Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rant and warning - Snake Oil Strings

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using SOB strings for a while even though I have access to less expensive but good strings. I primarily use the SOB b/c they do last for quite awhile (multiple gigs and practices), stay in tune well and generally don't break (though there was a batch a couple of years ago that popped like firecrackers- they replaced those for me).

I've always had to wait a month or so for them but expected that from this company. I ordered some strings (10 packs) 3 weeks ago and have been told that mine are shipping early this week.

It does seem like some folks are left hanging w/o their strings for quite some time which would be annoying . I've heard that SOB is increasing production to decrease delays but we'll have to see if that is the case.

I hope it is sorted out b/c they are really good strings. I've used Thomastik , DR's, D'addario's, Fenders, SIT, Mangans, Gibson, webstrings and some others that escape my feeble brain at this time.

I primarily use the SOB b/c they do last for quite awhile (multiple gigs and practices), stay in tune well and generally don't break....

I get the same thing from T-I PowerBrites.

I primarily use the SOB b/c they do last for quite awhile (multiple gigs and practices), stay in tune well and generally don't break....

The Thomastik are good strings

The Thomastik are good strings

+1. Really digging the Blues Sliders right now.

Not sure if this will piss you off or give you hope. Either way, there's no way in hell I'd deal with this guy:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/15...l-business.html

Not sure if this will piss you off or give you hope. Either way, there's no way in hell I'd deal with this guy:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/15...l-business.html

I don't get any hope from that thread. It seems that people may have had some better luck when they called up their credit card companies and demanded a chargeback since numbnuts wasn't shipping out the strings.

I only half-blame Dean since people read the horrible service that he provides, yet continue to order his strings.

Nick - the problem is that strings are really good and price is good too...

Hi Dainius,

I had ordered from SOS as well...about 2 years ago or something like that. I found the price to be much higher than your average D'Addario, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball, etc...If I remember correctly, I paid about $12 per pack. I did receive them relatively quick, within a couple of weeks. I found that they had a nice feel, felt looser than my usual brand of strings but I did break the high E or G string (don't remember which one) on 2 or 3 of the packs that I bought. Just for reference, I never break strings.

The fact that you don't need to change them often is not really an advantage since my strings normally last me 6 months before I need to change them anyway. Then again, I don't play shows on a weekly basis either.

Bluesbuster (Ted) had sent me a couple of sets of the DR Blues when I purchased a pickguard from him (what a dude! :lol: )and they played exactly like the SOS, without the strings breaking and without the ridiculous wait that people are experiencing.

Way too many good options and fantastic service out there before considering a jerk-off like Dean.

Nick

I got hooked on SOSs but couldn't put up with the wait, or potential non-delivery. Was a diehard DR Blues user for a long time, but past couple of years couldn't seem to keep them in tune.

Tombo recommended SIT (Stay In Tune) Powerwound strings. Have been using them for a few months now, and love them.

Plus they are inexpensive. Powerwound $3.50-ish and pure nickel a little over $4 a set.

I got hooked on SOSs but couldn't put up with the wait, or potential non-delivery. Was a diehard DR Blues user for a long time, but past couple of years couldn't seem to keep them in tune.

Tombo recommended SIT (Stay In Tune) Powerwound strings. Have been using them for a few months now, and love them.

Plus they are inexpensive. Powerwound $3.50-ish and pure nickel a little over $4 a set.

There you go! More options @ "I stole it" prices and zero wait!

ok, ok, I can get SIT locally from good dealer, so case closed for me. Still got 4-5 months of SOB stock to use anyway :D

Thanks! :lol:

You're welcome :D

The thing that put the icing on the cake for me is they make -all- their strings in their own facility (Akron, Ohio). Not subject to the random nightmares that seem to come with outsourcing production.

Last I heard, G&L strings their guitars at the factory with SIT. They do everything they say--Stay In Tune, sound good, last long. All for tree-fitty-fo.

If you're thinking about DR Blues, though, consider the TI Blues Sliders. So far the TIs and the Elixirs are the ones that have been worth the extra money in my experience. I haven't tried Pyramid. There are too many really good, premium strings readily available without the masochistic element of dealing with SOS.

If you want a decent prices, responsible ship time, and a wide selection including exotics, try www.juststrings.com/guitar.html. Check out their brand selection of electric strings here.

John Pearse strings stand alone for me on acoustics; I'm tempted to try their electrics. Maybe I'll try these for my little MIK Gretsch archtop with the aftermarket floating pickup (a genuine Gibson Johnny Smith).

If you're thinking about DR Blues, though, consider the TI Blues Sliders. So far the TIs and the Elixirs are the ones that have been worth the extra money in my experience. I haven't tried Pyramid. There are too many really good, premium strings readily available without the masochistic element of dealing with SOS.

+1 on the Blues Sliders. I've found the DRs to vary a bit from set to set, and for me, they don't last very long.

The TIs are great, though i haven't been using them long enough to comment on consistency.

If you want a decent prices, responsible ship time, and a wide selection including exotics, try www.juststrings.com/guitar.html. Check out their brand selection of electric strings here.

Another +1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So has anyone ever received a set of these mythical vaporware strings yet? I was thumbing through the newest PG and noticed the chief designer for SOS, Dean Farley, had the time to write a column about speakers. But no time to send a damn email to customers? :lol:

I finally received my set of strings after e-mailing twice and being 'assured' that the strings were on the way. I finally filed a dispute w/ paypal as the time limit was nearing. The strings were then overnighted to me. It was disappointing that I had to attempt to cancel the order before it was fulfilled as I've not had that kind of trouble before.

Even more interesting- I received a package of strings this week. Evidently this was the batch of strings that I was 'assured' was being sent a month ago. I e-mailed Dean about this and was requested to send them back and he stated that he would reimburse me for shipping. Even after all the other stuff, I had to be honest.

Even though I really like the strings I'm doubtful that I'll order them again unless I hear many positive stories about order fulfillment.

I e-mailed Dean about this and was requested to send them back and he stated that he would reimburse me for shipping. Even after all the other stuff, I had to be honest.

You're a better man than me.

Guest pirateflynn

I e-mailed Dean about this and was requested to send them back and he stated that he would reimburse me for shipping. Even after all the other stuff, I had to be honest.

You're a better man than me.

lol

Archived