Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The rarest regular-production Hamer USA guitar?

specialk

I am not a Hamer scholar by any means, so who knows why this train of thought is invading my brain...

Anyone have any ideas/nominees for the rarest Hamer USA regular-production model? Not any limited runs, or one-offs, but a regular model run that for whatever reason ended with a small number of finished product.

My thinking is either the Watson or the Virtuoso, but maybe there were some production models in much smaller quantities than these.

Thanks for any ideas. I may hear of some Hamers I've never heard of before and get to do some internet research!

sk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure serial will chime in, but I'd say that the impact bass has got to be low numbers as well as those you mentioned.

Also the TLE Custom (with boomers, ebony board and a Floyd).

Less valuable, but pretty uncommon (is scarce the right word?) are Steve Stevens IIs. I would love to find a hardtail version of either a TLE Custom or an SSII.

I think that the lowest production instrument that was featured in a catalog/pricelist would be the Quadbass. I would be surprised if there were ever more than a handful made, and they were in the catalog for a number of years as the most expensive instrument offered.

I think I have only seen 5-6 EVER.

I think that the lowest production instrument that was featured in a catalog/pricelist would be the Quadbass. I would be surprised if there were ever more than a handful made, and they were in the catalog for a number of years as the most expensive instrument offered.

And 6-string guitar?

Six string would probably be the Virtuoso! - probably only a few dozen of those made. The Sustainblock versions would be the most rare.

And 6-string guitar?

Virtuoso?

Take the 6-string restriction off though, and the Maestro would probably be the rarest.

Maestro doubleneck is even more rare, but then I don't think those were true catalog models...

As far as basses, Impacts aren't nearly as rare as the Quadbasses. I think that the neck-through Impact (v. the set neck models) were more Prototypes than regular production items, even though they were featured in an early '90s catalog.

Virtuoso! guitars were not what I'd consider "production" instruments-there might be two dozen or so out there, but they were on the price sheets.

Watsons were never a production model and were never on price sheets that I'm aware of, so they'd be customs for sure.

FBs are pretty rare-I don't think that there is anything approaching 60-70 of those and although there were more basses done than guitars, I wouldn't think that the total #s come near 200.

Exotic wood Impacts? Maybe 5 or 6 and they were catalog guitars.

Regular Impacts? I don't have info on those, but I wouldn't guess 50 in all-if more, certainly not many.

There weren't many Standard basses (four digit or otherwise, more than anything above though), but there were tons of Blitzes done.

Quadbassess are REALLY rare-I used to know the number, but it's less than 10 IIRC.

Maestros? Three including the doubleneck I think.

A few mini Standards, Strats, Teles, etc. There were some custom "Ricky" guitars too.

Right here!

peters.jpgcd43x.jpg

Was the double neck Cali a production guitar? Not too many of those out there either...

A Custom order, technically, but available in several catalogs and pricelists. I've seen a fair number of those, relatively speaking. Not common by any stretch, but not as rare as a Virtuoso! or Quadbass.

Also there was that green trans artist doubleneck that was done in the late 90's. I think that was supposed to be a standard offering because it was tooled up like a production instrument rather than a one-off custom. As far as I know only that one example exists. I remember it was a bitch to find a chunk of flame maple wide enough to make that top.

Take the 6-string restriction off though, and the Maestro would probably be the rarest.

Maestro doubleneck is even more rare, but then I don't think those were true catalog models...

As far as basses, Impacts aren't nearly as rare as the Quadbasses. I think that the neck-through Impact (v. the set neck models) were more Prototypes than regular production items, even though they were featured in an early '90s catalog.

Oops. Meant Quad Bass. I can picture the doubleneck but what does a single neck Maestro look like?

I thought about those too Bob, but I don't think they were ever in a catalog or pricelist. I've seen probably no more than a dozen of those, and that includes two lefties (one vintage Hofner Burst the other blueburst). I'd love to get one of those, but that ain't gonna happen!

What about that Paul Stanley scarab thing? Litas impact 6 string?

Those were custom one-offs.

Archived