Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rant and warning - Snake Oil Strings

This probably is old news, but I'm finally irritated enough to post about it.

I placed an order for 10 sets of Snake Oil strings through the SOS online store in November. I knew the wait would be significant, but I assumed I would get the strings within a few months.

Nope. Dean processed my credit card payment immediately and I still haven't gotten the strings nor a response to any of my e-mail inquiries.

Now it's far too late to dispute the charge and, unless I want to file a criminal complaint I'll just have to live with the fact that this massingillsack stole $100 from me.

:ph34r:

Stay away. As good as the strings are, they've become vaporware. SOS is the new Vintique.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been bad press about this guy for years, although when I tried some a few years ago, I got them quick. Didn't think they were anything special though. I guess Snake Oil is a fitting name?

-Austin

They really are excellent strings. I don't know technically what the difference is, but they feel more elastic than other brands, without any looseness or sloppiness. Hard to explain, but there's a real and easily discernable "trampoline effect" that's very positive.

Far more subjective, but IMO, also present, is a very harmonically full and pleasing tone.

I don't want to insult anyone's string of choice, but, for example, D'Addario strings sound and feel "cheap" to me. The tone is kind of "clangy" and the wound strings don't feel completely polished out. The SOS strings definitely feel more refined. I also believe that they sound better, but I can't completely dismiss the halo or placebo effect if I'm being completely honest.

I had the same issue a year ago. Took 4 months to get the strings if I remember correctly. I love the strings, if for no other reason than they only need a single strech when you put them on and they seem to hold tune much better than anything else on all sorts of guitars.

However I've gone back to DR's (just bought a case today), as I can't deal with the wait or lack of any semblence of customer service.

Hope you get yours soon.

I can't believe the number of people this guy has swindled and people still continue to order from him.

Sorry to hear about this Dave, but do contact your credit card.

Sorry about that, Dave. I guess this is one of the downsides to internet shopping.

LOL!

Hope you get it sorted out Badger.

This reminds me of a lessons customer of ours who bought an Ibanez from a private seller on Ebay. They brought it in for a set-up at which point I had to break the bad news that it had a twisted neck. I told them they should try and return it or get a partial refund or something. They contacted the seller who basically told them "tough". Then, the seller contacted Paypal to try and protect his sale, and Paypal turned around and gave the buyer a refund.

I used them for years. They are the best stings, they last for ever but when my stash was gone and read the horror stories on TGP I switched to Pyramid strings which aren't quite as good but last a very long time and sound great. Get them from

Toneman

Nice guy and ships.

PS. Everything I read was that you will get your strings it will just take forever.

Dean(SOS) is a local guy here in Tampa Bay. I'm suprised to read bad things. He is a standup guy. While I know he has some health issues, I dont think that would affect this. Let me see if I can get in contact with him.

I really didn't see the attraction of these strings. I tried a few sets a couple of years ago (I guess when he was still shipping), and they really didn't seem all that. They were slightly different, but I really like my EB strings, especially at $4 a set or less. They certainly didn't hold up any longer, either.

I understand about the feel aspect, though. Have you tried Thomastik? DR Blues? I like both of those strings for their feel. (But, then again, I like the feel of my EB power slinkys, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.)

Good luck, Dave, on resolving this!

Believe me, if there was a local shop or a dealer here who could provide this product, I'd buy a lifetime supply today.

Very interesting comments about other string choices. I used Fender Super Bullets for a decade and thought they were the schnizit. I stopped using them when I was playing Hamer Specials exclusively because the bullet ends stuck out of the string ferrules on the back of the guitar. I'll pick up another set and reaquaint myself.

I have used Thomastik-Infeld Power Brights, DR Blues and Pyramid strings. I liked all of them, had issues with DRs - the wrappings on the wound strings were defective on about 25% of the sets I bought, and have a bit of sticker shock at the current price of the others.

I may end up ordering a few sets of Pyramids and hoping for an eventual shipment from Dean.

I can't believe the number of people this guy has swindled and people still continue to order from him.

Sorry to hear about this Dave, but do contact your credit card.

Yep, me too. I heard about trouble a while ago on TGP. I actually have tried SOS before and I didn't like them. I'll stick with the same D'addario XL 9's that I've been using for over 30 years.

sorry about getting screwed Dave. Hopefully bad karma will get him. Either that or the police.

Damit, I really like theese strings, and a bit worried that I have 1-2 months left of supplies... Last order took 4 months to arrive... Lets hope its not the end of the game for SOS and Dean sorts his crap out. In the meantime I am looking for alternative to their Rock formula, which I find are quite midrangy and have really nice "snap" to it... Any suggestions?

wow - $25/set for pyramids - they better play by themselves! i've been happy w/ ghs boomers - consistent, readily available and about $5

I've been using D'addarios for years. Maybe I'm missing out on something? Hmmm.....I don't know. I see a big difference in sounds for strings for acoustic, but for electric, I'm not sure it's going to make too much difference. As long as they stay in tune, it's ok for me.

I used Ernie Ball when I first started, now D'addarios. Honestly, the only reason I use the D'addarios is the so called "environmentally friendly" packaging, but who knows if that makes any difference either.

Sucks about the Snake Oil, I've heard similar complaints over at the Gear Page over the last year or so.

It's not just TGP. I've read about chronic problems with SOS at pretty much every forum I visit. I was wondering when we'd have some experience with them here.

Someone on TGP wanted to order a set of Snake Oil Strings to simply see how long it would take for him to receive his order. I've searched for the thread but it has mysteriously gone missing... :ph34r::ph34r:

Someone on TGP wanted to order a set of Snake Oil Strings to simply see how long it would take for him to receive his order. I've searched for the thread but it has mysteriously gone missing... :ph34r::ph34r:

Interesting. Must be a sponsor.

Interesting. Must be a sponsor.

They don't have sponsors over there but Dean used to post there all the time years ago (Pinkstrat). It looks like he hasn't posted since last year though....

For the life of me I can't understand why some manufacturers who run into delivery problems don't just communicate to their customers instead of leaving them in the dark. If you don't know when something's going to ship at least explain that and offer a refund. To simply not respond when someone has an inquiry on their order is suicide.... might as well close the doors now.

I guess I didn't mean "sponsor" in the actual sense. I think "shill" is the appropriate term...

:ph34r:

I totally agree though about the communication thing. If that's your business, even if you are too ill (always seems to happen with these little guys, oddly enough - hmmmm...) you MUST have somebody handling emails and phone messages. Even a canned response, periodically updated, is better than the black hole.

That's what kills those businesses quicker than a chambered Gustavsson! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

That's what kills those businesses quicker than a chambered Gustavsson! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Speaking of which, did you see the BM that sold for less than $9K on TGP yesterday?? The current owners of those guitars must be steamin'!!

Archived