Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A couple of noob questions

OK, here goes:

1. There's a Hamer Standard for sale with what is called "Ultimate wiring setup" for the pups. Any idea what this is, and why you would want it? Looks like it involves a couple of extra switces on the guitar top. It's on this Standard:

http://willcuttguitars.com/shop/catalog/pr...roducts_id=1018

2. What does GAS stand for? It sounds like someone who is jonesing for a Hamer but doesn't have the scratch. Is this close?

Thanks! :P

specialk

That Standard was ordered by and owned by a member. Although I've played it briefly, I have no idea about the wiring - I'll defer to him if he wishes to chime in.

GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Or the more general Gear Acquisition Syndrome... I often find myself GASing for amps, pedals ++ :P

As mentioned, it refers to the oxygen free Monster wire used only on the Hamer Ultimates, and not a particular schematic. Interestingly, Seymour also chose Ultimate pickups for this specific guitar based on the model and woods used. They only come standard on the Hamer Ultimates and have never been sold alone. (The after market replacements Hamer calls SLU's and are not hand signed) . The switches split each pickup for single coil options and are not part of the normal Ultimate wiring package.

According to Jol, the pile of Korina this board came out of took 5 years to get and yielded only one board big enough to make 5 1-piece bodies. Thus, in 2004, this was the 10th 1-piece standard Hamer has ever been able to produce. The are all reserved years in advance by major artists unless you get really lucky. IIRC BCR Greg got #9.

The one you cited also has the first use of the color Vintage Korina Burst. Jol said at the time it was one of the most difficult paint jobs they had ever done because unless the front and back bursts were perfectly blended, the white wood would show a dark line on the edge where the bursts overlap. He used to opportunity to brag about his co-workers.

The neck is a deep V similar to the feel of the golden era Gibson acoustics (LLoyd Loar)

Archived