Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tone Pros locking tailpiece

I'm thinking of getting one for my '91 Sunburst:

IMG_1015.jpg

Those who have them: Are they worth it? Notice any changes for the better/worse? The Special K I had had the locking wraptail and I sure did like it, but I've never tried their locking "normal" tail. I don't have any issues with the original tailpiece on the Sunburst, and if it ain't broke... Anyway, if you have an opinion either way, let me know. Thanks!

sk

I like them, I put the abr style bridge and aluminum stop bar tailpiece on my sg, i think it gets a bit more sustain, and it definitely makes stuff you have to take all the strings off for a breeze.

i am a posting fool this afternoon

My last 2 Hamers came equipped with Tone Pros locking tailpiece and bridge. The only advantage that I see is that the tailpiece doesn't go sliding off the studs and scratch the top of the guitar. I do not hear any difference whatsoever. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money retro-fitting.

My last 2 Hamers came equipped with Tone Pros locking tailpiece and bridge. The only advantage that I see is that the tailpiece doesn't go sliding off the studs and scratch the top of the guitar. I do not hear any difference whatsoever. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money retro-fitting.

What he said.

-Austin

+1

I rarely, if ever, take off all the stings at once. I change them one at time - so there is no chance of the tailpiece slipping off. I've read that TP tailpiece supposedly increases sustain, but I have doubts and would put that $ towards other gear :)

I put a set on The Money Pit (a Czech-made Dean Caddy that i blinged out), but i also replaced the machine heads and cut a bone nut at the same time, so it's hard to tell what the tonal difference was from just the bridge. I do know that guitar flat out howls now.

Staying put when changing strings is a definite plus. Not sure if that is enough to justify the price.

I know i'm happy with the guitars that i have it on, and would probably buy another set if needed. The bridge was tight - no wigglies on the saddles or (obviously) not on the posts after they were locked down. That has to make some difference, IMHO...

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money retro-fitting.

You guys who pay several hundred dollars for a blinged out top, then gawk at a $100 piece that will protect the top crack me up. LOL!!

Simple question.

If your tailpiece accidentally comes off when changing strings and damages your top, will you be upset? If the answer is yes, then what the fuck are you waiting for?

You guys who pay several hundred dollars for a blinged out top, then gawk at a $100 piece that will protect the top crack me up. LOL!!

Simple question.

If your tailpiece accidentally comes off when changing strings and damages your top, will you be upset? If the answer is yes, then what the fuck are you waiting for?

Who changes their stings all at once? By changing one-at-a-time, you maintain most of the tension the neck is used to and keep string tension in balance with truss rod tension. The only reasons to change all at once would be to clean the fret board or replace a pickup, both of which can be done with strings on - or by simply removing the tailpiece. But hey, if you got a spare benjy to throw . . .

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money retro-fitting.

Simple question.

If your tailpiece accidentally comes off when changing strings and damages your top, will you be upset?...

Yes, because it would mean I was an incredible dumb-ass :)

-Austin

The only reasons to change all at once would be to clean the fret board or replace a pickup, both of which can be done with strings on

Or just remove all 4 inner strings and leave both E strings on.

I have been considering buying one of these for my Gibson. I don't know if it would improve tone and I almost never take all of the strings off at once, but the stock Nashville bridge will move on the studs ever so slightly if pushed on. That being the case, it would have to move around with temperature changes, changes in string tension due to bending, etc. The TonePros would keep this from happening.

Who changes their stings all at once? By changing one-at-a-time, you maintain most of the tension the neck is used to and keep string tension in balance with truss rod tension.

I do, it is *way* easier and you can clean the fb more thoroughly with all of the strings off. I have yet to see a well made guitar be damaged because all of the strings are off. IMHO that is nonsense.

Again, to me this is a no brainer. Time is money, and I would rather spend my time playing instead of removing one string at a time..jesus, that sounds tedious as hell.

I never take strings off one at a time either. Even on guitars with trems.

I don't know how you can manage that, especially with floating trems, but more power to you. I'm a one-at-a-time guy. I don't know how that approach takes any more time than taking all the strings off.

I don't know how you can manage that, especially with floating trems, but more power to you. I'm a one-at-a-time guy. I don't know how that approach takes any more time than taking all the strings off.

I don't know how he does it, but I used to put something behind the trem to keep it level. When I had a Floyd I used to put a sock in the recess. On standard trems, I will depress the trem all the way and put something soft between the body and trem to keep from damaging the body.

I clean and oil the entire fb at once. How do you clean and oil under one string at a time? That sounds like a complete PITA. I take a good string winder, loosen all the strings and cut them all at once. I then clean the fb and oil shortly after. At this point I clean all of the hardware and clean and polish between the pickups. How the hell do you do *this* one string at a time? LOL!!!

I don't know how he does it, but I used to put something behind the trem to keep it level. When I had a Floyd I used to put a sock in the recess. On standard trems, I will depress the trem all the way and put something soft between the body and trem to keep from damaging the body.

I clean and oil the entire fb at once. How do you clean and oil under one string at a time? That sounds like a complete PITA. I take a good string winder, loosen all the strings and cut them all at once. I then clean the fb and oil shortly after. At this point I clean all of the hardware and clean and polish between the pickups. How the hell do you do *this* one string at a time? LOL!!!

Yup. That's what I do to. With TOM bridges, I just lay a hand towel under the tailpiece so it falls on there. Then I take it off along with the bridge when I do the cleaning Makes cleaning the surface of the guitar nice and easy.

-Austin

Guest pirateflynn

Yup. That's what I do to. With TOM bridges, I just lay a hand towel under the tailpiece so it falls on there. Then I take it off along with the bridge when I do the cleaning Makes cleaning the surface of the guitar nice and easy.

-Austin

Yep, me too.

My guitars don't cost more than my house. Therefore, I don't need to clean and oil the fretboards every time I change strings. When that time comes, I leave both E strings on.

My guitars don't cost more than my house. Therefore, I don't need to clean and oil the fretboards every time I change strings. When that time comes, I leave both E strings on.

LOL!!! Good point. I am only changing strings about every 4-6 months depending on the season. At the end of that cycle, my guitar is completely full of gunk and sweat and the smell of smoke. A thorough cleaning is mandatory at that time.

If I am not gigging with the guitar I will change the strings every 6 months just to keep them fresh.

Archived