Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Steve Stevens resto! Finished pics 06/08//09

BONEDADYO

Man, now I gotta ask how the Hamers compare to the Washburn. Sounds like you've got the collection I want. Also, please post some pics of your SS-80 (amongst all the other picture requests I've already made, sorry).

Do you also have one of the SS3s I've heard about? I've never seen a pic of one. Do you know what is different about them compared to the other 2 SS Hamers?

Also, did you ever hear why Steve moved to Washburn? It seemed like Hamer was willing to work with him on his designs, and he, ultimately, didn't stay at Washburn very long either.

I think I saw the pics of your DayGlo on another thread right after you got it painted. That is really nice. Really cool that you got that done.

Man, now I gotta ask how the Hamers compare to the Washburn. Sounds like you've got the collection I want. Also, please post some pics of your SS-80 (amongst all the other picture requests I've already made, sorry).

Do you also have one of the SS3s I've heard about? I've never seen a pic of one. Do you know what is different about them compared to the other 2 SS Hamers?

Also, did you ever hear why Steve moved to Washburn? It seemed like Hamer was willing to work with him on his designs, and he, ultimately, didn't stay at Washburn very long either.

I think I saw the pics of your DayGlo on another thread right after you got it painted. That is really nice. Really cool that you got that done.

The SS80 is a completely different guitar altogether. For lack of a better description, it's basically an Eddie guitar. It's like a cross between a San Dimas Charvel & an EBMM. Fat neck & flat fretboard, unfinished with jumbo frets. The SS3 was like the SS80 except it had the single coil in the neck position. It's the one on the cover of Guitar World from 89 or 90. Also the Mony Mony video.

march2008028sm.jpg

The cover for the floyd isn't recessed into the body! I though Hamer did that for all their guitars with trems?!?

-Austin

The first round of SS1's didn't have the route on the back.

Yep - my early '80s Special w/Floyd didn't have a recessed plate either. It was a B/W/B plastic plate with the lower left corner cut at an angle so it didn't overlap the control cavity plate.

Yep - my early '80s Special w/Floyd didn't have a recessed plate either. It was a B/W/B plastic plate with the lower left corner cut at an angle so it didn't overlap the control cavity plate.

Yep, exactly. I keep mine off since I use a Tremol-No, but I still have them.

That's how the old Sunbursts were with Sustain Block trems as well.

Do yourself a favor & send it to Greg!

I've done this before, plus I didn't have a lot of money into this guitar.

What's wrong with it exactly?

The guy that had it before me told me he taped off the fretboard to paint it and then left the tape on it for a couple of months, which left a lot of residue on the fingerboard and frets. He took a razor blade and scraped most of the stuff off, but it has all sorts of little hack marks and one noticeable gouge in the wood. And it could use a good fret dress, too. I live about 75 miles from BCR, so taking it to Greg wouldn`t be a major problem. Let me know how your decal comes out, I`ve though a couple of times about trying to find someone to do a stadium logo for it to go over the spots that are missing. I have the gold Schallers, a backplate I got from Alpep years ago, and within a few weeks will be looking for a Floyd for it. I`m not sure what I want to do pick-up wise on it yet, either.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1001.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1002.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1003.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1007.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1008.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1009.jpg

Do yourself a favor & send it to Greg!

I've done this before, plus I didn't have a lot of money into this guitar.

What's wrong with it exactly?

The guy that had it before me told me he taped off the fretboard to paint it and then left the tape on it for a couple of months, which left a lot of residue on the fingerboard and frets. He took a razor blade and scraped most of the stuff off, but it has all sorts of little hack marks and one noticeable gouge in the wood. And it could use a good fret dress, too. I live about 75 miles from BCR, so taking it to Greg wouldn`t be a major problem. Let me know how your decal comes out, I`ve though a couple of times about trying to find someone to do a stadium logo for it to go over the spots that are missing. I have the gold Schallers, a backplate I got from Alpep years ago, and within a few weeks will be looking for a Floyd for it. I`m not sure what I want to do pick-up wise on it yet, either.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1001.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1002.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1003.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1007.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1008.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff129/h...HamerSS1009.jpg

Very Nice! I'm sure Greg can fix that up no prob! Is that neck maple?

Hamerjunkie,

That is cool. What was the original color of your guitar, can/could you tell?

Does anyone know how many maple neck SS models were made? Just rough percentage, I mean.

Good luck with that. You should start your own post showing the teardown and build up of your ax as well.

Take care.

Does anyone know how many maple neck SS models were made? Just rough percentage, I mean.

Most SS guitars after early-mid 1985 had maple necks.

