Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Teese Wah questions

tommy p

I'd like to get a Teese RMC3 Wah and wondering whether I should go for a new one or an older used one.

The ones currently produced have "fuzz friendly" circuitry. I would guess that means they work well with a fuzzbox as opposed to tube amp distortion, but I never use a fuzzbox. I've read some reviews on the RMC3 and quite a few people say the older ones sound better, and I wonder if it's attributable to the change to "fuzz friendly"???

Anyone with some experience with Teese wahs have any advice or opinion?

I have a Teese Picture Wah from a couple years ago. It made my Vox RI sound thin and boring in comparison. It's doesn't have the "fuzz friendly" circuitry, but I wouldn't worry about getting a Teese wah with that feature - it can be turned off if you don't like it.

Basically, a stock wah circuit is very simple and doesn't have a proper output stage buffer, resulting in a rather high output impedance. Hooking it up to a pedal with a low input impedance (especially a Fuzz Face) will cause the wah effect to lose its sweep and create oscillation squeals. The Fuzz Friendly circuit design is licensed from Dave Fox at Foxrox electronics, and can be purchased from Dave as a retrofit to any wah pedal. In addition to helping the Wah work better with fuzz, it will also help prevent your signal from degrading as it goes through the rest of your chain.

I thought about getting an RMC 3 when I got the Picture Wah, but I figured with all of those trimpots and adjustments in there I 'd spend more time tweaking it than using it!

Thanks, guys. I found some reviews and other forums where Teese pedals were discussed and pulled the trigger on an older RMC3. The consensus seems to be "totally worth it", so I figure if I don't like it I can at least get my money back out of it.

Great wahs. Mine has been out of service for the past few months. Need to have it looked at.

Archived