Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What was your first Hamer?

4 digit I found at a pawn shop that was listed at $90 but walked out with it for $60-something.

The serial # was either 0220 or 0222 any of you guys have it, I sold it to BCRG......It was Bound with dots if i remember right..........

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

96 T51, was looking for a Tele and the store I was at was not a Fender dealer. He stuck the T51 in my hands. It was so much better than the Fender's I had tried, the search was over!

ArnieZ

In 1998 I got a 1996 Hamer USA Daytona NOS from defunct dealer (got it from Kit when he worked at GC before he hit the road). It was emerald transparent. No pics on this computer...

morningstar

Hey smarty, why don't you take another look at the top on your old Monaco. Which by the way I would buy in a heartbeat if I knew where it was.. :)

I wanted a Les Paul

That's how I found mine. I had never heard of Hamer. I typed "Les Paul" in the Gear Page classifieds. Luckily the owner typed something like "better than any Les Paul..." and I hit Google. Found this place, bought the guitar, and lost my mind...

Edited to add (and I know this is unlike me to say): You shouldn't have sold that one! That top is perfection.

My first, and only, Hamer, is a 96, or is 97? Anyways, a flamy-top sunburst style Studio Custom that I purchased from a very patient DavidE, he had to put up with some annoyances from paypal, converting Canadian funds to American. Anyways, it got to me safe and sound, DaveE got his $, and I got an awesome guitar.

I will never sell it!!!!

Pics when I finally get a photobucket account.

Rob in Ottawa

ps. Stock pickups. Looking for some nice PAF style, if anyone wants to get rid of something nice......Fralins, or WCR, or WB Gregwinds would be my first choice. Hit me a PM if you have some great PAFs that you have to sell.

A '77 Sunburst that I had from 78 to 80. I was playing a lot back then and had a bunch of guitars, but that was my #1.

Here's some pics from back then. These pics are 30 years old, man how time flies.

79hamer2.jpg

001_1.jpg

005_5.jpg

cali-front-small-01.jpg

1990 Californian Elite that I bought in '97 for $200 and a MIM Strat.

A great guitar... super light, resonant, it had that wide, flat neck with those jumbo frets, and it even hed the better Floyd nut that didn't' bolt all the was through the neck. My number one guitar for around eight years until its' thin neck caused my left hand to cramp every time I played it.

Since I can't afford to keep guitars around I don't play, it had to go. Too bad for me it was at a time when the prices for less than stellar examples had just about bottomed out. I damn sure got $200+Mexistrat worth of good times out of it.

$200...WOW!!!

2001 Vanguard. I was looking for a setneck guitar with good upper fret access (ie, a doublecut) and happened upon this. Here it is with Lawrence L500R/L500L pickups. I sold it after I won my Special at the last open house. Very nice guitar (but then, they all are :))

Vanguard.jpg

-Austin

I don't know why, but the Vang's are the greatest looking Hamers I've seen. It must be the color, cause I like 'em with and without the F-hole. Classy looking for sure.

Edit: I've seen the silver studios also.

My first and favorite is my '01 korina artist w/ 3 p90s. I was playing in nyc and somehow - in my haste to get mine and the drummer's equipment to the gig - i forgot to grab my gig bag (doh!) and had no guitar - luckily, a friend who shared our rehearsal space was at the show and came to the rescue w/ his korina p-90 - i was so impressed that later that week i called wilcutt and ordered one and have been glad every day that i did :)

artistsm1.jpg

77 Sunburst, bought in '86 for AUD$995. The shopfront had a window on the right of the doorway with about 5 guitars on display. On the left of the doorway was a smaller display window with one guitar.

sbbottomangle2.jpg

I also coulda chosen from a bunch of Phantoms with sustain block trems and locking tuners. I'd still like one of those.

77 Sunburst, bought in '86 for AUD$995. The shopfront had a window on the right of the doorway with about 5 guitars on display. On the left of the doorway was a smaller display window with one guitar.

sbbottomangle2.jpg

I also coulda chosen from a bunch of Phantoms with sustain block trems and locking tuners. I'd still like one of those.

Awesome looking one! How does it sound/play? Man.......those older Sunbursts have something to them, there's no doubt.

A new old stock 2002 Monaco Elite, in the Aztec Gold finish.

I bought it new in 2006 and haven't looked back since. :)

MonacoElite-newcamera2.jpg

A 2008 Hamer standard in 59 Burst (on floor) that sounds AWESOME .. My Hamer Standard #0192 that I waited 30 years for (center top).

hamerx.jpg

Now Ive gone Hamer NUTS ...4 more in the collection since the picture was taken :) >>>>>>>

hamcave3.jpg

MonacoElite-newcamera2.jpg

I've always enjoyed looking at your Elite, Sentinel. The figure of the top is subtle yet captivating (especially noticeable in some of your older pics.) A true beauty.

91 Sunburst. I wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford one with the top I wanted. Found this one and it was twice what I wanted. At the time I was into the 60's thin necks and it was awsome. Sometimes I think I'm chasing the tone that that one had.

mystuff030.jpg

I was very close to making a bid for that one when it came up for sale. It just oozes vintage vibe. Neck too skinny to get along with?

Edit:

Just noticed that you have it now Scuba. Congrats!

Tone report? :)

Blacky:

89-Cali-05.jpg

Bought it new while on the road in Houston. It's an '89 that i bought around '93 or so. It had been in the store, well, obviously a while, and had a couple dings and scratches because of it. I was a Gibson snob until then. This guitar taught me a lot. Since then, i've sold more Gibsons than i've bought. :)

Killer guitar. If i still did the shred thing, i never would have sold it.

1993 archtop gt. Gave it to my son but it will always stay in the family. Insane low action, no buzz, gritty p90s it rawks!

+1, except mine was a '94. Loved that thing. Eventually swapped out the p90's for minibuckers and loved it even more. Sadly, a downsizing casualty.

-Jonathan

My first was a 95 Studio wrap tail...Got it about 3 years ago. One of the most incredible guitars I had EVER played. I figured it was just one of those "the gods smiled down, the stars aligned, and everyone in the factory was happy that week" freak of nature type of things...I've since added 5 more, all of them incredible...The first is far right below...

0907001.jpg

My son started playing guitar so I gave him my Gibson Marauder. That left me with an excuse for getting a new guitar.

Always thought I'd get an LP. Then I heard about the hit or miss quality. I don't know enough about guitars to feel comfortable sifting through a bunch at a store to select a Keeper. I need something that no matter which one you pick, it's a Keeper. Then I heard about Hamers from that Ed Roman guy's website years ago. That led to this place.

So I knew I wanted a Hamer. Then my wife got me my Artist Custom! It's run of the mill, off the rack, but it's the greatest!

HameronBed2.jpg

Archived