Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Whos your greatest influence?

ScubaMarket

As a geriatric blues bass player, I'd have to say Willie Dixon, Larry Taylor (Canned Heat, Hollywood Fats), Jerome Arnold (Paul Butterfield) and Jack Bruce are my greatest influences. I learned how to play blues by playing along with Butterfield's first 2 albums then expanded my horizons.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Frank Marino. After that a whole slew of players from Schenker to Chris Impellitterri.

Ah! I haven't listened to anything from Impellitteri for a very looooong time. The sole album I have from him is the first one --was it "Stand in Line" its title? Anyway, I love Graham Bonnet's voice and style. Can you please recommend me something newer from Impellitteri?

Also major influences were guys I jammed with over the years who showed me stuff.

I should have also mentioned that. I've learned a lot from the players I've played with -- for example, Nick here got me into Randy Rhoads not so long ago.

Hey Z: I have Impellitteri's greatest hits - called Best of Impellitteri. 2 CD set. Cost me about $20 to get cause it was only available from Japan where he lives.

I just checked ebay and they had it on there for over $40!

A couple of really kick ass songs on there though. You know I still have his instruction VHS. It was the first VHS I had devoted to speed technique. I just about fell of my chair the first time I saw it.

If you can get the song Warrior - that is my fav by him. The other one is Hungry Days. Both good songs.

Hard to say, but I'll try

The Who was the first band I liked, other than the top 40 bubble gum crap I listened to up to that point.

Mick Taylor era Stones, But keef is prolly more of an influence, cause he's a rhythmn monster.

The Rev. Billy G. Early ZZ Top

Steely Dan had an huge influence on me, but I don't think you'd hear it in my playing, maybe thought process or writing

Jim Croce - there I said it. I don't like any of his mellow stuff, but stuff like "Roller Derby Queen", and "Don't mess around w/ Jim" I enjoyed from the first time I heard it when I was 8-9, and I still enjoy his more raucous stuf (I use that term loosely)

Rubber Soul and after era Beatles

More than one person has told me my playing style is Allman Bros.-ish. Odd because I'm not a huge fan. I like them OK, and I guess people are refering to Dicky more than Duane, as I rarely play slide.

Other than that, I've been influenced, in a big way by so many

I still hear stuff today that hits me, whether new stuff or just discovered, that immedietley impacts my approach to music, playing, thought, technique.

Hmmm... Greatest influence? That's tough... there are too many... but... if I had to choose one...

hawkins-716736.jpg

Guitar-wise, however, it's probably Richard Thompson or Brian Setzer. Unknown Hinson earns a very honorable mention.

UnknownHinson.jpg

I'm very caught up in the spooky edge of roots rawk, as you might guess.

Grimm Dave

More than one person has told me my playing style is Allman Bros.-ish. Odd because I'm not a huge fan. I like them OK, and I guess people are refering to Dicky more than Duane, as I rarely play slide

Odd when this happens, as I constantly get the same comparison - I've had at least a dozen people compare my playing to Mark Knopfler. I rarely listen to Dire Straits and I've never owned an album. I have no problem with Mark (I do admit to liking his guitar tone, since the comparisons started - I guess similar taste in amps/guitars), but it always strikes me as weird that I "sound like him". I'm guessing that these types of situations happen due to common influence and taste.

Nobody misses (or gets wrong) the Tom Waits influence when I open my mouth to sing... err... caterwaul. :D

Grimm Dave

Inspiration: Randy Rhoads, Vivian Campbell, Matthias Jabs, Ace, Dave Murry/Adrian Smith, Hetfield/Hammet, Mustaine, Marty Friedman, although I'm no where near that.

Influence: What I'm alot closer to is Billie Joe Armstrong, Noodles, Barry Stock, Paul Phillips, Dan Donegan.

Jethro Tull, Joe Jackson, and Elvis Costello for how I wish I could write songs.

Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick for how I wish I could play guitar and bass.

Van Halen for how I wish I could play loud and be wild.

CHRIS SQUIRE! (Yes in general, really)

...and Cheap Trick, Sparks, 10cc, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Kinks, Kiss, Rush,

Queen, T-Rex, ELO, and David Bowie in no particular order. :D

Terry

Musically: Lemmy, Jack Bruce

Onstage aesthetics: The Astronauts (Boulder, CO), the Bushmen (Atlanta, GA). Both '60s bands.

Real Life: My father; he'll turn 87 this year. Most honorable man I've ever known.

As I was learning who I was on the guitar, I was most listening to Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour, Pete Townsend, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was most "influenced" by Pete, but play much more like Alex...Go figure.

Probably Dave Meniketti, Steve Clark (Def Lep), Gary Moore, John Sykes, Scott Gorham........I'm an eighties teenager!!!

baf34697.jpg

Gilles Villeneuve and family.

b724fa6d.jpg

5fa8503e.jpg

a3b0a6b9.jpg

9be74121.jpg

JeffBeckandEricClaptonplusFlluff-12.jpg

Randy California

John Cippolina

Gary Duncan

Paco de Lucia

Andreas Segovia

Esteban...just jokingLOL

Robert Johnson

Albert Collins

Allen Collins

Brian May

Eddie Van Halen (1977-1984 RIP)

Top Topham

Ariel Bender

Big Jim Sullivan

Mel Bay

Wes Montgomery

Django Reinhardt

The Ventures

The Beatles

The Nice

Blodwyn Pig

Jethro Tull

Jesus Christ

yngwie308

Hey Yngwie308! You seem to be the full-packed ultimate shredder... There's a lot of REALLY GREAT stuff in your list, dude!

Archived