Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Good tone...

specialk

I love the big fat tone on Soulshine. But what gets me more than that is the phrasing he uses. It's very vocal and compliments the songs feel instead of running over it. Warren nails the feel of the Allman Bro. music. Another fav of mine is Dicky Betts soloing on I'm No Angel. These guys know how to play within the context of a song as opposed to wacking off with a guitar. They are true artists.

Joe

...I always thought it was Dan Toler handlin' the solo on "I'm No Angel"...(or, should I say, Toler playing the Betts'esque solo on "I'm No Angel")

whoeverthehellitis, it is tasty!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSKEamBvC8 .............shameless self promotion.............

That put a big smile on my face ... Great vibe Harry!

Nice tone. I tend to prefer Marc Ford when it comes to blues-rock tones though:

-Austin

I prefer his brother Robben

:lol:

Love the Marc Ford ... thats what I'm shooting for ... (check back with me in oh, 10 years) Saw Warren with Robben Ford a few years back in SB. What a great show. Robben was good but a bit too much of a jazzer for me. Warrens firebird sounded unreal...

"That put a big smile on my face ... Great vibe Harry!"...............thanks bro, i'm truly humbled when fellow musicians dig my vibe(as opposed to the screaming drunks who i could fart in the mic and they'd be like "yeah great shit man,do it some more".....lol..........................

Funny, I love Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule, especially proud now that they have a Swedish bass player on board.

I have never found his tone to be anything out of the ordinary though. On the contrary I think it's a pretty basic, and sometimes a little boring guitartone. It sounds like ordinary Duncan '59's to me. My modded -73 Marshall combo sounds just like it with a Hamer with '59's in it - and no pedals what so ever.

Oppinions on tone are alway going to be different. I really think it is interesting though to hear other players oppinions. (Now keep flaming me for not thinking Warrens tone is something extra) :lol: .

"

Those "boring ordinary Duncan 59's are the best pickup on the planet, IMHO. Opinions may vary.

I'm pretty sure Warren Hayes uses Pearly Gates in his LP's.

On the clip shown, which is from the Beacon Theater show, sure sound like Pearly Gates to me. More sweet sustain than from a standard Duncan 59. JMHO.

Funny, I love Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule, especially proud now that they have a Swedish bass player on board.

I have never found his tone to be anything out of the ordinary though. On the contrary I think it's a pretty basic, and sometimes a little boring guitartone. It sounds like ordinary Duncan '59's to me. My modded -73 Marshall combo sounds just like it with a Hamer with '59's in it - and no pedals what so ever.

Oppinions on tone are alway going to be different. I really think it is interesting though to hear other players oppinions. (Now keep flaming me for not thinking Warrens tone is something extra) :lol: .

"

Those "boring ordinary Duncan 59's are the best pickup on the planet, IMHO. Opinions may vary.

On the clip shown, which is from the Beacon Theater show, sure sound like Pearly Gates to me. More sweet sustain than from a standard Duncan 59. JMHO.

He uses a variaty. He has an older 59 reissue, kinda real dark (BrownBurst) type he was picture with alot in the early days with The Allman Brothers which had a PG in the neck and a Jb in the bridge. PG's in a few and he is using Burstbuckers in alot of his newer guitars. I pretty sure Burstbuckers in his Sig guitar..

"

He uses a variaty. He has an older 59 reissue, kinda real dark (BrownBurst) type he was picture with alot in the early days with The Allman Brothers which had a PG in the neck and a Jb in the bridge. PG's in a few and he is using Burstbuckers in alot of his newer guitars. I pretty sure Burstbuckers in his Sig guitar..

I know he uses the Pearly and other pups in his guitars, and I have not read that he uses the SD 59. I just said I think it sounds like 59's. And that is what I think is so strange. I don¨t hear those extra overtones of a PG. But Gov't mule is a musicians band. These are not a bunch of young guys trying to sound cool.

Compare Haynes tone to Gibbons. World of difference. Billys tone stands out much more I think.

I would really like to hear them record an album with a world class producer to hear what he/she could bring out sound wise and in the mixing process with this band. My personal oppinion is that their records sound a little bland at times, and can be a little tiring listening to from start to finnish. I still love the band, so don't get me wrong here.

Archived