Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Now this was just pathetic...

cmatthes

I will take 80's music over 90's music damn near every time.

80's music was about having a good time and 90's music was stare at your shoes and whine about stuff because your uncle molested you as a kid. BTW No offense to anyone that has happened to.

To anyone who thinks everything out of Seattle in the early 90's was serious and shoegazing I offer them this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirvana didn't really do anything new...it just caught on with them.... and then it got ruined.. there were a lot of cool bands cruising under the surface in the 80's like the Replacements Husker Du, Pixies and a bunch more who couldn't get mainsteam airplay... Nirvana made all that stuff suddenly cool for the masses... I don't think anybody ever listened to their first album... I remember telling some people that Nirvana was going to be huge and they laughed, 6 monthes later you'd thought they invented them.

Lot's of people think of the 90's as the period of alt rock..., I think that's when it ended.. IMO the height of the alt scene was the 80's when hairbands ruled but their was a cool underground scene. I imagine a lot of the metal folks gagged when the hairbands got big.

Nirvana didn't really do anything new...it just caught on with them.... and then it got ruined.. there were a lot of cool bands cruising under the surface in the 80's like the Replacements Husker Du, Pixies and a bunch more who couldn't get mainsteam airplay... Nirvana made all that stuff suddenly cool for the masses... I don't think anybody ever listened to their first album... I remember telling some people that Nirvana was going to be huge and they laughed, 6 monthes later you'd thought they invented them.

Lot's of people think of the 90's as the period of alt rock..., I think that's when it ended.. IMO the height of the alt scene was the 80's when hairbands ruled but their was a cool underground scene. I imagine a lot of the metal folks gagged when the hairbands got big.

Agreed completely. That's the stuff I was listening to primarily in the 80s. I'd say that that era was probably existent between 1985-1995. I thought that the hairspray stuff got so out of hand and silly that it was just an empty caricature of itself. Sure, guitarists could all play a million notes, but the stuff all sounded like $hit-when someone drove past you blaring Dokken, Ratt, Poison, or any of the million and a half wannabees (like Black n' Blue), all you could here was a "Whoosh" of treble. Silly and stupid stuff. And then there was the comical Satriani/Vai/Malmsteen mess...

Husker Du, Mudhoney, early Soundgarden, early Lemonheads and more bands that I've forgotten rocked harder than the Warrants and other MTV darlings ever could.

Edited to add that yes, Supersuckers are the best thing to ever come out of Seattle.

Edited to add that yes, Supersuckers are the best thing to ever come out of Seattle.

No no sorry...that's spelled S-t-a-r-b-u-c-k-s.

No, see...you are wrong.

The Seattle bands each had some decent stuff, but the "grunge" movement did nothing for me when taken on the whole. It may have been an antidote to Poison, but I think it ultimately gave birth to cookie monster music and the whole EMO thing.

No, see...you are wrong.
No love for James Marshall Hendrix?

Can't argue with that.

So, to sum up, it goes:

1. Jimi
  2. Starbucks
  3. Everything else.

Hair Nation is a station I listen a lot on Sirius. They do play a lot of lame 80s hair stuff from bands who were just copying the big bands of the era - happens all the time. I enjoy listening to that stuff and still by stuff that sounds like that. Case in point: The new Whitesnake CD Good to be Bad is awesome and it sounds like it was recorded right after their 1987 CD.

I have to give props to Queensryche as a Seattle band that was great. Thay have gotten lamer with the last few releases, but O:MC is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

Close but not quite... the best thing would be spelled G-r-u-n-t-r-u-c-k

Tribe

I know there are a couple guys here that will agree wit' me...

I have to give props to Queensryche as a Seattle band that was great. Thay have gotten lamer with the last few releases, but O:MC is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

Just "the last few releases"? :D I would rather say their first few releases made of them a great band. After O:MC I just can't think of anything really exciting about them -- "Empire" could have been exciting to them given all the copie$ they $old, but to me it was the lamest album ever! :D

Just "the last few releases"? :D I would rather say their first few releases made of them a great band. After O:MC I just can't think of anything really exciting about them -- "Empire" could have been exciting to them given all the copie$ they $old, but to me it was the lamest album ever! :D

Lamest Album??? C'mon, Jet City Woman, Best I Can and Della Brown are great songs!!

