Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTF?!?

atquinn

What's going on? The '59 set in my "new" Studio Custom sounds surprisingly good, almost as good as the Seth Lovers in my (former) black chambered Studio Custom. Maybe it's the Korina? The only other guitar I've ever liked a 59 in also had Korina (although it was a bolt-on Korina Ibanez 7-string, so not really comparable?). Maybe I'm just getting old? Anyway, I'm going to still swap them out (:P), but I'm pleasantly surprised!

-Austin

You know, I've had a few guitars that sounded really good with the 59s. I think they're good pickups that can do just about anything with the right amp. That being said, I've swapped them out of all of my guitars, too...

I'm going to still swap them out (:P)

That's the WTF bit right there.

Hey I didn't say they sounded perfect, just that they were good. They sound a little less nice than the Seth Lovers I had in a previous Studio. Could I live with them? Probably. But upgrading will cost me maybe 10 bucks or so (assuming I swap in some different Duncan pickup), so why not?

-Austin

I've got a '59 in the neck of my '91 Sunburst archtop that I wouldn't trade for anything! At least half my playing time is on that pickup alone, it sounds so, so right! Just the right amount of jazzy warmth soulful goodness until it gets cranked. Then it rips! :P

It is exactly the right pup in that guitar.

The only guitars I have had a 59 in that sounded good to me (and only in the neck position) were a Duotone and a diablo. I had a pair of them in my Standard Custom (korina body and neck) and they sounded crappy to me. I have Rios in my Standard now and they are better.

I have a 59 in the neck of a Standard I bought from Fenyman. It sounds good but the bridge is especially awesome SH-14 custom five? Anyway, what would be a good mate should I decide to improve the neck pu should I decide to do so?

If anything I want a little more sparkle, the bridge seems to have boatloads of it

I have a 59 in the neck of a Standard I bought from Fenyman. It sounds good but the bridge is especially awesome SH-14 custom five? Anyway, what would be a good mate should I decide to improve the neck pu should I decide to do so?

If anything I want a little more sparkle, the bridge seems to have boatloads of it

Pearly Gates.

-Austin

I thought the PG was known for bridge position mostly?

I thought the same about the Duncan Custom .... until I heard it in the neck of my SuperPro. Like buttah!

I heard a lollar Imperial in a Vinetto telecaster once and it was probably one of the best neck tones I ever heard (It could have been the guitar).

Could have been the player too! Probably can't go wrong with a Lollar either!

I thought the PG was known for bridge position mostly?

I thought the same about the Duncan Custom .... until I heard it in the neck of my SuperPro. Like buttah!

How does it sound clean. I have a Custom/Custom Custom set (from a Monaco) on the way to try out in my Studio I'm sure I'll like the bridge pickup since I can change it to a Custom 5 (which I had and liked in a former Studio) or a Custom 8 (which is all the rage on the Duncan forum right now), but I'm wondering if the Custom in the neck will sound like poop clean.

-Austin

How does it sound clean. I have a Custom/Custom Custom set (from a Monaco) on the way to try out in my Studio I'm sure I'll like the bridge pickup since I can change it to a Custom 5 (which I had and liked in a former Studio) or a Custom 8 (which is all the rage on the Duncan forum right now), but I'm wondering if the Custom in the neck will sound like poop clean.

-Austin

I couldn't be more impressed with it clean. Although keep in mind that a.) my "cleans" come thru the dirty/boosted side of my amps with the guitar's volume rolled off (which is pretty clean, the way I have my amps set up) and b.) I'm known for having bad taste and a tin ear, so YMMV. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, though.

I have a couple shots of tequila in me so I'm not really sure what you're talking about with regard to the bridge pickup but in case you don't have any experience with it, the Custom Custom has a SHITLOAD of midrange. Can be a bit off-putting when you're playing solo but with a band, it slashes thru a mix like no other. I finally got recordings from our November show where I played the SuperPro for the first time and my solos were cutting like a mofo.

Put the Custom's in tonight. Haven't fully tweaked them yet, but so far...holy shit! They sound great with all levels of dirt and not bad clean (given the resistance readings, they'd probably sound great split, but my pickups are single conductors, so that's a project for another day) . I'm especially amazed at how good the Custom sounds in the neck. Somewhat dark, but not muddy at all. Great for distorted soloing.

As an aside, I compared the 59's to the Fillmores in my chambered Studio and decided not to try swapping them; the 59's sounded better(!)

-Austin

The '59 is a good all-around garden variety pickup that has a pleasing tonal balance and easily controlled distortion curve when you drive it. At some point, however, you realize it's not all that dynamic and that increased clarity and more air and overtones would be nice.

The pair that does it for me is the Rio Grande Texas at the neck and BBQ Bucker at the bridge. Huge range of applicability. Great dirt, great R&R sounds, and the BBQ can take you right into overtone and pinch harmonic territory, but also very musical, rich, and dimensional. Played clean it yields a rich, yet clear, complex harmonic structure.

Right now I don't have a set, but I've played the PesoPro after Peso put this combo in and it's really good. I also had a set put in my stepson's Epi Les Paul and it absolutely transformed it into a serious rock machine.

I'd like to put a set in my Anniversary and my ES-335 style Ibanez AS-180.

As an aside, I compared the 59's to the Fillmores in my chambered Studio and decided not to try swapping them; the 59's sounded better(!)

There ya go!

The pair that does it for me is the Rio Grande Texas at the neck and BBQ Bucker at the bridge. Huge range of applicability. Great dirt, great R&R sounds, and the BBQ can take you right into overtone and pinch harmonic territory, but also very musical, rich, and dimensional. Played clean it yields a rich, yet clear, complex harmonic structure.

That's the setup I have in my PRS and that guitar gets nothing but raves from everyone who plays it. If anything, the Genuine is too ballsy under heavy distortion, but I rarely use it with the volume knob all the way up, so that helps a lot.

Archived