Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 4-digit Standard on eBay

I found zero evidence of any repairs. It looked all original to me. The truss rod cover is his name & that's him on the racing truck box. There were very few dings for a 4 digit Standard. The black back looks cooler in person than in the photos. This is one worth having for sure.

How did it play and sound?

To be clear, yes i covet the guitar. Yes, it is out of my range now... :/ Still interested in how it sounded, though.

Call me the tire kicker... :P

It played good. I didn't play it through an amp. I never do that when trying out a guitar for some reason.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David B:

I don't know if anyone here is still in the auction, but I wanted to say thanks on our behalf for making the trip to see the Hamer, and reporting back on its condition. Especially with today's gas prices, that was a cool thing to do. Although it must've been cool to be able to check out that beauty too. :P

Anyway, thanks bro!

ON EDIT: Steve, if you're still following this thread, I hope you are playing the heck out of your Hamer!

Well, David B's input certainly calls Peter's warning into question (which, as of now, remains the last post he's made anywhere on the HFC). Has he clarified his alleged familiarity with the guitar to anyone off the board?

Guest pirateflynn

Peter was in Boston this past week. As Gene said, he has apologized to the owner of this guitar as he was mistaken.

Deserved or not, some people on this board hang blindly on his every word.

He took the time to email the seller to apologize, which is great, but he could have done so publicly.

Hi,

I am the owner of the Hamer PSA 4-digit standard on E-bay. Thanks to some of the bidders on E-bay, they told me of the postings on HFC. I have been following it for a few days now. I now feel its time to step up and clarify this once and for all.

I do not know Peter. By reading this forum, its seems that he is well respected, and very knowledgeable on Hamar's. I am sure Peter has mistaken this guitar as another one, and posted what he did to protect the fellow members. Im sure he did not intently post to stain this guitar, but apparently he has a lot of people guessing. I just wish people would have there facts straight before they post. To clarify this, I can GUARANTEE that Peter has never seen this guitar.

I custom ordered this guitar in Scottsdale AZ, from Neil Knonenthal, at The Guitar Shop who was the Hamer dealer at the time. He no longer is a dealer, but is still in the area and still plays in a band out there. I could probably track him down.

At that time in my life I was collecting guitars and was in a band. I had some notable guitars such as a 59 Sunburst Les Paul, 57 Gold Top Les Paul, among many others. I have sold most these long ago. Not too much longer after the purchase of the Hamer, I got out of the band and collecting guitars, because becoming involved in full time racing. The remaining guitars in my collection have been left untouched and been stored under my bed since. I just recently began selling them on E-Bay. I have been friends with Bob Tuner who owns Bazaar Guitar in Phoenix AZ. Bob is a very well known respected guitar dealer and will verify this information for anyone.

Apparently the value on this Hamer has gone up considerably. I had many inquiries about it since its been posted for sale. I have had considerable large offers for it. I have decided to let the auction run its course on E-Bay. The Guitar is everything I have stated it is. If anyone wants to come by and inspect the guitar, they may do so. Someone is coming by to inspect it today, but I am not sure if they are a member of HFC.

I hope this posting puts all the Rumors to rest. This is a great piece. I will be happy to answer any question on this guitar in this forum. Good Luck Bidding!

Steve McEachern

This is how a man does it. Kudos, Steve.

Let's all knock it off now, please.

Peter put something out there about this guitar and did not elaborate, leaving a lot of people questioning possible motives. Speculation as to why will not be continued in this thread or elsewhere on the board. If you have an issue with it, take it up off the board. Peter is a well-known, knowledgeable collector, and has been one of the longest-term members of the HFC. If he chooses to post an elaboration, I'd welcome it. I'd strongly encourage it, actually.

The seller graciously posted and by all appearances, is 100% above-board, and has a terribly rare and cool Standard for sale.

Further posts in this thread will have to pertain to the actual auction or the guitar, and not about other HFC members. This isn't going to be a crap-slinging contest. If you have a problem with that, feel free to contact me through the board.

If you are interested in bidding on a beautiful and hard-to-find original 4-digit Standard, the price is STILL reasonable at $4k.

Thanks also to Peter for warning us all of a potentially bad guitar on ebay. I for one appreciate his effort in alerting us to a possible bad deal. As was clarified above, how many black-backed old Standards are out there? Although it was a horrible case of mistaken identity, the error was caught and corrected before any serious harm could be done to any concerned parties. I really don’t think there were any ulterior motives in his warning. I hope this one bad experience doesn’t keep him from warning us of other bad deals that may happen in the future. His knowledge of Hamer’s is a big asset to those on this board.

Just my $0.02

Now get out there and bid like you want to own it! :P

Nice price.

Archived