Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 4-digit Standard on eBay

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be fun to watch!

B)

Okay guys,

I've bought a few things on ebay, but I must still live a very sheltered life. The auction says it's got over 6 1/2 days to go. There's no BIN option. Why do you think this auction is gonna end early, and what is "back-doored"? You think some dude is gonna offer an ungodly amount of cash to the seller and the auction will mysteriously end? Thanks for any enlightenment....

sk

Okay guys,

I've bought a few things on ebay, but I must still live a very sheltered life. The auction says it's got over 6 1/2 days to go. There's no BIN option. Why do you think this auction is gonna end early, and what is "back-doored"? You think some dude is gonna offer an ungodly amount of cash to the seller and the auction will mysteriously end? Thanks for any enlightenment....

sk

Happens all the time. I wouldn't be too surprised although it's already gone up quite a bit...

Hope he's not going to end the auction early even though I won't be winner. I got a feeling there..

Many rare or desirable Hamers (excluding $550 Watsons!) seem to magically disappear when the seller is offered a wad of cash to cancel the auction early.

I'll be surprised if this one goes the full run, but we'll see...

Many rare or desirable Hamers (excluding $550 Watsons!) seem to magically disappear when the seller is offered a wad of cash to cancel the auction early.
So, how much should I offer him? B)

Take your hands off my future guitar!!! B)

Start at $4k and work your way up from there..assuming it is all original and as the seller states.

It looks like an unbroken, un-Kahlered bound and crowned '83/'84 model, so it could get up there. Not sure what to make about the back being black, but the pics aren't all that clear, so don't know if there's a break under that stuff. Even so, it would be worth a lot more than where the auction is right now! If it's all intact and original, it could end up being more than that number.

I know this guitar, Bidders beware!!!!

Be sure and ask for detailed photos of this one, you don't want to be surprised when you crack the case.

Peter

Do tell, oh wise one!!

B)

What's the skinny? The black back strikes me as odd...

I just inquired about the originality of the black back. We'll see if he allows other watchers to see the question and the answer. I asked if it was original. I asked if there were any known repairs. I asked if he would guarantee that fact. We'll see. I have no preconceived notions. I just want an original Standard.

Be sure and ask for detailed photos of this one, you don't want to be surprised when you crack the case.

Peter

I guess we better work something out concerning your black sunburst then. Hope you got my last e-mail.

But I hope you'll enlighten us with some insider info on this standard... B)

I did ask a couple of questions yesterday about 5PM to the seller. He hasn't posted the questions or answers on the auction page.

Basically, I asked if the Standard is in original condition, if any dings go through the finish, and if the electronics all work. I may have asked if there were any other issues with the guitar, I don't remember. Here's the response:

"Yes, the guitar is all original. I am the original owner. Everything works perfect, neck is straight. The guitar has 2 small dings on body, and one on head. You can see them in the pict. It has been played very little and has been stored in case under bed for years.

- emmmy70"

Even tho the guy has good feedback, The auction has only $200 worth

of paypal protection. Before bidding, you might want to do a little research

on the best way to protect yourself (amex?)

and... is it my imagination or does the back of the headstock look like it has

some swirl marks?

Peter

Is this an attempt to scare off the competition, or is there some truth to your claims? Why do you warn people to beware?

Peter

Is this an attempt to scare off the competition, or is there some truth to your claims? Why do you warn people to beware?

Don't know who you are but...Peter don't bullshit so.. B)

Guest pirateflynn

Peter

If Peter is giving the members a head's up you should take notice and do your own homework concerning this guitar. There are a handful of guys here who's knowledge and experience is invaluable and HamStd is right at the top. He has no reason to scare off the competition.

Peter

If Peter is giving the members a head's up you should take notice and do your own homework concerning this guitar. There are a handful of guys here who's knowledge and experience is invaluable and HamStd is right at the top. He has no reason to scare off the competition.

I agree. if Peter wanted the guitar, I imagine it would already be on it's way to him B). On the other hand, as long as you're dropping by to warn people off this guitar, why not DMKLI? If you don't it inevitably leads to the sort of exchange that just occurred.

-Austin

I respect the heck out of Peter, and I'm sure he knows this guitar very well as he says. But why do it the way he did - it just stirs up the pot and raises questions that have already been raised? And just how does a guy do "homework" on an ebay guitar? Ideally we'd have a nice and communicative seller, but that's not the case. If Peter knows the issues, he should let us know.

Guest pirateflynn

I respect the heck out of Peter, and I'm sure he knows this guitar very well as he says. But why do it the way he did - it just stirs up the pot and raises questions that have already been raised? And just how does a guy do "homework" on an ebay guitar? Ideally we'd have a nice and communicative seller, but that's not the case. If Peter knows the issues, he should let us know.

If you're a serious bidder (and not just curious) then I would suggest that you PM him. As far as homework goes, if you have an uncooperative seller, that's the end of the road.

Archived