Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite distortion pedal?

specialk

There are so many different distortions and overdrives out there it's nearly impossible to try out even a fraction of them. Anyone with a soldering iron, the schematics for a Tubescreamer, Rat, DOD 250, or other common OD/Distortion pedal, and enough knowledge to make a few modifications can enter the boutique pedal business.

Most people generally refer to higher gain pedals as distortion and lower gain pedals as overdrives. With the gain set low and the output set high, almost any pedal can be used as a booster to push a tube amp into natural overdrive. But even though the accepted definitions of booster, overdrive, and distortion overlap quite a bit, the circuit type has a lot to do with the label we end up attaching to it. Generally this means whether or not the pedal uses soft or hard clipping.

Tubescreamers and their derivatives use diodes placed in the feedback loop of an op-amp to create soft clipping. They generally have a smooth tone, ample mids, and a clarity that allows complex chords to come through.

Most distortion pedals have the clipping diodes after the op-amp, and connected to ground, which creates hard clipping. They generally have crunchier highs, less mids, and a fuzzier overall tone. The more gain you add, the more the notes in a chord tend to run together, which can result in muddiness.

I should also mention fuzz pedals, which use transistors to create the distortion and have no clipping diodes.

The OCD is really just a modified DOD OD250 circuit, which uses hard clipping so it probably should be classified as a distortion pedal, regardless of how it is used.

Lately, I've been using some Keeley modified Tubescreamers. I have a Mod+ TS-808 and a Baked TS-808, both with true bypass. They sound like Tubescreamers (because they are) with more bass, a bit less mids, and a little crunchier tone at the higher gain settings. The Mod+ has twice the gain of a TS at the high end of the gain knob, but half the gain at the low end. The Baked has 3x the gain of a TS. I don't know why no one else really does high gain TS-style overdrives - it's a great sound - plenty of clarity with lots of smooth sustain without muddiness.

Tubescreamers and clones work great with Fender amps that are low in mids, whereas distortions can work better with amps that already have plenty of mids. But it all depends on what you like.

Very good info...

Yes, all excellent info! Thanks! Now I am looking at the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer.

But I think I asked the wrong question from the get-go, so I will start a new thread with the right question and see what I get. Thanks!

sk

Shamelessly copied/pasted from my other thread:

Good gosh, dudes, thanks to all of you for your time and knowledge on pedals! I had no idea of the variety out there! Been burning up the internet all day checking things out and I have by God made a decision! I'm going with the Barber LTD. That sucker sounds like exactly what I want. Not killer OD, but nothing subtle about it either. Bonus points for it being hand-soldered and built right here in the USA and for NOT being available in any old big box guitar store. And not too spendy either, I might add.

So thanks again, there were some great suggestions put forth, and I did find what I wanted!

sk

EDITED TO ADD LINK: Barber LTD

Archived