Hamer Fan Club Message Center

You ever come up with a riff...

unfun75

I was practicing/jamming tonight and I started playing this stoner metal riff that I thought was pretty cool. The more I played it though, the more I thought I'd heard it before. I was thinking it was a Rainbow or Black Sabbath riff, but after listening to the intros of the tracks I thought it may be, I couldn't find it. I'd hate to make a song of it only to discover later its a complete ripoff.

This ever happen to any of you?

We're all influenced by stuff we hear, and as human beings and as musicians, we have a built-in 'scratchpad' which stores stuff up from maybe years ago. You know the deal - you hear a great riff when you're a kid, you figure out how to play it, and then 20 years later a diluted version of that riff pops up out of the old memory banks and it's incorporated (almost subconsciously) into our own music without you really knowing where the hell it came from. It's a challenge which faces every songwriter on the planet, and you have my total sympathy................

Influence-wise: What if you compose something, actually record it, then realize you'd heard it before; i.e., you "subliminally" ripped it off, not realizing you'd done such? Happened to me once; somebody pointed out a lick on an instrumental I'd done, naming the band who'd done the same lick (although mine had harmony notes with two different guitars), and it was even in the same damn key! And I even had the album in my own collection! But I swear I never realized the connection, at least, overtly. Still embarrassing, though...

That's happened to me a few times. I've gone back and eliminated the "influence", even if I was pretty sure Id heard it before. I occasionally have an entire song come into my head with all instrumentation-in those cases, it's hard to convince myself that it could possibly be my original thought.

I occasionally have an entire song come into my head with all instrumentation-in those cases, it's hard to convince myself that it could possibly be my original thought.

Yeah, sometimes its hard to believe that something so simple could be original.

Lyrically I did...

Spent about 4-5 hours writing lyrics that I was sure was

gonna make me rich beyond my Dreams but after

all that time working on what I titled "City Woman"

I realized some guy named Roy Orbison wrote

a song a long time ago...sure words were completley

different but..Few few tweaks and mine would have

fallen right in his groove..... :P

Just happened to me not so many days ago. I was working on this instrumental piece and came with this cool chord progression for the chorus... I recorded the rhythm guitar parts over a basic drums track and was happy as hell because the riffs were very catchy and the chord progression meant something... when suddenly I caught myself humming a UFO song over "my" music. :P

I was screwing around with a cool chord progression at practice one day (something guitar players never do) and the bass player sez "wow Season of the Witch cool song" I'd never heard of it. Went home You Tubed it and sure as shit had it down pat. Right key and everything. I don't remember hearing the song and if I had it must have been 20 years ago

Sure. And so what.

Unless you're planning on releasing it on a CD and trying to make money off of it, you're not going to get sued.

So go ahead and finish that creative vision in your head. If it does turn out that it is the same as something else, see if you can tweak around the similarities. If not, that's why there's a new project tab in Garage Band. : )

Archived