Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer DC Restoration Underway w/Pics 7-14

SG Lou

Question

Hello Gents

A couple of years ago I signed on to get some info on an early Hamer I accquired. Well i'm finally getting around to doing this and I wanted some input from the Hamer pro's.

Lemme know what you guys think. Any and all suggestions are welcome !

Being the number of pictures allowed are limited I'll post the link to the ReRanch Forum thread.

http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?p=304349#304349

As of Today I have routed the FB edge for binding and I have routed the FB for the Trap inlays.

I will need some help on a certain issue. When i milled off the top, like an IDIOT i forgot to make a template

of the cavity and the position of the holes for the 3 pots and switch.

Would any of you have this ?

Thanks for your help !

..Lou

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamer-a.jpgHamer-b.jpg

Hamer-c.jpgHamer01.jpg

Hamer02.jpg

Hamer03.jpg

Hamer04.jpg

Hamer05.jpg

Hamer06.jpg

Hamer10.jpg

Hamer11.jpg

Hamer13.jpg

Hamer13.jpg

Hamer15.jpg

Hamer16-1.jpg

Hamer17-1.jpg

Hamer18-1.jpg

Hamer19-1.jpg

Chris, Thanks for posting the pics !

I managed to get the neck inlayed and of all places I did it in work on the night shift . Brought all of the supplies with me, routed the F/B one night and than the following night I inlayed the pearl.

Hamer29.jpg

Hamer31.jpg

Hamer30.jpg

This past weekend I fretted and bound the body and neck.

Hamer32.jpg

Hamer33.jpg

Hamer34.jpg

Hamer35.jpg

Hamer37.jpg

Now its time to scrape some binding !

Sweet.........!

Thanks Guys,

I know it's not a 100% OEM Restoration but it will look 100 times better than what it looked like when i got it !

Well its ready for finish work.

I got the binding on both the neck and body done.

What a B*tch it is to do binding nubs for the fret ends but i got it down to doing both sides in about 1 1/2 hours.

Hamer38.jpg

Hamer39.jpg

Hamer40.jpg

Its finish sanded and I wiped some Naphtha on the top to see what the flame is gonna look like.

Hamer41.jpg

Hamer42.jpg

I'll grain fill the body first and seal it before I get started on the top !

I'm going to need some HELP from any of you members here.

I my haste of milling off the top I forgot to make a template so I can redrill the holes for the pots and switch!

Whats the chances of anyone having a guitar apart that can make me a template of the inside of the cavity with the holes?

I'd glady flip ya a few bucks for your trouble !

Whats the chances of anyone having a guitar apart that can make me a template of the inside of the cavity with the holes?

I'd glady flip ya a few bucks for your trouble !

I have an old Blitz that's apart, anyone know if aside from not being parallel to the center line if it's the same as the Sunburst layout. If so Lou I'll get that to you with the logo.

I know this is probably a dumb question but isn't the original control cavity still there? Can't you drill the controls out from the back side through the original holes? I guess I haven't seen the back in the pics yet. Looks great so far!

I know this is probably a dumb question but isn't the original control cavity still there? Can't you drill the controls out from the back side through the original holes? I guess I haven't seen the back in the pics yet. Looks great so far!

Not a dumb question at all Jason. I would if the original holes were still there. Who ever owned this before me decided to sand the top veneer off and did it very badly !

I had to mill so much off that i lost the entire top of the cavity.

Take a look:

Hamer01.jpg

This is why I was asking for the help.

So what's the story with the pointy guitars in the background? :blink:

Ah yes, the Pointy Guitars...LOL

Well the Vee on the left was gonna be a Randy Rhodes Polka Dot V.

But........ you can't use a Strat style Trem on any guitar that has a 3 degree neck angle.

Thats the way I got it and I can't do anything with it so i'm gonna save the neck ( Its an actual Gibson neck )

and i'll use the body for firewood !

The Shark Fin Vee template you see hanging I made for a custom vee style guitar that I was comissioned to build.

This is the finished Guitar with it's new owner who drove up from Maryland to pick it up:

P7060003.jpg

The build pictures are here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v123/bru...brid/?start=all

And the SG clone on the right is something I'll get to somewhere down the road

Did Tony help you at all?

Not at all..........He just stands around and watches me work. B)

As you can tell by my screen name I'm not only a big SG fan ( own 7 of them ) I'm also a huge Iommi /Sabbath fan.

I had to pleasure to meet both Tony and Geezer a couple of years ago and have since been backstage at every show they have done in the NY/NJ area.

I'm friends with Tony's Guitar Tech Mike Clement so that how I get backstage passes all the time.

The very first time I got back stage with the help of Mike was to show and get Tony's approval on a replica I made of his first SG he used in the early years. Geezer came into Tony's dressing room a short while later and I we shot the bull for almost an hour !

I got the whole story here on my web site:

http://www.freewebs.com/stmoritzguitars/meandtonyiommi.htm

Guys, Can anyone steer me in the right direction on a few of questions?

First, What is / was the proper tuning keys that came stock on my Hamer?

I seen some photo's and to me they looked like Grover Rotomatics.

Are they full sized Grovers or Mini's?

Second,

String Ferrules, Top Mount or Flush Mount , Chrome or Nickel ?

Third.

Barrel Jack.

Would this one do?

http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-...000,Product.asp

Side note: I stopped by my buds Music Shop and took the cavity cover off of a new Hamer and it's an exact fit on mine so I drew an outline of it so I can make a cover.

( I know thats not exciting news but at least one hurdle has been delt with ! :D )

Original tuners would have been Schallers on that one.

There are also a few places to get the Black Aluminum control cavity covers that Hamer uses, including directly from Hamer. They aren't that expensive, actually.

Original tuners would have been Schallers on that one.

There are also a few places to get the Black Aluminum control cavity covers that Hamer uses, including directly from Hamer. They aren't that expensive, actually.

Unless you have the material laying around, its cheaper just to get it from Hamer.

Just jonesin' here for some more update photos/progress report... Looks great so far...!

Archived