Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rant and warning - Snake Oil Strings

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, seriously...wake up and smell the coffee. The dude is a crook and a con artist. Plain and fucking simple. If you really can't see that, I have a lot of land that I need to unload. Real cheap too!

You're probably thinking that there's some work to be done. I can assure you that a couple of gallons of paint and you'll be able to flip this prime location at a killer profit!

I will be paying you with check since I am presently on Business overseas.If satisfied with the mode of payment, Send the following details..

1...Your name that will appear on the check.

2..Your address the check will be sent to(NO P.O BOX)

3...Your telephone number so that I will call you once the check is sent.

I also need to inform you that the check will include an excess fund so Once you cash the check and get the Money,forward the excess funds back to my address.

Will be expecting your reply if you have any questions"

-Austin

• 1 month later...

I got them in the mail and I'm just speechless. I put them on, tuned up, and my '81 sustain block special began to play itself. It warmed up with "Eruption" before tackling Paganini's "Caprice in A minor, Op. 1 No. 24". I had to put it away in it's case before it woke up the kids. I will be purchasing more soon!

...after trying SIT for a month I would say SOB is whole head above :lol:

SITs are stupid good for $3 and change, but they're not top echelon. Is there anyone here who knows how Snake Oil stacks up against the good stuff like Thomastik-Infeld, Black Diamond, La Bella, Elixir, Pyramid, Optima, etc.?

And if some of those are too pricey, I've also found Everly's to be excellent. Black Diamond black coated roundwounds and TI Jazz Flats are clear and away the best bass strings I've ever had, the TI PowerBrites are a match made in heaven for any all-mahogany guitar (works wonders with the Anniversary/Artist Mahogany).

The 52 alloy (mix of iron and nickel) makes for a seductive, warm yet dynamic sound. Several makers offer it and that's probably what I like in the Everly's.

P.S. I am not a DR fan. Their strings are generally OK, sometimes very good, but they don't have the lot-to-lot consistency of some of the others. For QC, D'Addario is probably the champ.

someone please clue me in, what do these snake jizz strings purport to do and are they really worth what seems like an immense hassle???????????

Reading the thread would help.

I don't know what they purport to do, but I know from personal experience that they sound amazing and last a stupid long time. Not too long ago, I was gigging in three different bands and all of my guitars had SOB strings. I could easily get 6 months out of a set. the only reason I would change was to clean and oil the fretboard, the strings were actually still very usable.

Whether it is worth the hassle is entirely up to you, not sure if anyone can answer that question for you.

FWIW The site is down and my guess is that he is out of business.

someone please clue me in, what do these snake jizz strings purport to do and are they really worth what seems like an immense hassle???????????

Reading the thread would help.

I don't know what they purport to do, but I know from personal experience that they sound amazing and last a stupid long time. Not too long ago, I was gigging in three different bands and all of my guitars had SOB strings. I could easily get 6 months out of a set. the only reason I would change was to clean and oil the fretboard, the strings were actually still very usable.

Whether it is worth the hassle is entirely up to you, not sure if anyone can answer that question for you.

FWIW The site is down and my guess is that he is out of business.

read the thread???????????? weird concept...................

I tried the Elixirs and some of the other coated strings because I'm basically lazy and hate to change strings. My analogy on them is that they're like a really good digital modelling amp which gives you 90% of the tone that you'd get from the real tube amp you're emulating. That can work for a while but eventually you miss all the inherent dynamic differences that come out a great tube amp. When I put new strings on my guitar I want it to sound the best it possibly can...unfortunately that normally requires me to hand it to a better player than I who has more tone in their hands. :lol:

...after trying SIT for a month I would say SOB is whole head above :lol:

SITs are stupid good for $3 and change, but they're not top echelon. Is there anyone here who knows how Snake Oil stacks up against the good stuff like Thomastik-Infeld, Black Diamond, La Bella, Elixir, Pyramid, Optima, etc.?

I'm perfectly happy with SITs. Are they as good as the SOBs? Not quite, but closer than any other strings I've tried. Honestly, have just gotten tired of trying different strings, finding the "right" one, only to have them either disappear or change their source/formula. SIT looks like it's gonna be around and they make their strings in their own factory in the US.

I replaced a set of SOB Rock Formula Strings with the SIT PowerWound on a mostly mahogany guitar; they are nickel -plated-. If you're looking for a warmer tone to replace the SOB regular (nickel), then try the Power Groove

to me main difference is this "slinkier" feel, which significantly influence my playing style, as I am big bender, do lots of wide vibrato and "bend, vibrate, pull-off" at the same time trick guy. SOB's "stiff" feel was punishing to my hands in the beggining, but at the ent improved the way I have sounded with all this stuf I do. SIT sounded quite well, and I am waiting for a set of 11s, maybe that will help.

...I know from personal experience that they sound amazing and last a stupid long time. Not too long ago, I was gigging in three different bands and all of my guitars had SOB strings. I could easily get 6 months out of a set. the only reason I would change was to clean and oil the fretboard, the strings were actually still very usable.

Given the combination of tone and longevity, I suspect that cryogenic treatment was part of SOB's process. I'll bet that if you picked your favorite string formula and had them cryogenically treated, you'd get similar improvements in tone and longevity.

Cryogenics International will cryogenically treat small lots for private clients for a (presumably) reasonable price. If it strengthens knife blades, gun barrels, and cymbals, why not steel/nickel/iron strings? I've used Dean Markley Blue Steel cryo-treated strings in the past, and while I wasn't enamored of the sound (they're stainless), they sure were resilient, held tune extraordinarily well, and lasted a long time.

I've used Dean Markley Blue Steel cryo-treated strings in the past, and while I wasn't enamored of the sound (they're stainless), they sure were resilient, held tune extraordinarily well, and lasted a long time.

+1...I wish someone would try this cryogenics stuff on a smoother-feeling nickel plated string...after using dean markleys for years and years I started using other stuff this year and felt like I'd been playing hacksaw blades on my guitars...

I've used Dean Markley Blue Steel cryo-treated strings in the past, and while I wasn't enamored of the sound (they're stainless), they sure were resilient, held tune extraordinarily well, and lasted a long time.

+1...I wish someone would try this cryogenics stuff on a smoother-feeling nickel plated string...after using dean markleys for years and years I started using other stuff this year and felt like I'd been playing hacksaw blades on my guitars...

Yeah, same experience here w/the Blue Steels.

Get some nice 52 alloy or pure nickel wrap string sets and get them cryogenically treated.

Archived