Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Trade Bait ! - '79 Sunburst Black B/C !

Guest pirateflynn

Guest pirateflynn

SOLD

I decided to trade or sell one of my Sunbursts. I have two that are practically identical and this one is more collectible. I think it's completely original w/ exception to a new bone nut. I know times are tough so maybe a trade is in order. I paid $1,700 for it so a trade in that range ($1,500-$2,000) would work or you can buy it outright if you like.

Be just like Martin Barre!

Since getting my Newport I'd like to diversify a little so .....

How 'bout a trade?

Monacos - Pro - 3 - Custom order, etc

Burningyen's Special

Grosh

or hit me up with an idea.

email: [email protected]

Thanks. Ken

full.jpg

sunburst3.jpg

sunburst2.jpg

Nice guitar. Just curious- are the speed knobs original or did 79s come with top hats?

77s and most 78s had the speed knobs, but all of the 79s I've seen that are original had the top hats-not a really big deal and they're pretty easily acquired. Not sure exactly when they switched over and as anything Hamer, there could easily have been a "look what we have here, let's use these" moment!

Guest pirateflynn

Nice guitar. Just curious- are the speed knobs original or did 79s come with top hats?

77s and most 78s had the speed knobs, but all of the 79s I've seen that are original had the top hats-not a really big deal and they're pretty easily acquired. Not sure exactly when they switched over and as anything Hamer, there could easily have been a "look what we have here, let's use these" moment!

I honestly don't know but I think that they are original. If they were swapped out it was years ago because they have some age on them and some discoloring - in a good way! My red '79 Sunburst has the same speed knobs.

Let's do a little trading .... !

Guest pirateflynn

Thanks for the offer, Kurt. I've heard that is a great amp but I really don't have use for that kind of wattage. I just bought a new amp, the first for me in a few years. 15 to 35 watts covers my needs.

Any of these catch your fancy?

1962 Fender Brown Concert - Original save for '64 transformer and replaced handle

2004 Les Paul Standard Premium Plus (it's a nice one)

http://www.slide.com/r/Lw6dGmkd5T-5beQR1Bq...I?view=original

2003 PRS Custom 24 (it too is a nice one)

http://www.slide.com/r/ExfsbVy_6z8TdZaKn99...d?view=original

Hamer T-51 (fishman / rosewood)

1964 Fender Champ (two available)

<Transition year: tweed champ guts/chassis in black tolex covering>

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/j...mview=slideshow

1989 EC "Blackie" Strat

1956 Tweed Champ - 6"

1957 Tweed Princeton

<speaker is not original, but it is close to correct, I think it's a '59>

1975 Martin D-28

My (long gone :blink: ) black and crownded '79 Sunburst (SN: 90793) had speed knobs - and I bought it brand new!

And there you have it!

My '79 was #9 1070 and that one came new with the bell knobs-I bought it from the original owner who barely played it. A real sin, because it was probably the best sounding guitar I've ever owned.

And there you have it!

My '79 was #9 1070 and that one came new with the bell knobs-I bought it from the original owner who barely played it. A real sin, because it was probably the best sounding guitar I've ever owned.

So what about that special I bought from you? :blink::):lol:

And there you have it!

So what about that special I bought from you? :blink::):lol:

Pretty damned close. Remember-I've had a hundred Hamers or so! That 81 graphic sounded great, but the Sunburst may have edged it out. Playing-wise, the Special was nicer IMHO.

Guest pirateflynn

Pardon my ignorance, but why are the 79s so special? It is just age and collectibility, or is there some mojo, manufacturing difference, or the like that makes them so desired?

The early Sunbursts are cool because they were made in fairly small batches before Hamer's larger full production began in 1980. Historically, they are important for Hamer as they mark their first original guitar. Yes it does have the Special body shape but the combination of appointments made it pretty unique .... maple top, sustainblock bridge, humbuckers (wired out of phase) etc. Some guys (with a lot of experience) like the '79 best for some reason. On top of that, they are just great guitars and killer looking!

Pardon my ignorance, but why are the 79s so special? It is just age and collectibility, or is there some mojo, manufacturing difference, or the like that makes them so desired?

The 79s were built in small batches and rough-cut by Tom Holmes and completed at Hamer. By 1979, I think that the guys at Hamer, especially whoever was spraying the finishes, reached a pinnacle. I also am very partial to the Hamer spec'd Dimarzios that they used from that period. The 78s sound great too.

After 1979, Hamer did more in-house and while it isn't shabby by any stretch, I'm just partial to the 79s (the body shape changed a little after the Holmes guitars). That being said, out of the 12-15 Sunbursts I've owned, my red '82 is the one I held on to. Not the best sounding compared to some of the others, but it has "it" for me.

fsattubbyssteve3.jpg

burningyens bound special is indeed a fine piece !

That being said, out of the 12-15 Sunbursts I've owned, my red '82 is the one I held on to. Not the best sounding compared to some of the others, but it has "it" for me.

Sweet Sunburst, great year and B/C to boot! Too bad I have nothing to offer in the way of acquiring it.

wandering off topic a little...

... the best Hamer, and one of the sweetest playing guitars I have laid my hands on, is my '82 Sunburst. Mind you I haven't owned a dozen of them, but it does reinforce the fact that there are Sunbursts from the early Eighties that are as good as the earlier Sunbursts. Not that anybody said there was anything wrong with early Eighties Sunbursts. And of course I'm sure there were some not great Sunbursts from the "pre-production" era, although there may be less of them. Anyways, yeah. Back to the topic at hand.

Archived