Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Steve Stevens resto! Finished pics 06/08//09

BONEDADYO

(SORRY!) :lol:

I bet you could still do the Raygun attachments, and a lot cheaper and more efficient than they were on the original. Now, about those 2 slanted singlecoils... !!

Still one of my favorite Hamers of all time.

I guess mine will be the RAYGUN "lite". LOL!

I remember watching the Thompson Twins w/ SS on Live Aid over & over just to see the guitar. It looked black on the VHS.

Heres Thomson Twin at live aid w. Steve (comes in at the end)

I bought the Live Aid DVD box set. You can see the guitar a LOT better, plus freeze frame on the close ups.

I sprayed half of my clear coats yesterday...came out great! Now, I'll let it sit for a couple of weeks before I apply the decals, then shoot the final coats of clear after that. Then it's the big wait.

I bought the Live Aid DVD box set. You can see the guitar a LOT better, plus freeze frame on the close ups.

I sprayed half of my clear coats yesterday...came out great! Now, I'll let it sit for a couple of weeks before I apply the decals, then shoot the final coats of clear after that. Then it's the big wait.

Any chance it will be completed by late Feb early March? I will be in Vegas around that time and would love to see it live on stage.

Any chance it will be completed by late Feb early March? I will be in Vegas around that time and would love to see it live on stage.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! It should be ready by the end of December. Let me know when you're coming out & I'll tell you where we'll be playing...Love to have ya check us out!

• 2 weeks later...

Decals go on tomorrow, then the rest of the clear coats. I thought I'd get a shot of it before the big signature goes on the body. Perfect day today, sun was setting...thought it might help show the metal flake.

hamersparkle.jpg

Decals go on tomorrow, then the rest of the clear coats. I thought I'd get a shot of it before the big signature goes on the body. Perfect day today, sun was setting...thought it might help show the metal flake.

hamersparkle.jpg

F'n nice..... Can't wait to see it with the fuscia.

So I have learned now that if you want something done right, do it yourself! I ended up making the decals myself. I'm more than happy with the results. I trimmed out the signature fo the body with an X-acto. I have all the matching fuschia headstock decals finished as well. I took pics with & without the flash to show just how dayglo it is. Right now, the decals have a matte look due to the fixative. They will be glossy after all is finished. The white around the edges of the big decal are just flash from the backing paper. These will be the last pics I post for about a month. I hate showing it with all the orange peel, even though it'll all be leveled after all the finish sanding & buffing.

hamerssprojectsig1.jpg

hamerssprojectsig2.jpg

hamerssprojectsig3.jpg

hamerssprojectsig4.jpg

Cool work - when you're done, it'll look just like this one...almost!

tedss.jpg

(as modeled by our founder, Ted Martin)

Very nice work on the restoration. If you need any more pictures, let me know. I can probably get you some pretty detailed pictures. :lol::lol:

SSraygunbdy1-1.jpg

SSraygunfull-1.jpg

Great Job!!!!

Peter

Very nice work on the restoration. If you need any more pictures, let me know. I can probably get you some pretty detailed pictures. :lol::lol:

SSraygunbdy1-1.jpg

SSraygunfull-1.jpg

Great Job!!!!

Peter

Thanks!!!

All I had to go by was the GW from 86 & the Live Aid footage.

Those pics are great!!!!

I'd love to see more if you have them...shoot me an email!

[email protected]

That is looking great! Really sweet work on the big signature. The attention to detail is really impressive. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Don't worry about showing it with orange peel, it just shows how much work you have and continue to put into it.

Again, looking great!

Thanks everyone...and thanks for the pics! Those really helped, especially since I ended up redoing the decals. I ended up "thinning out" the signature...It was way to thick. Plus, the transfer needed to be one big piece in order to hold it's proper shape. Also, I learned that just because the decal paper is white, it was still losing it's brightness against the black finish when applied. I didn't want to paint a white patch underneath, just in case I had to scrap the body signature completely. I solved it by putting a plain white decal cut to the same shape (less 1/16") first where the transers are going to go. This worked perfectly! It's all trial & error at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yngwie308 here, first post. Please allow me to introduce myself, as the saying goes.

