Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What was your first Hamer?

Mine - 2002 Tobacco Monaco Elite

Hamer7.jpg

Little did I know that buying it and joining the HFC would send me into an insane spiral of buying and selling.

As as side note, I feel content with my guitar and amp setup now. It is a really strange feeling.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

91 Sunburst. I wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford one with the top I wanted. Found this one and it was twice what I wanted. At the time I was into the 60's thin necks and it was awsome. Sometimes I think I'm chasing the tone that that one had.

mystuff030.jpg

Don't hve a photo, but an early 80s' prototype. Single coil in the neck along with the triple coil in the bridge. Nice guitar. Bought it new, long gone.

I wanted a Les Paul

That's how I found mine. I had never heard of Hamer. I typed "Les Paul" in the Gear Page classifieds. Luckily the owner typed something like "better than any Les Paul..." and I hit Google. Found this place, bought the guitar, and lost my mind...

Edited to add (and I know this is unlike me to say): You shouldn't have sold that one! That top is perfection.

Brought this '79 Standard home from Ralph's Pawn Shop Jacksonville, Fl. 12/3/82 along with a Black and White 4 Digit Vector and an Electra MPC Les Paul clone. Still have Sherry Baby and Sonny, the Electra LP clone. REALLY miss the Vector! :):);):):lol::)

79ham4.jpg

my only Hamer. 81 Special Opaque Red.

$300 used, 1987.

It was my heart and soul playing through college while eating sustanance of Ramon and cheap spaghetti. Hours and hours, esp Labor day weekends with commercial free radio. The only thing that would stop me from playing was the last 2 1/2 inning of Mets home game on Channel 9 TV. this went on for years.

I am ashamed I didn't have enough $ to what I considered dating.

As as side note, I feel content with my guitar and amp setup now. It is a really strange feeling.

:) Mitch, you already know you're not alone... :)

My first American Hamer was that Vector KK I sold to that guy in South Florida.

My next purchase should be a Vector of the newer generation --maybe a Korina, but I'm not sure. However, it won't happen in the immediate future.

Pawn shop prize acquired in '00 for $150---Some black solidbody US-made bass, no frills, three knobs, P/J pickups with a busted magnet inside the P pickup, replaced with a Fender pickup. I really gravitated to its feel as a utility instrument; it felt more...well, "solid" than some of my other (more expensive) basses that I would consider for utility. Let it go because it was too hard to see the fret markers and side dots onstage, even though I considered sticking on larger dots, etc.

These days, due to my almost-60-year-old eyesight I have to have maple boards with black fret markers and black side dots, or binding and block markers on basses (and guitars) with rosewood or ebony fretboards.

But Jeezus, when I think of all the Hamers I saw in the late '70s, '80s, and '90s that I passed on getting...(!)

cali-front-small-01.jpg

1990 Californian Elite that I bought in '97 for $200 and a MIM Strat.

A great guitar... super light, resonant, it had that wide, flat neck with those jumbo frets, and it even hed the better Floyd nut that didn't' bolt all the was through the neck. My number one guitar for around eight years until its' thin neck caused my left hand to cramp every time I played it.

Since I can't afford to keep guitars around I don't play, it had to go. Too bad for me it was at a time when the prices for less than stellar examples had just about bottomed out. I damn sure got $200+Mexistrat worth of good times out of it.

No pics of the first one, a mid-90s Echotone import in Aztec Gold. Very nice for the money.

My first USA Hamer was the 96 T-51 that I have foolishly let go of.

IMG_0270.jpg

Oh well, I am still happy!

1st was an excellent slammer series sunburst flattop (on right), i bought it in the mid 1990's as a gig backup for my les paul studio; i ended up using it all the time so i sold the LP.

second hamer (1st usa) was the 25th annv on left, very nice but slightly bigger neck than i like,

and it was surprisingly bright for a semihollow mahogany guitar (i eventually sold the slamer and the 25th).

3rd (and still my #1 guitar) is my duotone (shown here before phatcats);

it is the only piece of gear that i will never sell, everything else i own is temporary.

hamers03.jpg

A 1977 Sunburst that I got used in 78... then traded away about a year later :)

That's the way it was back then, I had 2 guitars and always had to trade in one to get another.

No picture, just great memories.

:)

Mark.

1983 USA Cruise bass I bought for $400 used at a Guitar store in Fort Walton beach.

Here's a picture from about that time. The blue one in the middle.

kirksquiver.jpg

A close up recently taken. 1.jpg

Still sounds and plays great. Although I admit I've brought out the painted Fender bullit in the first picture and have started playing it again.

edited to move forward in time.

Mine - 2002 Tobacco Monaco Elite

Hamer7.jpg

Little did I know that buying it and joining the HFC would send me into an insane spiral of buying and selling.

Coincidentally, that's practically the same as my first too!

Do you still have it? I have that thing to bits and pieces, but the lure of other Hamers is teasing me. Is this going to be the start of my own "insane spiral"?

2001 Vanguard. I was looking for a setneck guitar with good upper fret access (ie, a doublecut) and happened upon this. Here it is with Lawrence L500R/L500L pickups. I sold it after I won my Special at the last open house. Very nice guitar (but then, they all are :))

Vanguard.jpg

-Austin

Archived