Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Keeping time

Hey great question!

What has helped me with tricky solos (ie: long fast runs) and rhythms is to listen to the tune like close your eyes, listen to the tune 20 times in a row while nodding your head, tapping your feet on the floor, tapping your hands to your lap all at the same time. Get a feel for where the lick starts and ends (usually lasts a few bars at the most). Instead of trying to time every single note perfectly, I just know where it starts and where it ends and time the start point and end point perfectly and just feel my way through the middle. Otherwise, I feel like I'm doing the piano thing and chanting "one-n-and-a-two-n-and-a-three-n-and etc..."

Great reply. We have a 2nd guitarist who is a great player, timing is pretty good but if he would listen to the song 20 or so times in a row he would greatly improve. He will burn himself out by not following the melody. We do "Rock Bottom" by UFO and by not pacing himself in the beginning of the solo he is burnt out before it is over. Follow the melody and ease in and out of the parts. Also pay attention to the dynamics of the song. The highs and lows, palm muting, etc. I have to have the song basically burnt into my mind before I am comfortable with it, as I am not a "natural" like most of the guys here on the board.

Just more 2 cents...

Practice along with the live AC/DC video (the one done in Scotland).

Their drummer always keeps great time.

Practice along with the live AC/DC video (the one done in Scotland).

Their drummer always keeps great time.

Is it on family jewels? Or is it the long way to the top video?

Long way to the top

I wanted to learn the bagpipes after i saw this :)

Seriously the only other video i know is the one done in paris in 79 i believe

Thanks

I learned to play drums in part to become a better bass player. It helped a lot. I would echo the sentiment that you count, tap, drum or whatever when listening to music until you instinctively feel the beat of the song. Once that habit forms, you won't have a problem.

Archived