Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Phantom Custom pickups

ajoso

What pickups came standard on the Hamer Phantom Custom? I've heard a JB in the Bridge, but what about the single coils?

They're Duncan HS-1 pickups (I think it stands for 'Hamer Single').

I have a '98 in Amberburst with the stock pickups. I think the (bright) JB works well with the single coils.

Regards,

Jim

What pickups came standard on the Hamer Phantom Custom? I've heard a JB in the Bridge, but what about the single coils?

They're Duncan HS-1 pickups (I think it stands for 'Hamer Single').

I wasn't able to find anything about them online. What's the skinny on them? Output? Magnet type? etc.

• 7 months later...

I own a '98 Phantom Custom and wondered the same thing when I bought it used in 2001. The two single coil pickups in my guitar are labeled HMR1. I wondered if they were stock, so I called Hamer and asked about HMR1 pickups. I was told they were manufactured by Semour Duncan exclusively for Hamer (i.e. HMR = Hamer) until '93/'94. I asked how four-year-old pickups ('94) ended up in a "new" guitar ('98), and was told Hamer had a large stockpile of HMR1 pickups. I asked about their voice and was told they're like Duncan's Vintage Flats (SSL-2) and Custom Flats (SSL-6). I know the Duncan catalog shows SSL-2 and SSL-6 pickups voiced differently, but that's what I have written down on my notes from the call...

I'm not a Hamer expert and can't verify if what I was told is true. I'm just sharing the results of some research I had done. I hope it helps others.

IIRC, they're the same as the SS-1's without the "lip" where the wires typically connect. They were custom for Hamer, which is why you won't find any skinny on them. They were that way in order to fit inside the triple-coil pickup ring.

Re: "The lip"

Right. I'm trying to assemble my own 3-coil and I had to special order a Rio MuyGrande Single Coil without the lip. In case anyone is interested in doing the same thing, you can call Dave at Rio and he will create one for you.

Archived