Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Newport Appreciation Thread

Sam

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this Newport Pro - Jazzburst - for a year or so. A sweet and mellow sounding guitar!

Now it belongs to a friend of mine, here in Sweden. (I swapped it for an Artist Custom.)

cw-newpro-close.jpg

cw-newpro-side.jpg

cw-newpro-body.jpg

nice ice tea! I'm not a big fan of bursts but that is sweet.

yeah Fengato, black over spuce was a no-no. at some point BCR greg convinced them to build one for Tone Junkie and then ordered one for his shop. the one in the pic is the one I bought off the wall at BCR. I later bought TJ's as a back up but flipped it a couple years later. I think there might be one other spuce topped blackie out there.

sent it via a bulk budget USPS service that took two weeks. it was quite scary waiting for it as it went from Houston to New York and then back down to California before boarding the plane to Australia. Looking at the package, my pride and joy had been insured for a total of $627 USD, and was left at my front door

yeah, my old newport came usps from arizona in the dead heat of summer, took about 8 days, i was sweatin' it! but it arrived intact. beautiful guitar! i never really bonded w/ it because of the bigsby and body size (and it was so similar tonally to my duotone due to spruce top and phatcats). i sold it to mr fuzzy.

hamers11-05.jpg

Guest pirateflynn

i never really bonded w/ it because of the bigsby and body size

Visually, I think the Newport is the most balance of all the current models. The headstock that bothers some people (not me) ... looks "right" on a Newport.

1.jpg

took about 8 days, i was sweatin' it! but it arrived intact.

Having received the below guitar through the post last year (brand new), I am more than a little nervous during the shipping process. I'm just so very grateful that my Tiger Newport is safe and sound despite taking its time!

feninaq4.jpg

Good God! Can you tell us the name of the shipper who did that? I know you are in Australia, and they may have shipping companies North America doesn't, but that is just plain nuts, bro! I hope you were fairly compensated for your loss....

my current Newport Pro BE nix the birds eye in place of ultimate flame maple top. All maple body.

DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

Past Newport Pro BE, my friend begged me to sell it to him, otherwise I wouldnt have the current one, I would still have her, great sounding guitar, the new ones looks do it for me far more though:)

DSC_0010.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

This was my maple top Newport Pro before my custom order. It was a near perfect guitar.

And THAT guitar plus your comments are what pushed me over the edge to order my custom NP Pro. :P:P

It's the one from the 2000-2003 Hamer catalogues.

Conrad, I don't know if you've got this already, but I found a digital pic of your Newport on the Russian Hamer site. It has the most unmistakable grain pattern. Delicious!

Edit:

I just noticed that the NEWK has jumped a full $1000 in price this year. That's $300 more than the Pro BE (stock with vics, ebony board and figured maple top.) Interesting.

korinakz7.png

DSCN0858.jpg

This was my maple top Newport Pro before my custom order. It was a near perfect guitar.

You sold a near perfect guitar!! :blink::P How does it compare with your custom order?

If you don't mind me asking, how was your Newport categorized in the custom order process? Was it put through as a Pro with centre block, maple top and moved tailpiece, or was the order placed as a Newport 90 with buckers, maple top etc? At least the Vintage Natural wouldn't have been a further up-charge!

Well I have been mentioned twice in this thread so I'd better throw down.

So here are mine.

The Newport I got from Brooks and the Newport Pro with the maple top I got from Camstone. Then there is the non HFC aquisition the Newport pro with the spruce top.

newport_01.jpg

My friend stopped over tonight and I busted out the Newports for a jam. He wants one now.

newport_02.jpg

My 2000 Newport in orange sparkle - the original gangster :blink:

4140-and-Newport.jpg

Together with an 1980 Marshall 4140 Club & Country - "the Twin killer". These two are magic together.

My 2000 Newport in orange sparkle - the original gangster :blink:

4140-and-Newport.jpg

Together with an 1980 Marshall 4140 Club & Country - "the Twin killer". These two are magic together.

The orange sparkle Newport is just bad-assed. Too bad there's no way for a photograph to do it justice (though yours comes close). I remember seeing pictures of it when it first came out and wondering what they were thinking. Then I saw one in person and had to have it.

Great axe.

-Jonathan

DSC_0044-1.jpg

Past Newport Pro BE, my friend begged me to sell it to him, otherwise I wouldnt have the current one, I would still have her, great sounding guitar, the new ones looks do it for me far more though:)

I'm glad that you posted, Matt- out of all your Hamers, your Aztec Newport is my fav! Is that a Braz headstock overlay, or just a really colourful bit of ebony? The ebony overlay on mine is pretty dark and consistent- just a hint of chocolate striping here and there. Hope you get it back soon (at least the natural on the back of the neck should be a tidy/easy fix)

I'm loving the tone produced from the maple top on my custom (Fralin P-92s in the post!), so I'm thinking it might be time to retire the spruce.

newport4bi4.png

That is actually ebony overlay. I actually got it back today!

It's the one from the 2000-2003 Hamer catalogues.

Conrad, I don't know if you've got this already, but I found a digital pic of your Newport on the Russian Hamer site. It has the most unmistakable grain pattern. Delicious!

Edit:

I just noticed that the NEWK has jumped a full $1000 in price this year. That's $300 more than the Pro BE (stock with vics, ebony board and figured maple top.) Interesting.

korinakz7.png

That guitar is all over the net, a lot of shops use stock pictures, hadn't seen that one, do you have the link to the site ?

And the price reflects the the difficulty on finding good quality Korina , I guess..

They need a lot of Korina to build one like this....

That guitar is all over the net, a lot of shops use stock pictures, hadn't seen that one, do you have the link to the site ?

And the price reflects the the difficulty on finding good quality Korina , I guess..

They need a lot of Korina to build one like this....

Perhaps PRS gobbled a great deal of it up with the Korina McCarty line...

Here's the link:

http://www.hamer-guitars.ru/newport_photo131.html

That is actually ebony overlay. I actually got it back today!

How is she post the refin?

newport_01.jpg

Sweet triplets (love that bacco) - thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...

The one that started it all......

DSCN0074.jpg

Mahogany top on that prototype?

Oh, and here's mine, a fairly early one. I need to take a better pic to do this one justice. It's far and away my favorite guitar.

Newport-002.jpg

Archived