Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer guitar pick-ups of the 80`s

hamerjunkie

I didn`t want to hijack another thread, But I just picked up a 1985 Hamer SS1 that has all sorts of dings and dents and imperfections, but plays very smooth. I pulled the pick-ups out of it yesterday, and it has a Duncan hot rail in the neck, and it looks like the original middle single coil and humbucker are in it. It`s the old style humbucker before F-spaced ones came out, so the pole pieces don`t line up correctly over the strings. but it does have Hamer Guitars stamped on it. Does anybody have any ideas what the F-spaced modern equivalent would be of that pick-up? Thanks in advance......

my new-to-me SS......

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/kev...sCDRacks012.jpg

The Hamer stamped pickup is a Hamer "Slammer" pickup. DiMarzio wound to Hamer specs. I'd check with DiMarzio on that one.

Wow-that's VERY cool. I had one just like it. Very rare with that hardware (the white powdercoat with gold trim).

Shoot me the serial # if you think about it-I'm pretty sure I have the log books on most of that run.

Personally, I'd leave it stock, the one I had sounded really good and played great. Then again, I never bought into the "F spaced" myth.

Here's one of those (Serial's old one):

FSMsHamers.jpg

Here's one of those (Serial's old one):

FSMsHamers.jpg

Yup, that one matched my Marshall perfectly!

I called Dimarzio this morning, the tech support guy recommended a PAF Pro or the Steve Morse bridge as something similar to the Hamer Slammer. I might keep it in for the time being, I really like the sound of it. I`m used to the hotter Duncans (Dimebuckers, Invaders, TB-6`s) so it`s a change of pace for me. I still am thinking of switching out the middle pick-up for a stacked humbucker, either another hot rail or a cool rail.

I`m kind of hoping the white hardware grows on me, my first thought was to swap it out for black tuners and a trem. It`s different, I remember you could get Kahler`s in the 80`s in different colors. I`ll just have to find another white one to mess with........ :lol:

Serial..... the serial # on the back is 513836.

I called Dimarzio this morning, the tech support guy recommended a PAF Pro or the Steve Morse bridge as something similar to the Hamer Slammer. I might keep it in for the time being, I really like the sound of it. I`m used to the hotter Duncans (Dimebuckers, Invaders, TB-6`s) so it`s a change of pace for me. I still am thinking of switching out the middle pick-up for a stacked humbucker, either another hot rail or a cool rail.

I`m kind of hoping the white hardware grows on me, my first thought was to swap it out for black tuners and a trem. It`s different, I remember you could get Kahler`s in the 80`s in different colors. I`ll just have to find another white one to mess with........ :lol:

August 8, 1985.

Mine was 513729

I`m kind of hoping the white hardware grows on me, my first thought was to swap it out for black tuners and a trem. It`s different, I remember you could get Kahler`s in the 80`s in different colors. I`ll just have to find another white one to mess with........ :D

August 8, 1985.

Mine was 513729

Just pulled my Prototype SS out and 513163 - do i win a prize for being first :lol:

I have two Steve Stevens I. Both have the stock Hamer Slammer pickups. While I thought about putting other pick ups in them I never did that. Nowadays I am glad I never did as they really sound good to me now. I also have a Chaparral w/Sustainiac that also has the Slammer pickups. But in this guitar they don't sound great at all, maybe because of the Sustainiac system?

Archived