I own a late eighties Chapparal rattlesnake graphics, s/s/hb, OFR, OBL's, absolutely love it.

My main reason for being here is to share in my appreciation of Steve Stevens.

Since Rebel Yell in 1984, I have been a fan of Steve's unique and killer guitar playing.

Technically I have followed Steve through the years as well, from the Hamer days, through the brief Washburn time and presently, with his primary use of fixed bridge instruments.

I was particularly impressed by BONEDADYO'S project Hamer SS. I always enjoyed the Live Aid performance and of course have the Guitar World issue featuring the black metalflake SS.

What might be of particular interest here is my owning a Washburn SS 80 that I ordered from the factory, just as they were announced, when I lived back in Pennsylvania.

I of course love the Hamers as well that Steve had and the Washburn being in spirit of the SS-3 bolt on neck model in features. Also Steve loved his "Glow" Jackson guitar and his Charvel and probably sought aspects of those in Washburn's effort as well. If you look on Steve's Wilkipedia site, I was the one that updated the trivia section as they call it about the various Washburns and their features. I have to tell you that I have of course loved my SS80 since the day I got it, but since 2005 have done extensive research on the guitars.

I will start a different thread and with respect to BONEDADYO, I don't mean to jump his Hamer thread, but I read that he as well owns an SS80.

So I need to collect my pics and various writings on this guitar and will post them soon.

I also was in correspondence with an individual who claims to own SS-3's as well as Washburns, I have not seen pics yet. Also I thought that they were never made for public consumption, Steve leaving Hamer and the ones made for him being the only ones in existence.

I have utilised the various forums I write on to research data, but it is rare I come across a SS fan or one who is in the know. Glad to be aboard and look forward to future correspondence. I once bought a SS-2, at a guitar show in the nineties and it had a bad pickup, in it.So I pbtained a wiring schematic from Hamer at the time, very helpful and with a SD JB, sold it to a friend, who was looking for this model.

Not as dramatic as BDO's resto, but felt like I had saved it for the future.

P1010002-1.jpg

Cheers

yngwie308 (Dave)

When can we expect some more updates? I can't wait!!!

It's finished. I'm just letting it cure for a couple of more weeks until I do the final wetsand/polish.

Just a few things that I did.

The clear coats over the decals were sanded level with the rest of the finish, as well as the sides of the neck where the rosewood was masked off. Then I applied several new coats after that.

The other thing was the serial number. I managed to find a font that looked just like the stamp that Hamer used at the time. I printed it in bright yellow (as they did on black guitars) & now you can't tell it's a decal.

I'm actually suprised at how well this turned out without any major issues. I appreciate all the kind words & support. I can't wait to show you all the finished product!

Art

Decals corrected, applied & ready for final clearcoats!!!

Sorry for the dark & warped looking pictures. I'm about ready to throw it in the pool!

Bet you can guess what I'll be getting for Christmas.

hamerssprojecttest1.jpg

hamerssprojecttest2.jpg

hamerssprojecttest3.jpg

is that a base coat or clear coat that I'm looking at?

That's a clear coat, but with a lot of orange peel! That's why I don't really want to post anymore pics until it's done. That will all be removed with the final wetsanding. You can't even tell it's a black metalflake because of the orange peel. It will be a smooth mirror finish when done!

Glad your back! Good to hear that progress is being made and that you are happy with it. You should be. It's looking great, and you have certainly put forth alot of effort. Again, don't feel bad about posting in-process pics, it just helps everyone appreciate the final product even more and to see what all was involved in getting there.

I'm getting closer to winding down some of my home remodeling projects and have been collecting parts to cleaning up my SS1 (found an '80's black Floyd Rose and got some mahogany) so I'll start posting on the thread I started awhile back soon to get some input from everyone.

Keep up the good work, and don't keep us hanging too long!!

Archived