Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Newport Appreciation Thread

Sam

In my rush to purge, I was considering offering up this one. Cannot bring myself to actually do it....... (I am sure it has been posted before, but it bears repetition, IMO).

IMG_1224_zpsyt7q5uya.jpg

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Your Correct, you can't do that and I don't want to know what is sounds like in front of a Fuchs. 

Well, if you are ever "in da 'hood", just let me know!

1 hour ago, burningyen said:

I regret every Newport sale I've ever made. @django49, is it too late for dibs on that one?

That was Pirateflynn's was it not with the centerblock and the tail piece moved forward. I've always loved that guitar myself!

ArnieZ

13 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

That was Pirateflynn's was it not with the centerblock and the tail piece moved forward. I've always loved that guitar myself!

ArnieZ

Yes, I got it directly from him. Center block, bound f-holes, Brazilian, custom electronics, carved back, etc. A wonderful Custom Order!

More or less aimed at the "335" sort of thing. But the smaller body, lighter weight and solid woods make it a whole other animal. I recently did my own "shoot out" of various "semi-hollows", in no small part to see if I could let this one go. But I should have known that the answer would be, "Hell NO!".

On 10/30/2009 at 10:14 PM, Uncle Thor's Hamer said:

Here's the current configuration. It's a 2001 Newport Pro. The black hardware just never looked quite right to me, so the pickup rings were swapped out for creme ones, the switch tip was swapped to creme, and the knobs replaced with clear speed knobs. The tuners have been replaced with Grover 18:1 locking machines (no good pictures of those).

DSCF0883.jpg

The black knobs were ok but not perfect.

I'm glad this ancient thread was resurrected...I've been wanting to do the creme rings/clear knobs change to mine since I saw this one. Time to order up some parts! Might end up being a new home for the spare set of WB Gregwinds I've had laying around for a couple years!

• 8 months later...

PSA: Confirmed yesterday again and again that the Newport was the Best Hamer EVER! 

Using the Xits X10 loaded with a Scumback 75 Greenback, we plugged in one of the best Strats I've ever played, then my R8 (IMHO ONE OF THE BEST), Teles and even a Hamer Talladega and they all sound great. But once we plugged in the Newport it was all over, it was so good that I shut the amp off. Dragan gave me a funny look but it was so good I had to make him stop. Then we turned it back on so I could confirm it was a glorious as I thought. Just amazing, that amp is so touch sensitive anyway but then on top of it the newport is as well. You could do anything at just a touch without touching the knobs on the amp OR the guitar. 

One day i'll pick up another one, i'm just so floored by them every time I pick one up. 

FC8DACBA-15BA-40FA-A47E-04015A201465.jpgSince Bubs resurrected this wonderful thread which has always made me curious about the Newport, I gotta add.....this one is nearly the equal to my Ultimate. It is so good, I am floored. So last night I decided to crank her through my 5e3 tweed Deluxe.....oh my, there is a match made is guitar heaven. Gutbucket blues and fuzzy rnr tones just pour from the Cats....and I keep finding myself playing Nugent songs on this one, maybe due to the hollow body?

Anyway, I love my Newport. It has my korina Artist  very worried. Good thing that one has filters.....

I love my Newport! But don't play it as much as I should. One popped up on the local CL last Monday at a great price, but I told the seller to sell it to some one who could play it rather than let me put it in the closet. I'm on the his list but hoping it goes to a younger player who will actually use it.

I'm loving the hell out of the one I just recently traded for . After a recent drought, one completed and two mostly finished songs have already popped out of it. It's been quite a while since a guitar has made me so excited to play it. I think if I could score another with Phatcats or P90s it might just relegate former #1 SG Classic to also-ran status. Hard to beat that SG comfort, though. One of the things I do miss vs the bound-body Newport.

2001-Newport-sm.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

How does the filters sound in the  Newport v the Cats?

I wish I had one with Phatcats so I could tell you.

The TV Jones Classics sound kind of like compressed singles. Low output, but with a big humbucker feel.

The Mojotone P90s in my SG Classic drive my amp a lot harder than the TV Classics do, that's for sure. More mids in the P90s vs the more balanced TVs.

On May 4, 2016 at 8:48 PM, The Shark said:

Still loving this one.  Single best guitar I've ever paired up to my '59 Deluxe. 

dscn9680_zpswo5mimeb.jpg

I have wondered what one of these sounds like compared to the Standard Newport. I'm a big fan of the Phat Cat Pickups but this guitar has a look about it. 

