Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 4-digit Standard on eBay

I don't know-I'm not seeing a single issue with this one. Wish I had the registry info on it!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pirateflynn

I don't believe in perpetuating any rumors of a member who belongs to this forum.

Who has experience in purchasing early rare Hamers? No one more than a few notable HFC members. When one of those guys says - beware, make sure you get extra detailed photos - of a particular guitar that will sell in the thousands of dollars, I listen. He might be right or he might be wrong about this guitar, but I listen, and go the extra step in protecting my investment. Since then he has been directly accused of scaring off the competition so he himself can buy that guitar at a lower price. That is unsubstanciated and in very bad form.

For those who have not been around here very long or haven't been paying attention, Peter does not talk about an ebay guitar that he is interested in prior to the completion of an auction. In fact, he almost never talks about his purchases even after they occur. He has on occasion taken time out to help many of us who are just getting our feet wet at this investment level. I have competed against him a few times and I have to admit that he has seriously beat the pants off of me during negotiating for a guitar of interest and I have been disappointed, but I respect him all the more for it. His commitment is solid and his experience is deep. Maybe I've nabbed a couple that he was going for too but I'm not as sure about that.

I can't speak for him but I would wager that he wishes he never spoke up in the first place. I would advise you guys to have a little more faith in your brothers.

Then stay out of it.

Look, I'm just saying... HFC is supposed to be a supportive community. ANY member who has earned a solid reputations, such as Peter, you, me, Greg, HHB, etc. should at least say "PM me and I'll give you the lowdown on this rumor I just dropped."

Dropping a remor about a guitar's pedigree when a fellow HFCer might be about to spend several thousand dollars, and then NOT elaborating is, in my opinion, not in the spirit of this society.

Mods, feel free to yank these posts and put in the OC under an appropriate topic. I think my post -- and a few preceding ones -- are getting beyond the proper scope of the FS/FT/PIF section but I do think I make a valid point about what the HFC is supposed to be about. Supporting fellow Hamer afficionados.

In Peter's defense....that is his standard warning when he knows about a guitar in question. He usually doesn't elaborate on the forum. His expertise on Hamers is at the top of the list, along with Serial.

Refer to this other 4-digit Standard that was on EBAY not long ago, on which Peter (HamStd) made a similar warning...and proved to be dead on.

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.p...=26029&st=0

I heard back from the seller. He answered all my questions and sent 7 or 8 detailed pictures. They look good, but I'm not an expert by any means. I asked him if I could repost the pix here. If he says yes, I will certainly do so.

sk

Hi,

I am the owner of the Hamer PSA 4-digit standard on E-bay. Thanks to some of the bidders on E-bay, they told me of the postings on HFC. I have been following it for a few days now. I now feel its time to step up and clarify this once and for all.

I do not know Peter. By reading this forum, its seems that he is well respected, and very knowledgeable on Hamar's. I am sure Peter has mistaken this guitar as another one, and posted what he did to protect the fellow members. Im sure he did not intently post to stain this guitar, but apparently he has a lot of people guessing. I just wish people would have there facts straight before they post. To clarify this, I can GUARANTEE that Peter has never seen this guitar.

I custom ordered this guitar in Scottsdale AZ, from Neil Knonenthal, at The Guitar Shop who was the Hamer dealer at the time. He no longer is a dealer, but is still in the area and still plays in a band out there. I could probably track him down.

At that time in my life I was collecting guitars and was in a band. I had some notable guitars such as a 59 Sunburst Les Paul, 57 Gold Top Les Paul, among many others. I have sold most these long ago. Not too much longer after the purchase of the Hamer, I got out of the band and collecting guitars, because becoming involved in full time racing. The remaining guitars in my collection have been left untouched and been stored under my bed since. I just recently began selling them on E-Bay. I have been friends with Bob Tuner who owns Bazaar Guitar in Phoenix AZ. Bob is a very well known respected guitar dealer and will verify this information for anyone.

Apparently the value on this Hamer has gone up considerably. I had many inquiries about it since its been posted for sale. I have had considerable large offers for it. I have decided to let the auction run its course on E-Bay. The Guitar is everything I have stated it is. If anyone wants to come by and inspect the guitar, they may do so. Someone is coming by to inspect it today, but I am not sure if they are a member of HFC.

I hope this posting puts all the Rumors to rest. This is a great piece. I will be happy to answer any question on this guitar in this forum. Good Luck Bidding!

Steve McEachern

Well, there you have it!

Thanks for posting Steve, and all the best to all the bidders on this one. This is still at a "steal" price for a custom-ordered 4-digit B/C Standard from the original owner, and should be a good opportunity for somebody to snag one.

There aren't many of them out there, as you all know. Good luck!

thanks for joining in the HFC forum Steve and addressing the issues head on. its a beautiful custom standard, and hopefully it finds a home in the Hamer lunatic community.

Looks good to me!

Even has the custom-engraved bell TRC.

I can't figure out why, but the more I look at that black back the more I am liking it. I know this Standard was a custom order, but does anyone know if this was a common option? Are there a lot of them out there with the black back? Thanks!

sk

You mean other than black Standards? No, it is not common at all.

Thats me. :P Your not going to make me sign the guitar now?? Didn't know those were on E-bay too.

I always thought someone who just BOUGHT a hamer would become a member.

With you it's the other way round. I love that guitar you're selling but I know for sure I won't be the future owner. Thanks for all the info. Buying guitars on ebay would be much easier if there were more people like you.

C.

Un-Real. I may be able to afford the die-cast LOL!

+1 on that! I am definitely on the sidelines for this auction. Good luck to all involved. I'm sure that beauty is worth every penny, I just don't have that many pennies lying around. :P

sk

Ok, since it's almost out of my range now, I 'll tell ya...

I was the one who got to check it out Friday. I live one hour away. It was like the old days going to see a Hamer I found in the Trading Post. Of course this one would not be $350. When I got there, Steve & girlfriend were very nice. There were lots of horses & cars. We talked about guitars & cars for a while, but of course you want to know about the guitar...

I found zero evidence of any repairs. It looked all original to me. The truss rod cover is his name & that's him on the racing truck box. There were very few dings for a 4 digit Standard. The black back looks cooler in person than in the photos. This is one worth having for sure.

Thanks Steve.

I found zero evidence of any repairs. It looked all original to me. The truss rod cover is his name & that's him on the racing truck box. There were very few dings for a 4 digit Standard. The black back looks cooler in person than in the photos. This is one worth having for sure.

How did it play and sound?

To be clear, yes i covet the guitar. Yes, it is out of my range now... :/ Still interested in how it sounded, though.

Call me the tire kicker... :P

Archived