Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Want A Talladega?

Cool! I entered as well. Also, you can request the Hamer DVD and/or 2009 catalog when you enter if you don't already have those (I have the DVD floating around somewhere, but not a "bathroom" copy of the catalog B))

-Austin

Ha! One more.

On another note, yesterday I got my email delivery of the electronic edition of Premier Guitar. I also got my hard copy of Guitar Player. Premier Guitar had tons of stuff this month including a really different article on one of my favorite guitarists, Alex Lifeson. This issue of Guitar Player, on the other hand, was a combination of what I like to call the "Annual Advertiser Edition" (aka New Gear Edition) and the "Hey, Look What I Think Edition" (aka Reader's Poll). Endless photos of all the stuff that has been released over the past twelve months coupled by endless stock photos of what the collective consciousness of the guitar playing public that had and took the time to respond to their poll decided was important.

It was humorous that this Guitar Player included my subscription renewal. I am really considering jumping to the hard copy of Premier Guitar. I have read GP for more than twenty years, but I find PG to be more relevant - they seem to be asking people I am curious about questions that I would ask. That article on Jason Lollar last year, for example, was fantastic. Even the article on the Tele builders a couple of months ago, and I don't play Teles. Am I being a little hard on GP?

Sorry guys. I entered and they wrote back and said, "I'll be the winner, but I need to keep quiet until the drawing."

I need a tele with buckers.

B)

Funny, they just emailed me and said If that was all you needed, they would send you this, and that I was getting the Talladega. B)

<snip>

Am I being a little hard on GP?

No. This is exactly how I was feeling about it. Sometimes, I think that PG is getting more gear oriented and less of the excellent playing and performer articles that I saw when I first subscribed. But, I still think it is light-years ahead. I've been thinking of ditching GP too, but I've been reading it for over 25 years.

I have not picked up a copy of Guitar Player in a long time. What I liked about it when I started buying it in the early 80's was how the interviews included players of all styles. The magazine made me aware of more than just the rock and roll players I knew. The different departments were cool, too. We could read about guitar repair, electronics projects, and some music lessons.

By the time Guitar World came along all we got were rock stars and more rock stars. It seems like all the guitar magazines were like that. The music lessons were becoming more singular in scope, too.

Vintage Guitar was a wonderful find. The articles were much more like the old Guitar Player. The interviews were more varied. Life was good. Premier Guitar is a long way from Vintage Guitar, but it does seem that the editors are trying to come up with something interesting and useful.

PG > GP, IMO.

PG is the first guitar mag I have actually 'read' in a long while.

Interesting. I actually find Premier Guitar virtually unreadable. Always have. No problem reading GP or any of the other mags though.

-Austin

Interesting. I actually find Premier Guitar virtually unreadable. Always have. No problem reading GP or any of the other mags though.

-Austin

Equally interesting. Unreadable in what way?

Back to the matter at hand. The guitar in question arrived off the UPS truck just a second ago.

Pics to follow.

-Austin

Equally interesting. Unreadable in what way?

There's something annoying about the layout and there's never more than one or two articles in any given issue that interest me. However, it has been an invaluable teaching tool as my daughter now can distinguish between guitars and amps quite well B)!

-Austin

Archived