I have an idea it was bright white, I can see it in the trem cavity and underneath the black of the headstock, kinda doubt it`s white primer.........I am going to leave the neck natural with a light oil finish, but haven`t decided what color to do the body yet, figured I would get it together and play it a bit before shipping it out for finish work.......

Bone, on your red one that you are restoring, you said that the pick-ups were too hot on it for your tastes, what are going to put in it? I`m thinking of a Duncan JB trembucker in the bridge, and maybe a hot rail in the neck and a cool rail in the middle.........serial had an OBL 900 on evilbay a couple of weeks ago that I missed out on, I like the look of rail pickups for some reason.......

I have an idea it was bright white, I can see it in the trem cavity and underneath the black of the headstock, kinda doubt it`s white primer.........I am going to leave the neck natural with a light oil finish, but haven`t decided what color to do the body yet, figured I would get it together and play it a bit before shipping it out for finish work.......

Bone, on your red one that you are restoring, you said that the pick-ups were too hot on it for your tastes, what are going to put in it? I`m thinking of a Duncan JB trembucker in the bridge, and maybe a hot rail in the neck and a cool rail in the middle.........serial had an OBL 900 on evilbay a couple of weeks ago that I missed out on, I like the look of rail pickups for some reason.......

It could have been white primer. They used that underneath the dayglo colors. In fact, the one I'm working on now had white primer.

I just bought another Seymour Duncan Black Back from Ed Roman here in town. Say or think what you want about him, but that's one of the best PU's I've ever used. It's on par with a JB, but more evened out overall. They sing in Hamers. I have 2 SSL's for the neck & middle. I play in 2 different cover bands here in Vegas. We play everything from Rick Springfield to Van Halen...From The Sweet to Hole. I need versitility without being too driven.

Ok, so I've been doing some painting! I have to apologize with the crappy pics...my camera sucks!

PRIMER- Several even coats, fixed any imperfections. Knocked down any bumps, over etc with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then finished with 800 grit:

hamerssproject006sm.jpg

hamerssproject007sm.jpg

hamerssproject009sm.jpg

Then, the moment of truth. I wanted to do a black metal flake. The problem is, most of the time they never come out black...They usually end up charcoal or gunmetal! What I did was sprayed the main base coat black & mixed a more transparent black with the metal flake & shot it as a top coat. CAME OUT PERFECT!!!! Now it still looks black! I'll have to get better daylight pics, but I wanted to at least post something. Next will be the clear coats!

hamerssproject016sm.jpg

hamerssproject017sm.jpg

hamerssproject019sm.jpg

hamerssproject012sm.jpg

hamerssproject013sm.jpg

Kool! Can't wait to see this finished. Are you using a sticker or transfer for the logo?

The logos & stuff will all be waterslides. I have to shoot a few coats of clear before putting them on, then shoot over those. There's another graphic that's going on the body.

Steve's "Ray Gun" SS model is a black metalflake one. It has the fuschia/pink logo and the signature on the body.

That was one of the coolest Hamers I've played.

Steve's "Ray Gun" SS model is a black metalflake one. It has the fuschia/pink logo and the signature on the body.

That was one of the coolest Hamers I've played.

YOU BLEW MY SURPRISE!!!!!

That's what I'm doing to this one (less the raygun electronics).

(SORRY!) :blink:

I bet you could still do the Raygun attachments, and a lot cheaper and more efficient than they were on the original. Now, about those 2 slanted singlecoils... !!

Still one of my favorite Hamers of all time.

(SORRY!) :blink:

I bet you could still do the Raygun attachments, and a lot cheaper and more efficient than they were on the original. Now, about those 2 slanted singlecoils... !!

I was just bustin your chops! It's ok.

I chose not to put the electronics in. I couldn't think about taking a router to such a great piece of wood! I even found the correct red buttons he had on his. I already can do the raygun trick with my gear (my band does Rebel Yell).

I am doing the big fuschia signature on the body.

The slanted PU's looked great!

I guess mine will be the RAYGUN "lite". LOL!

(SORRY!) :lol:

I was just bustin your chops! It's ok.

I chose not to put the electronics in. I couldn't think about taking a router to such a great piece of wood! I even found the correct red buttons he had on his. I already can do the raygun trick with my gear (my band does Rebel Yell).

I am doing the big fuschia signature on the body.

The slanted PU's looked great!

I guess mine will be the RAYGUN "lite". LOL!

I remember watching the Thompson Twins w/ SS on Live Aid over & over just to see the guitar. It looked black on the VHS...I didn't realize it was metalflake until I seen it on the cover of GW. At the Live Aid gig, it had hot pink covers on the single coils, but the humbucker was left black. By the time he did the GW shoot, he had black covers on them.

However, I am mounting the humbucker directly to the body like his!

Archived