Hamer Fan Club Message Center

great guitars need great amps

What day is it???? :P

which one of you two guys asks?

It's directed to himself. Kurtsuff has a reputation for going through a lot of very good amplifiers. :P

For me, i spend most of my time on a Mesa TriAxis into a 20/20 power amp into a Dr Z Z Best cab. When i need to (or just wanna) get loud, i have a Germino RG with KT66 power tubes and a Marshall JCM 800 stack. Few other cats and dogs, but the Mesa and Germino are the two "go to's" for the moment.

didn't know about this - i was wondering 'bout kurt's signature :)

how do you like the triaxis? have you had problems with the display?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you like the triaxis? have you had problems with the display?

I've had the TriAxis since they first came out. I love it. I get a good range of sounds with it. I like the clean channels, though i like the LoneStar better for that. Hopefully someday i'll get one... :) The TriAxis has a *great* light crunch/classic rock sound, which is where i'm at mostly. It doesn't pop you in the chest, but that's what a JTM-45 is for, right? ;)

As far as the front panel - oddly enough, i just had a segment go out in one of the LEDs. Haven't gotten around to fixin' it yet. Not a big deal, quite frankly.

As far as usability, it's a great "tweak and store" amp. It's a little tough to get to some of the advanced features, like the continuous controllers, etc., but i leave the manual close by for when i do that stuff. Which means that's not something i would tweak at the gig.

At this point, i have the presets tuned in well enough that i don't make many adjustments live. I think the fact that it is harder to tweak live prevents me from bothering to. When i think, "I could use a bit more mids here..." i immediately respond with, "Screw it - just keep playing..." Kinda' liberating: One less thing to be doing at the gig. :P Then i adjust back at the homestead later or at the next rehearsal. It took me about a half-dozen or so gigs to make the amp feel right.

The 20/20 works well for the small to medium gigs with a mic'd cab. It is fairly loud, but not a lot of headroom. It breaks up nicely at around 10 o'clock, which is a problem when you're using a preamp. I've done gigs with the TriAxis on a clean setting with the 20/20 kickin' and control the OD with the guitar volume. If you like EL84 distortion (i do), it's a good match. The TriAxis is way overkill for that, though, obviously.

Anyway, i ramble...

Opinions vary, so trust yer own ears... :P

Here's a pic of my Stephenson 30 watt combo. These are made by Mark Stephenson in BC, Canada.

The amp has a very flexible output tube switching capability which gives the capability of running the 4 output tubes (2 x 6V6 and 2 xEL84) in any combination including single ended mode. It also has Power Scaling which I have found to be a great way to get a cranked sound at more reasonable volumes.

Please ignore the "non-Hamer" guitar in the photo :blink:

IMG_0143.jpg

Depending on guitar used and venue:

Fender '57 Tweed Twin RI

Engl Blackmore

Bogner Ecstasy

Matchless DC-30

Matchless Clubman

Red Iron T-Rex

I keep a JBL EON around for acoustic amplification,

and silverface Fender Princeton Reverb & VibroChamp for low volume/in house playing/practicing.

Clean

hjoyce.jpg

to Mean

Matamp_GT1_sm.jpg

Wow a Matamp GT1 don't see many of those especially on the Hamer Fanclub.

Crappy wide shot, but I ran out of room.

CHANDLERTELE.jpg

'59 Tweed Deluxe, Custom 18wt Marshall Combo, Brown Note D'Lite 22, Brown Note D'Lite 44 Bluesmaster, Red '71 Marshall 50wt in custom covered Bassman cab & a pair of 2x12 Bogner cabs hiding somewhere out of sight. Now, I need a killer Hamer Standard!

• 2 months later...

Crappy wide shot, but I ran out of room.

CHANDLERTELE.jpg

'59 Tweed Deluxe, Custom 18wt Marshall Combo, Brown Note D'Lite 22, Brown Note D'Lite 44 Bluesmaster, Red '71 Marshall 50wt in custom covered Bassman cab & a pair of 2x12 Bogner cabs hiding somewhere out of sight. Now, I need a killer Hamer Standard!

really cool gear.

Currently playing through a Komet 60W head into a mid-70's front load Hiwatt 4x12 w/ Fanes. Usually just straight into the amp although I do have a Matchless Hotbox if I wanna mess with the sound some. I'll try and get some pics taken and post here soon.

I've also got a Hiwatt 200 head w/ the 4 KT88's, but sadly she is DOA right now. I will need to go through her and bring her back to life. Just one more project to work on...

Archived