That's not a lame album!!

And...i know you listen to even lamer type of music, :D , so please don't hit on "Empire" just because you don't like anymore...you use to like it!!!! :D

I never liked "Empire".

But of course, I do like some (other) lame music. :D We all have our "guilty pleasures", though liking it or not doesn't change anything about the "lameness" of the thing itself.

In any case, it's all about "our personal tastes", right? :D

Unless they're different from somebody else's!!

:D :D :D :D

Unless they're different from somebody else's!!

:D :D :D :D

:D

Ok, here it goes: grunge sucks, prog metal sucks, power metal sucks, hair metal sucks, nu metal sucks, death and grindcore suck, shred sucks and only thrash rules!!!! :D

[Close but not quite... the best thing would be spelled G-r-u-n-t-r-u-c-k

Tribe

I know there are a couple guys here that will agree wit' me...

I saw them with Screaming Trees and Alice In Chains. ST was the best band of the night.

Just to get back on topic, that song/video that was linked in the first post contained no metal nor any mania.

:D

Thank you for understanding the purpose of the post!!

Well put.

I actually loved the 80's and I personally think that Kurt Cobain RUINED Rock & Roll. ....Of course this is my personal opinion.

And you'd be totally wrong.

I was an 80's hard rock metal head guitar playing musician and it was exactly bands like Black and Blue that made me ashamed for wearing my hair long.

Seattle saved rock (and in many ways rock guitar) -- Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana ---- songs, riffage, and compelling lyrics - Cobain was a bridge over an abyss created by hair metal. Thank God for him (and others).

R.

I actually loved the 80's and I personally think that Kurt Cobain RUINED Rock & Roll. ....Of course this is my personal opinion.

And you'd be totally wrong.

I was an 80's hard rock metal head guitar playing musician and it was exactly bands like Black and Blue that made me ashamed for wearing my hair long.

Seattle saved rock (and in many ways rock guitar) -- Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana ---- songs, riffage, and compelling lyrics - Cobain was a bridge over an abyss created by hair metal. Thank God for him (and others).

R.

I did say it was my personal opinion.

I did say it was my personal opinion.

I understood that part... some folks hold the opinion that the earth is still flat - they'd be wrong as well.

(no hard feelings because I'm poking a finger here, but seriously -- I really think the argument could be made that Cobain (and his ilk) actually saved rock n roll, and rock guitar.)

Oh my God! I finally clicked the link...

I don't know where to start, so I won't.

Ick. I'm ashamed for them.

---

WAIT!

Amazon reviews of their Nasty Nasty album - now I'm ashamed all over again:

"Following on the heels of 1985's "Without Love," the band hit gold with "Nasty Nasty." The album spawned a semi-hit, "I'll Be There For You," that got a little airplay, but it is far from the best song on the album. For me, that honor goes to "Does She or Doesn't She." That is one song I can play over and over without getting tired of. But honestly, there really isn't a bad song on the album. I think I might even go as far as saying this is one of the best hard/melodic rock albums of the late 80's. It really is that good.

Gene Simmons got involved with the band around this time. He had a hand in the production of this album and its lackluster followup "In Heat." The band gives a nod to Kiss in the title track, "Nasty Nasty." During the bridge of the song, they pop in the guitar bridge from The Elder's "Only You." Really cool! Also, Kiss drummer Peter Criss shares vocals on "Best in the West."

What you get here from Jaime St. James, Jeff Watson, Tommy Thayer, Patrick Young, and Pete Holmes is an exceptional album of melodic hard rock, probably one of the very best releases of 1986. I've worn out two tapes and have finally managed to get a copy on CD. This is indeed the band's very best album. "

---

But "Nasty Nasty" is my favorite album by Black n' Blue. Just a solid album from top to bottom. The catchy guitar riff that opens the disk with the title tune will have you playing air guitar immediately. The drum and bass combo opening "I Want it All" is great, and I would have loved to see these songs performed live. There really isn't a bad song on the cd, and if you are into 80's hair-metal this disk is a must have!

---

Archived