Hamer Fan Club Message Center

!!! Jackson Soloist vs. Hamer Californian !!!

Feynman

What do you think of when you think Super-Strat?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The set neck seems to solve the neck thru issue, no? I played my Cali at a show last night and it sure got some looks and a bit of feedback. It played well and may become a regular stage guitar. Having to get re-adjusted to having a Floyd under my hand...

The set neck seems to solve the neck thru issue, no? I played my Cali at a show last night and it sure got some looks and a bit of feedback. It played well and may become a regular stage guitar. Having to get re-adjusted to having a Floyd under my hand...

Yes.

Floyds are your friend. Even if you don't love them, they love you all the same. :lol:

I can say this having just spent a the last 25 minutes having WAY too much fun for that time on a Monday morning, with the Floyd on my CS Charvel Star. The OFR on that is essentially set up and performance perfection incarnate. No shit. :D

You know, my Yamaha RGX 1212 (neck through) is pretty dang awesome, too.

I consider it the equal in tone, action, feel to my Californian(s).

I got into guitar rock courtesy of Ibanez endorsers (mostly): Satriani, Vai, Gilbert..it expanded over time, but those were the guitars I associated with the shredders. I've never owned anything but a super strat (starting with a Peavey Vandenburg). I actually don't consider super-strats "shredders", since so many have different feels, sounds, etc. My iridescent Cali is the most shreddy thing I own (due to its flat and thin neck), but none of my others really are.

While I certainly concur that Vai, Satch, Gilbert et al helped to usher in the shred era and had a profound effect on me in that regard, I don't give Ibanez much credit for being at the forefront of the shred movement's beginnings. To me, it started with Jackson and Charvel. Brands like Performance and Kramer also factored in heavily.

I think Ibanez finally arrived on my radar when Vai broke out his very first Jem. While I was aware of Ibanez previous to that moment, they just didn't really equate with shred quite like Jackson and the rest.

Funny thing is, Hamer suffered from a lack of visibility with high-profile (or high volumes of, as in the case of Jackson and Ibanez) endorsers and I don't equate them with the formative years of my shred consciousness. Now, I couldn't imagine being happy with anything other than my Cali's (and my CS Charvel Star :ph34r: )

I cannot vote. I love them all in their own way. My 87 Chap is my favorite guitar, has been since I bought it. But I have played Soloists that were, IMO, at least it's equal in terms of playability.

I might have posted on this thread already - don't feel like going back through all the pages - MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE IMO.

Jackson necks personally feel the best of any necks I have ever felt - particularly the Charvel models. For me it is all about the neck which translates to playability and comfortability.

D shaped, Jumbo Frets, 1-11/18" nut and combination radius is what I prefer. Hamers TYPICALLY are more of a C shape, 1-5/8" nut, medium frets - their necks feel small to my hands. Amazing what small differences translate to when playing.

But hey - there are some things about the Soloist that I don't like. Painted neck for one thing. I have also played a few Soloists that sounded terrible. Might have been the pick ups though. I actually prefer their Dinky over the Soloist.

I also like Bolt On necks over neck through or set neck. They seem to have more of a percussiveness to them. My hand also feels cramped up at the 22nd - 24th fret if the neck is too skinny up there like most set necks and neck thrus. I find the right bolt on neck set up properly gives me an anchor to grab which spreads out my fingers more comfortably up on the higher registers.

I have to admit liking both bolt ons, set and neck thrus. Got 'em all but it's hard to make comparisons because they're all on different types of guitars- set and bolt-on Cali's, neck thru Gibson, bolt on Charvel, set neck (presumably) Vector, and soon, a Jackson neck thru Star.

Despite different neck carves as well as radii, frets sizes and neck finishes, they all are keepers.

Interesting discussion this.

I concur with what has been said on the importance of a neck. Some of my guitars have great necks and I use them all regularly. Others are, how can I put it, a little bit iffy. Consequently I rarely even pick them up.

For what it's worth my Cali is my favourite shredder but it has a beefy neck (for a super strat). My RAN custom has the best playing neck of any I own (to date). It is sublime and incredibly fast.

I concur with what has been said on the importance of a neck. Some of my guitars have great necks and I use them all regularly. Others are, how can I put it, a little bit iffy. Consequently I rarely even pick them up.

For what it's worth my Cali is my favourite shredder but it has a beefy neck (for a super strat). My RAN custom has the best playing neck of any I own (to date). It is sublime and incredibly fast.

DBraz- I am interested in hearing more about your RAN. A few years ago, whilst struck with a particularly virulent case of GAS for a custom spec-ed guitar that no big name builder would touch (because of legalities over the headstock shape) I was apprised of RAN and liked what I saw, heard. Ultimately, I abandoned that quest but would consider them again having heard your praise of the neck.

• 2 weeks later...

DBraz- I am interested in hearing more about your RAN. A few years ago, whilst struck with a particularly virulent case of GAS for a custom spec-ed guitar that no big name builder would touch (because of legalities over the headstock shape) I was apprised of RAN and liked what I saw, heard. Ultimately, I abandoned that quest but would consider them again having heard your praise of the neck.

Sorry for the late response matey I must have missed this...

I was given my RAN at a VERY good price through circumstances that presented themselves and was not in the market for one when I got it.

It has been a really pleasant surprise. The neck build is excellent as is the fretwork and inlay quality. It is also a shredders neck and super fast. I had it painted "Mr Rusty" as the only failing of the whole guitar (shape aside - RR shape is not my thing) was the paint which chipped off rather easily.

I have heard that RAN have, at times, had a chequered history with variable quality in some years. The RAN I have is an early one (on their first gallery page) and I cannot praise it enough.

• 3 months later...

I wish Hamer had made either the Cali or Chaparral out of Alder, instead of both being Mahogany. (standard model)

The Diablo and imports was 8 years too late. I would take a USA Diablo over any Charvel Model Series 86-89.

What is the difference in price for a late 80's Alder Cali vs a Jackson Soloist?

The early imports are great guitars but again late to the game, and compared to low to mid Charvel MIJ Model Series, the necks are not as good. The bodies might be better in the Slammer Series. You can see how well the Model Series have held up after nearly 30 years.

Hamer makes better guitars, they were just not as focused on Metal guitars. They had already established themselves which may have hurt them 85-92

The Cali Deluxes are Alder bodies... I had one that was a monster. Should have kept it, but i say that about every guitar that has gone through my grubby hands over the past 35 years...

I did put the "standard" model in my post. Either the Cali or Chap. might have sold better if one (standard model) was made out of alder. Reasoning is if course that 90% of strats are made from alder, and a Superstrat is basically supposed to be a strat type guitar with humbucker's and locking whammy, I love the sound of Mahogany, but if you look at custom strat orders, most were for Alder or Ash. Seems like musicians that were the sole guitarist ordered more mahogany. It stands out more in a mix imo. It has less to do with the sound quality than marketing to the masses. A Cali sounds more like Brian May's guitar than Eddie V's. imo.

QUESTION: How much were Diablo's new? So I can compare against other guitars of similar price.

What is the biggest difference in a Diablo vs Centaura? And what year did they 1st come to market?

Archived