Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 4-digit Standard on eBay

Peter IS an authority on this stuff, and has probably seen (or spoken to the owners) of a good chunk of the early Hamer production out there. He probably has pretty decent notes on some of these in case they come up for sale at some point, but then again, he's one of the few people I know who can recite Circus magazine articles word-for-word from 1978. B)

Peter and I were in touch about Hamers/Old Standards years before there was an HFC (or widespread use of the internet). That was back in the days of letters and stamps, for you younger folk out there!

He's not such an expert on Travis Bean stuff though...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have no idea what is wrong with this guitar, but I'm glad it got out of my price range before I decided to bid. It looks like you will have to ask the seller exactly what issues it has for him to give out any useful info. Someone asked about breaks/repairs to the neck, and the seller said none, to the neck. So where else might there be one, and do you have to ask the seller about every part of the guitar before they tell you what problems there might be? Just wondering...

sk

Well, I have no idea what is wrong with this guitar, but I'm glad it got out of my price range before I decided to bid. It looks like you will have to ask the seller exactly what issues it has for him to give out any useful info. Someone asked about breaks/repairs to the neck, and the seller said none, to the neck. So where else might there be one, and do you have to ask the seller about every part of the guitar before they tell you what problems there might be? Just wondering...

sk

That's what he told me yesterday: 2 small chips on body, one on top, you can see in pict. The guitar is in very good condition, I bought it new, everything is original with no repairs.

That's what he told me yesterday: 2 small chips on body, one on top, you can see in pict. The guitar is in very good condition, I bought it new, everything is original with no repairs.

Either he's a bloody liar, or there's nothing wrong with it. Same old same old.

I got the cash to play ball on this one but i'm siting out.

To quote the Pirate "if you have an uncooperative seller, that's the end of the road."

I hope the best if one of you guys takes a chance on it!!

I just wrote the seller again, asking if he could post close up pix of the front and back of the guitar. Hopefully he can, but I don't know if anyone else has asked about more pix. Camstone has a great idea, if anyone knows someone in the seller's vicinity. Nothing beats a hands-on checkup.

sk

The seller answered my question in a timely fashion. He said he ordered it with the black back and there were no issues. I talked to a good friend today. If you are interested, you better be ready to snipe at the end. I think there are folks that know this guitar and are ready to pop for all the money. It'll be fun to watch.

The seller answered my question in a timely fashion. He said he ordered it with the black back and there were no issues. I talked to a good friend today. If you are interested, you better be ready to snipe at the end. I think there are folks that know this guitar and are ready to pop for all the money. It'll be fun to watch.

I think the guy's legit and so is his guitar. This will be an interesting auction.

I also got a timely response from the seller.

FWIW, I'm NOT bidding on it, so all the best to those in the hunt!

I'm on the sidelines of this auction too. It ought to get interesting towards the end. Good luck to anyone here who goes for it.

Now if only HamStd would come back on and explain his earlier post....

sk

I think Peter wont come back because his warning was intended to dissuade potential bidders. I don't know if I'll bid or not, probably not, but who knows. It just really bothers me that a guy with a good rep comes on and stains this guitar, and what's the result - the future owner if he shows it here has to defend it against these comments? It's all too common a tactic in the collectible guitar world I'm afraid.

I think Peter wont come back because his warning was intended to dissuade potential bidders. I don't know if I'll bid or not, probably not, but who knows. It just really bothers me that a guy with a good rep comes on and stains this guitar, and what's the result - the future owner if he shows it here has to defend it against these comments? It's all too common a tactic in the collectible guitar world I'm afraid.

Peter has warned me before when I thought about bidding on the black "virtual" standard with sustainblock on ebay u.k. which I had mentioned in an earlier thread and his e-mail info was very helpful (and he was damn' right and Serial confirmed that too). And I too believe that if he wanted this standard on ebay now he would already have it sitting next to him on his fancy sofa! B)

There is no tactics going on here. There might be a mistaken guitar..... I don't know. P. F. would not use something as simple as this to keep people from buying. I'll bet he doesn't end up with it or even put a bid on it.

No bets on the bid thing. I think he has enough Hamers to last him awhile. LOL

Even if it wasn't like that, everyman for themselves. If you want it... Don't bitch.... bid!

Peter will come around on the "whats up" with the fiddle. If the fiddle is "TRUE", nobody will have a problem bragging about it after they get it. Myself... I hope it's all original and someone get's a hell of a deal!

EDIT: I'm not a prick. But I do have to ask you this.... Did you bid on the guitar? If so, did someone else outbid you? When it's all said and done and the total money is posted, let me know how much you upped the price on this auction. At least tell me how much you bid. And let the new owner speak for themselves.

I lied... I am a prick. And e-bay SUCKS!

Funds are topped way up. Back to the races!! GL!!

B) Lady & Mr.Scary!! B)B)B)B)B):wub:

Unfortunately, I can't weigh in on this one-I see nothing wrong with the guitar and everything looks ok from the pics, but I also don't have the guitar in hand. I'd be interested to find out (more out of curiousity) to see where that guitar was ordered from-IIRC, Duncan Music had the Hamer line before Sam Moss did-hmmm.

In my copies of the log books, of all of the four digit stuff I have, I'm missing the last two lines on exactly ONE page. The page with #0620 and ending in #0621... The top of the next page starts with #0622. I know that #0620 has no binding, but that's all I could read!

Don't know who had asked the question but I hope it's o.k. to quote the seller's answer on ebay:

I still have the the original warranty tag. I ordered the guitar custom in early 1979. I ordered the guitar from Neil Kronenthal, the owner of the guitar shop in Scottsdale Az. He was the Hamer guitar dealer at that time. The store closed about 5-6 years ago. I can assure you that only people who played the guitar outside the factory are myself, Neil, and Bob Turner owner of the Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix AZ. He will verify this info for you, he can be reached at 602-248-9297. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong this guitar, other then the dings in it, that happen to all musical instruments that get played. The Guitar has been stored under bed since 1981. I can also GUARANTEE you that the so called "Hamer Expert" Pete has never seen this guitar.

edited for grandma...

If that's the case, somebody could get a cool 4-digit at a great price.

GO for it!

I'm not bidding, have no dog in this fight, and don't know Peter except from his good reputation. But I think it'd be cool if he posted a line or two to say either that he was mistaken or is positive he was not. It leaves a bad IMPRESSION, no matter the original intent, to drop a hint that something is rotten in Denmark but not substantiate it.

+1.

sk

ON EDIT: Hell, I may wind up getting into the bidding. The seller said he just took some new and better pix and is supposed to email me a few. To quote sw686blue, "This is going to be very interesting..."

Look, I'm just saying... HFC is supposed to be a supportive community.

+1 let's keep it that way otherwise it's just another stupid forum.

Archived