Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Where do the names of Hamer different models come from?

Ok, some of them seem quite evident to me. For example, "Vector" refers to the V-shape and at the same time is a "rock-and-metal-friendly" name. I wonder however who had the idea of that name. Jol? Other names, such as "Duotone", are more than obvious...

On the other hand, I don't know why the "Californian" has that name. "Chaparral" is also a weird name -- what is it supposed to mean? Also, I know "Diablo" means "Devil" in Spanish, but I don't think that guitar deserves such an evil name... and so on.

Any Hamer qualified historian around to tell us who named each guitar and why?

Edited to add:

And what about the name "Centaura"? How can that make any sense at all? :lol::D

I did noticed the spanish names too!

Chaparral sounds like "chaparro", a mexican word for a very short person..."chaparrito" is also used...

I'm curious again! :lol:

Looks like Chaparral is also a family name...

and...a green shrub from California!!! even the name of the plant comes from "chaparro"

so..is there something small on the Chaparral guitar??

I know the Talladega, Monaco, and Daytona are names of famous race tracks. Chaparral was a race car company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars Jol is a car and racing afficianado, so that's probably where they come from.

That makes a lot of sense!!! :lol:

Thanks Thunder!

My friend Roger Hart works for Kaman. He told me he suggested the "Vanguard" name inspired by the "Village Vanguard" club in NYC. He may have though of the Newport (Newport Jazz Festival) name also, but I'm not sure. CRS is hitting me hard these days!

RICK

Vector was also the name of an american auto maker that tried it's best to make the first american supercar. I think they sold far more posters than cars! :-)

Edited to add: Just remembered the Lamborghini Diablo. Not sure when the guitar first came out but the car came out in 1990 and I imagine it was probably talked about in the car magazines a year or two before that.

So, almost every name is car-related, right? Chaparral, Diablo, Vector, Daytona, Talladega, Monaco... WOW!

Keep'em coming, please!

I know the Talladega, Monaco, and Daytona are names of famous race tracks. Chaparral was a race car company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars Jol is a car and racing afficianado, so that's probably where they come from.

http://www.thehighchaparral.com/

What's a High Chapparel when its at home? The word must mean something particular!

Good day to you all from a noob.

I own a Vector Korina USA, Studio Custom USA and (yet to arrive) SATQ (for those gigs in dives).

Interestingly (or not) enough, while I thought it was a GREAT guitar name, if I recall correctly, Hamer had to stop using "Vanguard" (hence the change to "Artist Mahogany" and yes, I used the word "hence", in a parenthetical no less) because Kramer had used it in the 80s.

Interestingly (or not) enough, while I thought it was a GREAT guitar name, if I recall correctly, Hamer had to stop using "Vanguard" (hence the change to "Artist Mahogany" and yes, I used the word "hence", in a parenthetical no less) because Kramer had used it in the 80s.

LOL

At least it wasn't "ergo"... :D

Good day to you all from a noob.

I own a Vector Korina USA, Studio Custom USA and (yet to arrive) SATQ (for those gigs in dives).

Welcome, ibis.

Good lot of folks around here. Warning: The "For Sale..." board is a dangerous place. Yer three Hamers can become eight before you know it... :D

Oh, and don't think you can get away with mentioning guitars without posting some pics. We may be a "good lot", but we're a bit needy for the visuals. :lol:

Any story about the origin of the name "Centaura"?

Any story about the origin of the name "Centaura"?

Some of the guys at Hamer had just watched a gladiator movie?

Lots of cool Hamer model names, but my fave is by far Phantom. That is a perfect name for an edgy, dangerous rock dude's guitar.

Most of the names are cool, but I have issues with some Hamer names being, um, "borrowed" from other prior examples. I have owned both Ibanez, and later Hamer "Studio" models. Same with Ibanez and Hamer Artists. The name "Standard" was not specifically brand specific at the time, but when they came out with production Hamers both "Sunburst" and "Standard" were associated with another guitar company's product. Same with the "Special". I have never owned a Kramer Vanguard or an ESP Mirage, but they came first too, didn't they?

Bah, on second thought, what's in a name? I like the racetrack names and all the others, shared or not. The whole musical instrument gene pool is totally inbred and copied freely anyway, and the result is a great mish-mash of cool gear to play with. Z

Archived