Maybe someone can educate me.  I had a Newport (NEW) w the PhatCats and Bigsby.  LOVED the sound and feel of that guitar but could not deal with the Bigsby, so sold it to someone from the HFC, don't remember who - too long ago, sorry.  Anyway, always regretted letting that guitar go.  One time I almost bought the 12-string model (NEW12) to string up with only 6 because I thought that it was basically the guitar I had w/o the Bigsby.  Which leads me to my question, what should I do?  Excepting the custom ordered one-offs and NEWK, are there differences other than pick-ups - center blocks, top woods, etc.,that I need to keep aware of?  I believe the NEW has a spruce top vs maple of the PRO.  Was the 12 maple as well?  Especially anything that effects the tone.  Thinking about the neck & body now too.  Don't think they were all mahogany, some being maple?  If that's correct, then maybe that 12-string would not have worked so well after all. Thus, I am now interested in comments just how different the PhatCats in maple vs spruce would \ does sound.  I already mentioned what I am after so, would a Newport Pro (NEWPRO) and p/u swap work?  Is it that simple?  Trying to find specs of all the different models on-line is seeming to be fruitless.  Have to believe you guys here know.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, LittleC said:

Maybe someone can educate me.  I had a Newport (NEW) w the PhatCats and Bigsby.  LOVED the sound and feel of that guitar but could not deal with the Bigsby, so sold it to someone from the HFC, don't remember who - too long ago, sorry.  Anyway, always regretted letting that guitar go.  One time I almost bought the 12-string model (NEW12) to string up with only 6 because I thought that it was basically the guitar I had w/o the Bigsby.  Which leads me to my question, what should I do?  Excepting the custom ordered one-offs and NEWK, are there differences other than pick-ups - center blocks, top woods, etc.,that I need to keep aware of?  I believe the NEW has a spruce top vs maple of the PRO.  Was the 12 maple as well?  Especially anything that effects the tone.  Thinking about the neck & body now too.  Don't think they were all mahogany, some being maple?  If that's correct, then maybe that 12-string would not have worked so well after all. Thus, I am now interested in comments just how different the PhatCats in maple vs spruce would \ does sound.  I already mentioned what I am after so, would a Newport Pro (NEWPRO) and p/u swap work?  Is it that simple?  Trying to find specs of all the different models on-line is seeming to be fruitless.  Have to believe you guys here know.  Thanks.

My Pro has a spruce top.  No Phat Cats, though - Seths, I believe.

7 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

My Pro has a spruce top.  No Phat Cats, though - Seths, I believe.

The Pro came this way I think.

18 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I have wondered what one of these sounds like compared to the Standard Newport. I'm a big fan of the Phat Cat Pickups but this guitar has a look about it. 

I never had the 2 side-by-side to compare, so I can only opine based on fuzzy memory, but to my ears they sounded very similar. If pressed, I would say the N90 maybe had a faster attack and a bit more midrange heat and the standard Newport had a mellower, compressed twang. But I wouldn't be surprised if a side-by-side A/B showed that most listeners wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I have a Newport Pro, not a Bigsby fan either, I loved it when I got it with the Seth's. I had to see what the cats were all about and paid a pretty penny to get a set. They weren't available from Duncan then. I bought an extra set from Kim Keller. I put them in and liked them as well, but recently popped the Seth;s back in and honestly it's a tough call. Both of them work really well in this guitar

ArnieZ

My most recent addition to the stable back in early December.

These are some of the pictures that the guy I bought it from had on Reverb. Too much snow on the ground here for a photo shoot.

The Filtertrons are cool, never had a guitar with them before. The top on this one is sick.....

CropperCapture[5].jpg

CropperCapture[3].jpg

CropperCapture[2].jpg

CropperCapture[11].jpg

13 minutes ago, Camstone said:

My most recent addition to the stable back in early December.

These are some of the pictures that the guy I bought it from had on Reverb. Too much snow on the ground here for a photo shoot.

The Filtertrons are cool, never had a guitar with them before. The top on this one is sick.....

CropperCapture[5].jpg

CropperCapture[3].jpg

CropperCapture[2].jpg

CropperCapture[11].jpg

Dude! WTF! Amazing! Congratulations and enjoy! If no one else has called it let's do this now, DIBS! Beautiful! 

Archived