Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New pickups please!?!?!?!

Gentlemen,

I picked up a Gold Top LP (non historic) and she plays great! The previous owner had the 496/490 set in this guitar. I want something else and may stray from my usual Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set.

Any recommendations for thick blues, great cleans, lots of warmth and nasty hard rock tones?

I may even take a chance on WCRs.

Thanks!!!

Voodoo 59's...I had the WCRs and liked the Voodoos better for what you describe. It was a close call though, as the WCRs had this wonderful midrange compression going on that just outstanding.

Ah, Voodoo 59s? Never heard much about those! are they the Greg wind?

Dimarzio - "PAF Classic" in the neck, and "Norton" at the bridge. Both can be ordered with gold covers, if desired. I have a set of these in a korina flying v.

Or, Dimarzio - "Virtual PAF's" neck model & bridge model. These can also be ordered with gold covers if wanted. I am using a set of these on a 15 yr. old Japan-made L P Custom replica and love 'em. Reasonably priced, too...just need to find a dealer to order them for you. (Don't go direct....too expensive. )

Dimarzio - "PAF Classic" in the neck, and "Norton" at the bridge. Both can be ordered with gold covers, if desired. I have a set of these in a korina flying v.

Or, Dimarzio - "Virtual PAF's" neck model & bridge model. These can also be ordered with gold covers if wanted. I am using a set of these on a 15 yr. old Japan-made L P Custom replica and love 'em. Reasonably priced, too...just need to find a dealer to order them for you. (Don't go direct....too expensive. )

Dimarzios? Hmmm..I usually find Rios much better. Have you tried Rios? WCRs?

Any recommendations for thick blues, great cleans, lots of warmth and nasty hard rock tones?

I may even take a chance on WCRs.

Thanks!!!

I havent' tried Voodoos so can't comment there, but for what you describe, I recommend WCR Fillmore in the bridge and a Crossroads in the neck. The Crossroads will give you stellar cleans and the Fillmore will rock like no other IMO. And with that combo you'll get everything in between.

I havent' tried Voodoos so can't comment there, but for what you describe, I recommend WCR Fillmore in the bridge and a Crossroads in the neck. The Crossroads will give you stellar cleans and the Fillmore will rock like no other IMO. And with that combo you'll get everything in between

Thats interesting...I didn't like the Fillmore in the neck...the Crossroads makes alot more sense...hmmmm.

Anyway...Jay has alot more experience than me with the WCRs...I would listen to him...the dude knows those pups.

Rios and Voodoos, baby.  Rios and Voodoos.

The WCRs are damn fine pickups.  I prefer the Rios for lighter guitars, but the Voodoos for heavier ones.

Hi Greg, is the Voodoo Greg wind as hot as the Rio? Nice and versatile?

IMO, the voodoos are not as hot as the Rios. The greg wind bridge is fantastic in my 82 special. Kicked the crap out of the stock dimarzios.

The voodoos are clear, clean up real nice when you turn down the volume and sound wicked with the tone rolled off. I don't have a greg wind neck cuz it wasn't available at the time, but it sounds great anyway.

Rios and Voodoos, baby. Rios and Voodoos.

The WCRs are damn fine pickups. I prefer the Rios for lighter guitars, but the Voodoos for heavier ones.

So are the Vodoos your first choice in a Studio? I am looking for great classic rock tones from my Studio. In particular I am looking for Santana tones and ZZ Top tones. What do you recommend?

I tried my friend's Fillmores over lunch - went down to his studio. He also had Darkbursts. I think the Fillmore sounds a lot like the Rio BBQ in that it has HUGE midrange and mellow top end and is very punchy like the Rio BBQ and about the same output. It sounded a lot like a PRS pickup.

My friend has a few LPs as well I was able to test against and the one had burstbuckers. The burstbuckers seemed a bit warmer than the Darkbursts to my ears. I am betting the Goodwoods would nail it in a Les Paul or Hamer mahogany/maple top.

I play all types of music and like versatility but can’t imagine ever needing a pickup hotter than the Fillmore or BBQ! Anything hotter and you start to lose the versatility for great cleans to my ears.

Archived