Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Axis vs. Wolfgang

Axis vs. Wolfgang  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've owned both. I've had an axis super sport and 2 different peaveys. Both peaveys were USA's. One was a custom shop that was fantastic. Both companies make excellent guitars. I'd be happy with either. I'd give the edge to EBMM due to they are a smaller shop and their customer service incredible.

Armitage_Ernie_Ball_Music_Man_Axis.jpg

I've got an Axis... and while it's a beauty.... it's not one of my fave guitars by a long shot. I've never played the Peavey version so I can't comment on it.

P.S. Peavey customer service incredible too. They chased down nearly twenty year old Vandenberg parts for me, and sent them no charge.

I have owned Music Man insturments and never had questions about the quality. I also worked in a store that sold both Music Man and Peavey, stocking EBMM EVH and Axis guitars and a couple of Peavey Wolfgangs.

Music Man worked hard to get the EVH endorsement, and they made his guitar his way. Some customers complained about the string spacing and pulling the high E string off the edge of the fretboard. After parting ways with EVH, Music Man made a couple of slight changes. One was the string spacing, and I think they may have made the neck wider by 1/32" or something you could barely feel. It may have only been on one end of the neck. To me the Axis feels like a Music Man that is consistent with other guitars in the line. Some people find their necks smallish, but that may be just a weird perception.

The Peavey Wolfgangs I tried were a couple of carved tops and a flat faced model. The raw feel of the neck was not the same as the raw feel of the Music Man, but the carve seemed very close. The finish was somehow not the same, and I think the Music Man had the better finish. Peaveys have the D-tuner that were not on the Music Man version.

Maybe this question is better suited for another forum, but I'm interested in anyone's opinion of the Music Man Axis and the Peavey Wolfgang. Thanks.

The original EVH Ernie Ball Music Man. I have owned two, still have one. It is my go to guitar... But I have to admit, the Axis is as good and cheaper than the EVH...

After Eddie left, Ernie Ball Music Man modified the EVH design by moving the pickup selector from the lower horn to a more conventional position below the volume control (everyone hated where Eddie had liked it), they added some slight comfort contouring to the back edge of the guitar, and widened the neck by 1/32 of an inch at the body end to help keep the high E string from slipping off the fretboard while playing above the heel. Oh, and the knob now says Volume, it used to say Tone (it was an inside joke - it's always been a volume knob).... Other than that, the Axis is essentially unchanged from the original Eddie spec.

Voted Wolfie. Aside from the carve top, the Wolfie has a flatter radius and a wider neck. I was never really a fan of where they repositioned the Axis pickup switch. Finding a great Wolfie is tough; after going thru a couple flametop dogs I found this patent pending Goldtop. Bizarre neck figure on this one too plus it's very stable. It f'n owns...sold the Axis.

wolfgang_front2.jpg

wolfgang_neck.jpg

I didn't vote because I've never played an EBMM EVH/Axis. But, I did own a Wolfgang for a while. I had the flat maple topped Special, which was more like the EBMM than the arch top Wolf Standard.

Anyway, it was an absolutely killer guitar and I only sold it to fund my 78 Sunburst. I would like to get another one someday, along with an EVH/Axis if I try one and like it.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've heard just as many people prefer the Wolfgangs as I have the EBMMs. Try them both and grab which one grabs you. Let the name on the headstock be damned.

Archived