Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rant and warning - Snake Oil Strings

Never used Snake Oil strings. I have been using D'Addarios for years. Mostly their pure nickel.

I once purchased 6 sets of strings - Fender, Ernie Ball, GLS, Santana Signature (those were not bad) etc... and put them all on the same guitar in one day and played them all.

D'Addario pure nickel felt the best to me. Also recently tried SIT which feel similar to D'Addario.

However, recently I got a guitar from Rico Jr that had the best feeling strings on it that I had ever played. I called him to ask him what they were and he told me D'Aquisto. So I ordered 10 sets of them recently.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I didn't mean "sponsor" in the actual sense. I think "shill" is the appropriate term...

:ph34r:

I totally agree though about the communication thing. If that's your business, even if you are too ill (always seems to happen with these little guys, oddly enough - hmmmm...) you MUST have somebody handling emails and phone messages. Even a canned response, periodically updated, is better than the black hole.

That's what kills those businesses quicker than a chambered Gustavsson! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Have you, or anybody you know, tried a Gustavsson? I'm wondering how much is hype, and how much is accurate.

I think last time I looked, there was like a 2 year wait for them, and used I've seen for sale ads I think in the neighbourhood of I think it was 8 grand, or maybe it was as high as 10 grand.

Besides from archtop jazz guitars, I don't think I've ever seen a new guitar selling for that much. (except the stupid Fender reissues, ie Blackie, Van Halen's strat, whatever, the "collectible guitars".

Have you, or anybody you know, tried a Gustavsson? I'm wondering how much is hype, and how much is accurate.

I think last time I looked, there was like a 2 year wait for them, and used I've seen for sale ads I think in the neighbourhood of I think it was 8 grand, or maybe it was as high as 10 grand.

Unlike many who posted on that thread, I actually HAVE played a Gustavsson. In fact, I've played two of them. Really did nothing for me - I was expecting the angels to start singing or something. Nope.

They are really nice guitars, but there is no way they are that much better than any other boutique-type guitar in that $3-$4k price range (Thorn, Huber, Schroeder, Baker, etc). The biggest factor (IMO) is the D.A.G. and TGP usual suspects shillster hype - that somehow adds $10k to the mystique, and a lot of sheep just hopped on board. I've also played several original '58-'60 'Bursts in my day. They are certainly not the same animal...

Sorry to hear about the issues with the SOS strings. I have had dealings with Dean early on when he first started out the SOS strings, and delivery was relatively quick...but I guess supply and demand on a handmade string tooks it's toll on delivery. Dean however was a great guy to deal with...I haven't seen him post anywhere in a while.

I did also use Pyramids, and they are very comparable (las a long and keep tune well) but at that $, they had better.

Then I decided to move away from the high $ strings...I have quite a few guits, and didn't think it would be smart to spend that kinda moolah (unless I was recording) on a set of strings, or have to mail order my strings, when there is a GC down the block...so switched to DR Pure Blues, which is a good string for the money (IMO) and readily available.

Guess I'm not a total corksniffer! :ph34r:

I gave up on the SOS; if I email and get no reply, it's sayanora time.

Love DR blues, except the B string never stays in tune.

Tombo, on another SOS thread, suggested SIT (Stay In Tune) Powerwound strings. Got a couple of sets and like them. Sound really good and do indeed stay in tune, :ph34r:

The guys that sell them actually make them; not rebranded. Plus they're priced like D'Addarios.

That sux. I really like them. I can get 6 months out of a set, and that is with regular rehersals and gigs. No way I can get that out of a set of EB or D'Addario. I also agree with Badger about their tone...IMHO they just sound better, especially the rock formula on my Huber Redwood. That absolutely blows.

Yeah, I'm done with the DB too...good strings, but not worth the aggravation to me. In this day and age there is just no excuse for that kind of customer service.

The D'Addario Pure Nickels are really good, though hard to find. Super Bullets are good, and actually the Gibson Vintage nickel strings are really good too. Curt Mangans are my current faves...

This is too bad....I wish this thread would have been started about a week and a half ago, before I placed an order with them. I've never tried these strings, but they were highly recommended to me by a friend. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should ride it out or contact the CC company and cancel the the charges. It's only in the $50 range, but still.

That sux. I really like them. I can get 6 months out of a set, and that is with regular rehersals and gigs. No way I can get that out of a set of EB or D'Addario. I also agree with Badger about their tone...IMHO they just sound better, especially the rock formula on my Huber Redwood. That absolutely blows.

.....uh ...6 months?!??!?!? is that right?

I can't get more than 2 weeks out of anything other than the coated strings (elixir etc...). and even those I have to change after 3...

Wow. I can't imagine not changing strings for 6 months. How does he do it?

BillW - I am using Rock Formula on all my humbucker guitars, and must say you CAN use them for waaaaay longer than anyone can imagine, and they hold tuning well. But with the time tone degrades, and to me best indication that its time to change them when harmonics get too weak... However if you are not tone purist and can live without harmonics (or with half dead harmonics) - yes, they have amazing long life. Actually I don't remember when I broke snake oil string. And just remembered that on my Diablo I have them for over half year (but this is my home player, no sweaty gigs).

Dean is local to me and I have met him on several occasions. I'll look into it and see if his health is holding up. I know he has some serious issues but I haven't heard anything about a downturn.

• 1 month later...

Was your credit card charged?

BadgerDave, did you ever get your strings?

Was your credit card charged?

I paid with PayPal (linked to a checking account), so he received payment immediately.

For me, this is just a fun experiment anyway.

Your post about ordering was on April 15. It is now May 17. I guess that proves there is a problem.

BadgerDave, did you ever get your strings?

No.

My credit card was charged in November. I've inquired many times, nver got a response, no strings.

Archived