Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Daytona love thread

pesocaster

Love that Daytona Bubs.

I really like my T-62, but I can't help thinking - everytime I see a nice Daytona - that it will have more bottom and oomph to it. Maybe I need to trade for one some of these days....

Congrats!

Edit: thanks for mentioning this one: http://www.voodoolab.com/sparkledrive_mod.htm That is some good tone. What I am looking for when playing the T-62.

That is the big problem with strats with me. It seems to get a good tone out of them you always need some kind of dirt pedal.

Pictures!

DSC00239_zps91e44702.jpg

DSC00241_zps5768b7c4.jpg

DSC00240_zps8b3feee4.jpg

This guitar needs pearl tuning pegs. ;) Heading off to the music stores tomorrow to look for pickups locally. I'm thinking Dimarzio Area Pups, I want noisless and I lilked the Dimarzio Blues and Blues II that I used in my White Daytona. Like them yes, loved them no, I missed the sparkle. I need to find that beefy, snappy, sparkly set.

Does the Daytona sound like a vintage strat, or like a.......Daytona. Used to have a 76 ash strat. Would love to have that authentic strat sound again, but as cheaply as possible. A Daytona might be a little too much.

Happy for anyone who owns one of these beautiful guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/63954-3-wins-pole-for-daytona-500/

NASCAR Rookie driver Austin Dillon steps into some big shoes to fill. Dale Earnhardt won 67 time in the #3. Buck Baker, son Buddy, Ricky Rudd, Paul Goldsmith, and Junior Johnson also won in the #3. Number has been semi retired since Dale lost his life 2/18/2001 at Daytona in it. Time for a return to glory.

Being the car owners grandson does not hurt but Austin has won races and been a division series champion. Can he succeed? No reason not to.

To Bad Hamer never offered one of these as a Pole Winner prize like Gibber did at Nashville races.

Daytona2_zps123e05c0.jpg

Daytona3_zpsbdad1bde.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the second longest project ever. Third set of pickups are wired up, but the final parts are in transit. I'm going to call if quits if this set doesn't at least get me close and just admit i'm not a start guy.

What are those pickups?

I had Antiquity Surfers in my T62, Texas Hot at the bridge. Never got them to sound right. Changed them recently to Texas Hot Ants in all three positions. Much better. Now it sounds like a strat should. No ice pick, just smooth smoky groove, with an edge when needed.

What are those pickups?

I had Antiquity Surfers in my T62, Texas Hot at the bridge. Never got them to sound right. Changed them recently to Texas Hot Ants in all three positions. Much better. Now it sounds like a strat should. No ice pick, just smooth smoky groove, with an edge when needed.

The ones pictured in the thread were SD Strat Bro 90's. SD Single Coil P90's, they were not as big and fat as I expected. I was thinking Phatcat, they were more Phatkitty. Trying the Hot Stack Plus Bridge, Neck and a Classic Hot Stack Plus in the middle. This Daytona is equal or better than the first one I had. I really lucked out when I found it. I'll just keep trying new pickups until I hit the majic set. In my first Daytona I ended up with Dimarzio Blues Pickups. They were great and were in the guitar until I sold it. When I switched the SD Back in for a test run before shipping I found a completely different dynamic sound I was missing. So I want to meet those two tones in the middle. Tuff to live up to the Phantom, Newport and the Tally.

I'll just keep trying new pickups until I hit the majic set.

The one big thing I hate about Strats. They are so sensitive to what pickups are in it, and you just can't mag swap them either. Changing pickups is a pain in the butt.

And on the T62 it's even worse with all the little wires to the HEQ cirquit. I've changed them twice. Won't do it again.

• 1 month later...

I ended up with the Stock Neck/Middle with a SD Twang Banger in the bridge. Only thing I don't like that I think i'll have Jay fix for me is the TB Pickup isn't potted. Uncontrollable at any kind of volume if you step on an overdrive pedal or boost.

Archived