Hamer Fan Club Message Center

most inaccurately named pickup

Guest teefus2

Guest teefus2

bought one only after reading up on it on the net. based on the name it is probably the last pickup i would want. turns out is is a low output (5k or so) bucker that doesn't muddy up when the volume knob is tweaked down. well, it sounds fantastic in my artist korina hb and works well with the pearly gates bridge.

The HFH was DiMarzio's first attempt at capturing a single coil sound in a humbucker. In talking to a DiMarzio rep, they are kind of downplaying it in favor of the Bluesbucker, which they say 'sounds like a P-90.' I tried one, and it doesn't.

If you compare the two on the DiMarzio website, the HFH has a more pronouced treble spike, whereas the BB has more midrange. The BB doesn't have enough mids to rival a P-90 but it is a passable single coil substitute.

"Humbucker From Heck" would sound like a more appropriate name. It sounds gosh darn pleasant.

From your descriptions it sounds like DiMarzio's HBFH is an attempt to sound like the Duncan Jazz, which has medium output, better-than-average clarity, extended treble, and tonally rides the fence between a humbucker and a SC. Sort of like a juiced up mini-bucker with more bottom end.

HFH is a great neck pup IMFO, had 'em in a LP, as well as the 25th annv i sold to teleman. prolly my 2nd choice for a neck pup (after a phatcat).

also had a duncan jazz neck pup in a few guitars, maybe my 3rd choice.

but yeah, "humbucker from hell" sounds like a dimebag reference, makes ya think it should sound all high gainy, but it doesn't. hmmm.

I always thought the Duncan Distortion was the most inaccurately named pickup. ;)

The Duncan Screamin' Demon is anything but "screamin." It's lower output than a '59, but does add a nice growl to some amps. It's a great pickup, but shoulda been named "The George Lynch-Before-I-Juiced-Up-And-Did-Roids" humbucker. I guess that woulda been a little long to put on the box that comes with the pickup.

What tombo said. I'm the biggest George Lynch fan you'll find on the HFC, but the Screamin' Demon sounds like Soaprah Oprah to me.

Tried 'em in a variety of guitars and I'm convinced I could shit on a magnet and get better tone.

Then again, I'm a JB fan, so take it for what it's worth.

That would make complete sense, tobe...the lowmid whudthud of the SD would probably balance nice with the glassiness of the 12ver's octave strings and make for more balanced of a sound between the strings.

Just don't move it down to the bottom neck! Shittone!

Archived