Hamer Fan Club Message Center

!!! Jackson Soloist vs. Hamer Californian !!!

Feynman

What do you think of when you think Super-Strat?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Man, I wish I had a cool video to show you after such an enticing title, but I don't.

FIRST, MY QUESTION:

As a geeky teen of the 80s, I saw brazilians of Soloists on my MTV. To me, the Soloist is my Reference Standard spandex/metal guitar. I think that I judge all Superstrats against it.

After joining this place and seeing the magic of ebony and boomerangs, though, I dig the Cali as well.

So here's my big question - how different are they - what might you like about one over the other?

Used Soloists sure seem a lot cheaper (at least compared to setneck Calis).

I have never seen a Cali in real life, so I know nuthin...

Now, have fun with the poll - what does Super-Strat mean to you?

Edited for the poll (I chose Jackson).

when you think super strat only one name should "ever " come to mind and thats the company that created the super strat.

the jackson soloist is the benchmark where by all are judged yesterday and today..

now this doesnt mean that others didnt /dont do a great job with their own spin of it.

but they are all copies .

after 24 yrs my early '85 soloist custom [though retired , floyds no longer fulfilling my needs]

purchased new is the one constant when all others had been or would be sold,still proudly sits on a stand for all to see.

its the guitar that I judge all others by.... if I had to have only one guitar,she would be the one.

so buy my spalted standard so I can get closer to that number :P

...after 24 yrs my early '85 soloist custom [though retired , floyds no longer fulfilling my needs]

purchased new is the one constant when all others had been or would be sold,still proudly sits on a stand for all to see.

Got any pics? Please? That is one my Holy Grails...

never had a jackson but i bought my first of three cali's in 88, greatest shredders i've ever played, honorable mention to a bc rich super strat i had back in the day(st III?????) and an esp bruce kulick model.................

I went into a music store in 1990-91 to buy a Soloist.....

I walked out with my first Hamer :P (after trying a Jackson, a Cali, a Chap.....I bought a Centaura for $600 less than the others....I had the cash for any of 'em too. :P:P)

I still have my old Kramer Pacer deluxe, huge neck that was very un 80s. It's a really weird purple and the guy I got it from said they made it for Jeff Beck but he didnt want it LOL. I've never seen another in the same color ( the same purple the first Beck strats were offered in )neck is a Lasido banana head. Maple body like the Lynch tiger guitar, it's more 80s than Boy George.

I still have my old Kramer Pacer deluxe, huge neck that was very un 80s. It's a really weird purple and the guy I got it from said they made it for Jeff Beck but he didnt want it LOL. I've never seen another in the same color ( the same purple the first Beck strats were offered in )neck is a Lasido banana head. Maple body like the Lynch tiger guitar, it's more 80s than Boy George.

Pics, pics, pics! (please)

Pics, pics, pics! (please)

it's pickupless at the moment and a true relic, the color has faded into a really strange hue, the Kramer logo is barely visable, the frets are basiclly gone but I put 100% of that wear on it over 10 years and somewhere close to 1000 gigs. I'll snap a few pics when I take some of some FS stuff I'll be posting ( Kramer not FS )

found this, it's Melaga purple ( or was )

purple.jpg

w/ this headstock

hockey.jpg

it's got a blk pickguard, ssh pickup layout and a strat jackplate like this

SSSPacer.jpg

Today's superstrats are bolt on neck guitars. Neck thru is so 80s; along with the poor note articulation. IMO the ultimate superstrat is the Suhr Modern. I love my Calis but the Modern kills them...it just kills; including the Koa Petrucci

superstrat.jpg

Let me say this as a Hamer newbee here..my Chapparal snakeskin 1987 guitar us easier to play than any Soloist I have played and I have played the real ones from the eighties. Sure the Jackson has binding and bigger frets, but the sheer awesomeness of the Hamer neck and tone from this OFR monster, plus the killer OBL pickups, it is a more versatile guitar than the Jackson, imo.

I call my Chapparal, my Soloist! Let's have some respect for Chapparal's, not just Californians :P

Sure the Suhr Moderns are awesome, but built many years later.

yngwie308

Having owned both they are completely different animals.

Yes Jackson Soloists are the guitars all other SuperStrats are judged by - the Soloist is the Standard.

But there are Good and Bad soloists. And the ones from the San Dimas era are special - they don't have a recessed Floyd - so the neck is angled back towards your body more. This makes them very comfy to play.

Having said that personally I prefer bolt on guitars. They are snappier and seem to be a bit more articulate.

Neck thrus in general can be a bit darker by comparison. I played a spanking brand new expensive Snake Skin Soloist the other day and I thought it sucked. Tone was for shit and it had Duncans in it.

Calis have better upper fret access if you use those upper frets obviously because they are a 27 fret guitar. Quality is also top notch as is the Jackson. Personally I prefer a Cali simply because it is a bolt on.

The Cali has some things you may or may not like also. Jackson necks are usually wider - 1'11/16" nuts. Calis are usually 1-5/8". I like wider.

The trem systems can be different also. A USA Jackson as a real Floyd.

I had a Cali that had a licensed trem that was not as good as the Floyd but close.

Today - right now - personally between the 2 I would go with the Cali.

Now if you were talking a PC1 it would be a different story.

I don't play those but I have played them.

So, I vote Hamer because the Cali has better access to higher frets and better tone -- actually, I still have to play a Jackson whose tone pleases me. I also own a Centaura (Slammer Series) and love to play it -- even if I don't play it as much as my vees.

...after 24 yrs my early '85 soloist custom [though retired , floyds no longer fulfilling my needs]

Got any pics? Please? That is one my Holy Grails...

shoot me an email, and I'll gladly send you some pics :D

f-ing photobucket is taking forever today...

<when you think super strat only one name should "ever " come to mind and thats the company that created the super strat>

Charvel?, Boogie Bodies? -the new Premier Guitar has a very good history of the 'hot rod' guitar. I've got a very early Boogie Bodies that is reportedly from the same Ash plank as a very famous very early EVH guitar. I should restore it to full super-strat from the standard strat that it is right now.

Archived