Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bench Report...Drybass conversion

Well, our buddy Dry needed more roundness and less brittleness from his B12m. Having converted the "Not Chris" bass to Rio Grande Pittbulls, I knew that we could give Jim what he wanted. What follows is a photographing essay on the repair.

As usual, I have to say DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I do this for a living, and certain things that are easy for me may be critically damaging to your instrument if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Anyway, Before...

1drybefore.jpg

The emptied cavity...

2drycavity.jpg

The front before. Notice the tiny pot holes(easy, MC Chris) from the mini EMG controls..

3dryfacebefore.jpg

EMG does not use a string ground( Grounding the strings allows your body to shield the instrument from radio noise and the like, EMG doesn't feel that it's needed) so we need to put one in. I choose to use the bridge stud insert as the grounding point of choice. Drilling a hole into the bass is a ONE TIME affair, so I need to do it RIGHT and move on. I used to use a popsicle stick to protect the side of the hole as I drilled, but for Jimbo I put on the thinking cap, downed some java and came up with this...

4drythingamajig.jpg

Which does this...

5drydrilling.jpg

Maintaining a constant angle and locating the bit side to side, minimising damage and making me look even more like the genius that I am...LOL

Now we run some solid wire from the now hole to the cavity. To keep from buggering the wire, I chamfer the edge of the insert a little to allow it to gently but firmly make contact without cutting...

6dryanchor.jpg

Now the control holes are enlarged for our GENUWINE Hamer pots...

7dryenlarging.jpg

The Rios are a little deeper, so I need to deepen the pickup routes...

8dryroute.jpg

Much more to come, but alas I am tired and off to the rack I go.

Man I gotta get me one of those! :D

Guest galejt
Now the control holes are enlarged for our GENUWINE Hamer pots...

7dryenlarging.jpg

He made me watch him while he did this to my Newport! The man has stones!

Oh and, subliminal advertising is illegal in this country Meester Robin-sen :D

what's with the mini switch and the dual outputs? what're they there for?

The outputs are stereo. One output is the bridge pickup and the other is the neck pickup. Neck pickup to a bass amp and the bridge pickup to a guitar amp.

The mini switch is a stereo/mono selector. In mono both pickups are blended to both outputs equally.

VERY cool option. Wish I'd thought of that.

Hey Greg, any photos of a Pitbulled 8 string around anywhere? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I "rang it out" this weekend....

The Rio Grandes were a great choice!

The scratchy highs are gone and the tone is much smoother and fatter.

Very natural sounding. I find that I have to boost some lows on my pre-amp a bit more but it sounds awesome. The only problem is I've had this never ending erection ever since I started playing it this weekend and it just won't seem to go away!

"I will never use EMG's again"

"I will never use EMG's again..... but they sound great on your bass." :)

Thanks Greg!

Archived