Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ultimate Top Appreciation Thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW - an Artist with a trem!

I have never seen that before...how do/did you like it?

It's very nice! Sounds like an Artist, but has a trem. In other words, the trem justs add versatility, it doesn't seem to take away anything tone-wise. I might replace the Wilky trem with a Gotoh 510TS-FE2, but that would just be for looks/feel reasons.

-Austin

Couple questions;

Did they do "Ultimate" tops back in the early 90's, or when did that designation first appear? When they started issuing certs? My '91 Sunburst Archtop has a top that is a real gem, but did they label them as such or were they all just that killer back in the day?

Is there a name for the thin, vertical striping in the Maple that typically intersects the "flame" portion at 90 degrees? (see the squiggles in ArnieZ's quilt pattern for a good example) Are those the actual "rings" in the tree or what are we seeing there? That is often equally interesting to my simple mind and the Hamers seem to feature that more prominently than other makes.

What is your street address, Austin, and what hours are you generally not at home? Do you have a dog, and if so, how much does he/she weigh? :lol:

Couple comments;

Hamer has consistently stunned me with they woods the use in their guitars. Tops, backs, fingerboards, they all seem to be a cut above. Whoever as been in charge of selecting lumber needs a huge "attaboy!".

The quilt on ArnieZ's piece has a hypnotic/hallucinogenic effect on me. I could stare at that thing endlessly and never get bored. It must be a sight to behold in person, maybe like looking into the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction" - do you display it or keep it tucked away?

I want Austin's Orange Artist. Badly. Desperately.

Z

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder when it comes to ultimate tops. I've seen (and owned) Hamers with "regular" tops that were better than most ultimates I've seen and I owned one with an ultimate top that was less than spectacular.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder when it comes to ultimate tops. I've seen (and owned) Hamers with "regular" tops that were better than most ultimates I've seen and I owned one with an ultimate top that was less than spectacular.

True. Much like PRS 10 tops. Except I believe PRS has a stated criteria they use for judging tops and I don't believe Hamer does?

-Austin

I have to say I like the Victory Inlays better than Crowns. :lol:

I agree with you!

The Studio on the right (no longer in my possession) was ordered with an ultimate top, according to the previous owner. I had no reason to doubt that.

071708009.jpg

Like Dave, I've seen a couple that made me wonder where the dividing line was. They were never less than great, but I suppose it just depends on the wood they have on hand and what the supply chain in general is like.

Despite it all, I spec'ed an Ultimate top on my last one, especially because it was going under Indigo which will tend to obscure the grain since it's so dark. I have to say, though, that it came out very well, especially considering the big ol' slab that it is.

Pic courtesy of BCR Greg.

BlueStandardTomBodyResized.jpg

These are all so sweet! I've been working on a "New Hamer" but things aren't working as planned so I may change to an Ultimate Top instead of what I was going to do. Still can't decided on Color nor a Model. So far that Trans Blue Quilt, or Ocean Burst Quilt is really doing it for me. I have one burst in mind that has been a fave of mine popular on LPs but not many, if any Hamers. Well keep them coming. :lol::lol:

Couple questions;

Is there a name for the thin, vertical striping in the Maple that typically intersects the "flame" portion at 90 degrees? (see the squiggles in ArnieZ's quilt pattern for a good example) Are those the actual "rings" in the tree or what are we seeing there? That is often equally interesting to my simple mind and the Hamers seem to feature that more prominently than other makes.

The vertical grain is usually referred to as cross grain and it certainly adds to the character of the top!

The quilt on ArnieZ's piece has a hypnotic/hallucinogenic effect on me. I could stare at that thing endlessly and never get bored. It must be a sight to behold in person, maybe like looking into the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction" - do you display it or keep it tucked away?

That guitar is usually out, I bought it to play and it is always in rotation. I don't gig and my "music room" isn't frequently visited by anyone else who'd get excited by it. Even after owning it for almost 6 years I still find it interesting to look at. It is a beuatiful piece of craftsmanship and it also has my favorite neck!

ArnieZ

Z

Archived