Hamer Fan Club Message Center

There has to be a story with this one

No affiliation:

eBay Sunburst

Anyone know this seller? He seems to have had quite a bit of Hamer stuff (relatively speaking) of late.

Hmm...with that many mods, I predict that will be a low price. Could be a good one to get if the mods don't bug you. Look at all the mini switches, must be a lot of pup combinations to chose from. The bridge looks pretty clunky.

Oh well, bet it sounds really cool.

I threw a (low) bid on it. Maybe it can be saved........

Do you think it would be pricey to bring it closer to stock?

I threw a (low) bid on it. Maybe it can be saved........

Do you think it would be pricey to bring it closer to stock?

Yes.

You know, he says, "There is no s/n that I can find," but isn't the serial number visible in the headstock photo: 8 0458?

Edited to add: Mathman beat me to it!

But what is up with that bridge? Back looks like it was originally a sustain block. I suppose the holes for that are underneath.

Repair list: 1. remove middle pickup, fill route, fill bridge stud holes, fill four toggle holes, new veneer for top, refinish top. Greg or Roy, any estimates? After some of the stuff I've seen you guys do, this should be a cinch!

He says he can't find the serial number but you can almost see it in his pictures.

Look like 8 4 or 8 7 to start.

The s/n I come up with is 8 1758.

But then, my eyes are old. :rolleyes:

I've got a better monitor at home. I'll check it out there later, maybe I'll be able to tell better.

On another note, are those GOLD tuners? Add that to the repair list... oh yeah, I forgot in the earlier post, + new sustain block bridge...

For the right price that guitar could be restored to a point. The bridge could be replaced with a sustain block and the middle pickup could stay. Somebody needs to get it and play the crap out of it!

The seller refuses to accept information about the Chaparral that he has for sale.

Any guitar that is that heavily modded, questionable seller (pleads ignorance to escape liability) and the fact that the picture shows no strings on the guitar will keep me miles away from that one.

EBay sellers trying to sell a guitar should at least put the strings on it. Not doing that leads me to believe that there are deeper issues than the mods alone.

Any guitar that is that heavily modded, questionable seller (pleads ignorance to escape liability) and the fact that the picture shows no strings on the guitar will keep me miles away from that one.

EBay sellers trying to sell a guitar should at least put the strings on it. Not doing that leads me to believe that there are deeper issues than the mods alone.

VEry good point. If this is indeed a '78 that would mean a one-piece neck, right? Could there be issues? My real estate appraisers used to use the term 'latent defects' as a catch all. Of course, this is all conjecture. Could be a great guitar.

ETA: Okay, I couldn't help myself. I just emailed him asking about the neck and whether or not he'd had strings on it.

The bridge is a B.C. Rich Quad bridge.

It's ironic that i was looking for one of those for about 4 months, and now that i have one, they're coming out of the woodwork...

If it makes any difference, that bridge is worth $75 to $150, depending on the condition, and whether or not you can find a buyer restoring a B.C, Rich... :rolleyes: LOL

Overall, it's a shame, 'cause that guitar looks like it was a killer. Nice top.

I'm tempted to bid, but as there are others here interested, i'm out. Professional courtesy and all... :D

A friend of mine was considering buying a guitar at the last Dallas guitar show. He really wanted to buy it and asked me what I thought of the guitar. The guitar was missing the high E string, and the A string was a flat wound. I told him I wouldn't buy it - any time I see a guitar that has such a weird assortment of easily fixable things wrong with it sets off an alarm with me. It's kinda like the seller is trying to disguise deeper issues!

I didn't read all the post, but thats not an Archtop? I'm trying to get a new Hamer, I couldn't handle someone throwing out an Vintage Hamer Archtop.. :rolleyes:

Compare the bridge locations between Greg's and 'it'. It looks like it's a 1/4" or 3/8" farther back. I know intonation is for pussies, but damn.

Or am I seeing things?

Yep. This guy has had a lot of hamers for sale lately too. Good luck finding a 78 or 79 sustain block. :rolleyes:

There's definitely a story behind that one. I am pretty sure that was owned by Tommy Shaw.

Tommy had signed the pickguard I believe; too bad they removed it.

Really?!??

...hey, wait a second.

Either you really like me, or you really hate me. I'm not sure which it is yet. :rolleyes:

Now he says he can make out the serial number: "With a magnifying glass the serial number looks like 8 0468."

In response to my question, he says: "Yes, there were strings on the guitar and everything looks and feels straight. Guitar feels solid. It appears someone did some modification then got bored." Could be okay.

I am tempted. If the neck really is okay, this could be a killer guitar... I'm just put off by the valid "beware" points made earlier and by the seller's 97.6% approval rating. Some neutral ratings in there about "item not as described" and "poorly packaged."

Questionable merchandise + questionable seller seems... questionable.

Archived