Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hell has frozen over....

Check out Kinman's website on Strat tuning.. I have a vintage trem setup on mine. A little nut sauce, good string stretch in and winding the safety tuners correctly, the thing is flawless... I'd put it up against a PRS for tuning reliability.. On a vintage setup the tuner winds are crucial..

Check out Kinman's website on Strat tuning.. I have a vintage trem setup on mine. A little nut sauce, good string stretch in and winding the safety tuners correctly, the thing is flawless... I'd put it up against a PRS for tuning reliability.. On a vintage setup the tuner winds are crucial..

Well, I obviously don't know jack about Strats (yet) so I don't even know if the American Standards are considered to have a "vintage trem"??? Is that pathetic or what?

As for a Floyd Rose -- no freekin' way.

Vintage trem is a 6-point trem. Yours looks like it has a 2-point.

Yep, from what I know, the current Am Standards have two point trems (whatever that means LOL!).

Those newer American Standard trems are kind of a hybrid. They have the 2 point fulcrum piviots, and the vintage style bent steel saddles like the vintage 6 screw pivot trem.

I personally like the original cast AM Stand. saddles. They held the string in a groove for less sideways movement on the saddle, which you get with the vintage style bent steel saddles when you slack the strings from trem use.

The things that work for me to keep a Strat in tune are:

A graphtech trem nut (Lubricating graphite) or Derilin also a self lubricating plastic.

Locking Tuners. Schaller should drop right in with no drilling of holes. Or Sperzel. You gave to drill a hole for the stablizer pin. Some strats already have this hole. Take off a tuner if there is 2 guide pin holes, Schaller. If there is 3 holes, the one hole in the middle will accept Sperzels.

Graphtech string tree for the B&E.

Sometimes I ditch the string tree altogether IF I the guitar has staggered locking tuners. I just leave the B&E slots of the nut a little deeper to keep them in place and they don't pop out of the nut.

Also when setting the height of the trem baseplate make sure the 2 piviot points are set to the exact same height.

The Trem knife edges should be on the exact same horizontal plane. If they are off this adds friction and the knife edge may not return to the exact same spot.

Rock On!

Jaye has lost rock star staus until he posts a pic with a standard again. LOL

This from the guy who names his Spider Valve patches CrunchNMunch and Han Solo?

Ummmmm no. And Ice Cream Man rules.

Jaye has lost rock star staus until he posts a pic with a standard again. LOL

This from the guy who names his Spider Valve patches CrunchNMunch and Han Solo?

Ummmmm no. And Ice Cream Man rules.

Word. As if Jaye could lose his Rock Star Status.

Jaye Isham INVENTED Rock Star Status!

Those newer American Standard trems are kind of a hybrid. They have the 2 point fulcrum piviots, and the vintage style bent steel saddles like the vintage 6 screw pivot trem.

I personally like the original cast AM Stand. saddles. They held the string in a groove for less sideways movement on the saddle, which you get with the vintage style bent steel saddles when you slack the strings from trem use.

Am. Std. whole different thing... The original vintage type trems will stay in tune just fine if they are set up right.. no locking tuners, graph tech saddles ..anything.. The split tuners in the vintage trem system will lock the string if you do it right.

The bent steel saddles won't hang if lubed, the cast ones will. If the original nut is bone or something of that density that nut sauce stuff will work just fine. Some of the bent steel string trees work fine with lube, the machined ones don't.

If I had a Am. Std I might go with locking tuners and graphtech saddles(only for the cast saddles)...generally I just blocked the trem when I had them before.

I started down the path of buying acessories to make the trem work better and then backed away when I discovered a good setup did the same thing.. My Strat is a Clapton so it's a bit different than a American Std.

Am. Std. whole different thing... The original vintage type trems will stay in tune just fine if they are set up right.. no locking tuners, graph tech saddles ..anything.. The split tuners in the vintage trem system will lock the string if you do it right.

Thank you!

At last, a voice of reason.

The best Strat I ever owned was a new '89 '62RI (one of the Mary Kaye LE models). The only Strat I ever wanted back - it played incredibly well, had a perfect, solid feel and sounded great.

That trem, the standard RI trem at the time, NEVER had a problem. My Stikedelic Daytona with the Wilkinson trem is similarly stable, and it also stays in tune as well as my PRS.

Agreed 100% that the setups help with those things.

My tech has the Strat now and says it's no problem to get everything working properly and I should have it back in a couple of days. But this is funny, when I opened the case he said, "Good thing it's a not a Fender Custom Shop Strat! I've had six of them in here recently and every one of them were shit guitars." LOL!

Archived