Hamer Fan Club Message Center

There has to be a story with this one

If it helps, think of it like this...

You will have to put at least $350-$400 out to win and get this one delivered (assuming it doesn't go any/much higher than it is now). This is your base, or starting price.

Your options are:

1. Keep it as-is and hope it is a great player. You'll live with the mods.

2. Restore it, top-to-bottom and hope it is a great player. You're willing to put out significant $$ to get it where you want it.

Assuming you go with option #2, let's take some of the initial costs you'll have to consider (assuming you aren't doing these yourself):

Replacing the bridge:

-minimum of $150 for a repro Sustainblock, probably more. If you are able to track down an original, it'll cost you considerably more.

-paying a luthier to plug the stop holes and do a finish blend/match, redrill the through-body holes and install the bridge (possibly set up too) - expect to pay $150 if your luthier works on the cheap, possibly double that for what a normal shop charges. Add at least $30 extra for a proper setup.

- paying a luthier to plug the mini toggle holes, do a finish blend/match - you're probably looking at another $100-$150 minimum, as sunburst finishes are going to be tougher to blend/match than an opaque finish.

- assuming you can live with the pickguard imprint, you do nothing there. If you want to get rid of that, you'll have to refinish the top, at a minimum. That'll be at least another $200, assuming that's all you want to do.

- Since that guitar doesn't come with strings, and assuming that they aren't included in the set up charge, add $5-$10, for your brand of choice. (The seller has indicated that strings are NOT included)

Let's be rational about this...

Best case scenario, you're looking at outlaying close to $900 to $1,000, just to get it to presentable condition, and all the while you're HOPING that it is even playable. This assumes that your winning bid is close to where the auction is at this time (@$350).

Since you'd be within striking distance of a fully-functional Sunburst at this point, and also consider that your investment in this particular guitar will NEVER be realized upon resale, does this look like an appealing project?

I know where I'd stand on this one, but use your own judgment. You may get off lighter on this one, but my strong suspicion is that you'll easily sink $1,000 in a guitar you can't sell for anywhere near that.

Just a thought...

nbc_the_more_you_know[1].jpg

Yeah, that's pretty much why I quit where I did. I have some of the parts laying around, but just how AFU is everything? The neck is the scariest part.

Unless you can do it yourself (AND know what you're doing), it would get pretty spendy.

Unless you can just live with the mods. The only thing that would really bug me would be the bridge.

Oh yeah...

I forgot to add option 3:

Buy guitar, hopefully for @ $350, no more than $400, shipped.

Don't care if it's playable or not, because you're going to now strip it and part it out on eBay.

-Sell bridge for $50-$75, if you can find a buyer.

-Assuming neck and bridge pickups are original to the guitar, sell the pair for $150-$200 (depending on condition, assumed functionality, etc.)

- if the pots are original (and functioning), sell set w/toggle switch for @ $50 (+/-)

- Sell tuners for $50-$75, depending on if they are of 70s/early 80s vintage. If not, cut expectations by 1/3 to 1/2.

- Sell hulk of body, likely f-d up neck to some sucker on eBay for $150-$250, depending on if there's a full moon or not.

- Sell back plate to a UK buyer for $70 + shipping (again, full moon required).

- Sell case (assuming it hasn't had cats who smoke heavily living in it, and is in otherwise decent original shape) for $75, since it is missing the handle.

If the price doesn't go any higher, you may be able to break even this way. There is even that "full moon" chance that you'll make $50-$100 on the deal too.

Determine if your time is worth that little, and by all means, be my guest!

I'm still keeping an eye on that Scarab but doubt I'll bid. I keep wondering if there's anything wrong with it after seeing his other two Hamers for sale.....

I've always wanted a Scarab but I won't be bidding.

Archived