Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1-piece body Korina Standard

To paraphrase Jimmy Carter, "I've looked on many guitars with lust." Submitted for your approval: one-piece body and brazilian RW fingerboard. Rrrrrowr. I'd bastardize it immediately by slapping a pickguard on it.

554065-1.jpg

Agreed that those guitars look like ass (the natural ones) w/o a guard. MY opinion only. That guitar would look great with that trim, but I'd never pay a premium for Braz board or a single piece body on a Hamer. I sure as hell can't hear the difference, so frankly it means little or nothing to me. I actually prefer the look of most of the non-Brazilian boards that they use over the Braz boards.

Now if it had M&M capacitors...

:)

I agree only on one thing...why spend that much moolah for that mucho guitarro and then have them plunk in a pair of run-of-the-mill Seymours?

I'm gonna go for a set of Häussel Classics (PAF clones) or Fralins in mine.

Putting cheap / ordinary puppies in expensive guitars really makes no sense whatsoever IMHO.

JJ Paul

:)

I own one of these 4 guitars this is the only thing i bought from Willcutt... decent price... plays nice.... sits in my anvil to procect the finish... i like the way it plays.. sounds good.... while i do not agree withthe pick gaurd( if you scratch the body while pickin you need some serious help in learning how to pick.. its one thing to play its another to get happy and tear off yer finish hehe) i do agree it should have been bound....othern that its beautiful and will never be sold no matter what desperation im in...

my 2cents

Sir Douglas :)

Randy :)

I actually prefer the look of most of the non-Brazilian boards that they use over the Braz boards.

Thank you The Braz boards do nothing for me either. Other than the mystique of brazilian rosewood I not so sure you can hear the difference of the fingerboard on a solid body guitar. not to mention visually they are streaky looking. +1 on the look of the guitar too.

Meantime I beg to differ with Serial Steve, I love my Korina Dean without a guard.    

Gene the big difference between your dean in and the Hamer is the dean has the binding, cream pickup rings with gold knobs and those little details make all the diffference visually between the two. Also the Flying V string retainer helps break up the expanse of blond wood.

But If you mus have a one piece check out Phoenix's for sale items I believe he has a one piece Korina Standard that is for sale.

I'd bastardize it immediately by slapping a pickguard on it.

Don't forget the Floyd and locking nut!

That Hamer is SWEET!!!!!! Oh Man someday.... Meantime I beg to differ with Serial Steve, I love my Korina Dean without a guard. :):):):)

12kz.jpg

I think the Dean looks a lot better than the Hamer. With the cream parts, amber knobs and binding, it doesn't need a pickguard. Great looker.

One piece Korina Standards (Explorers) are not about functionality. To say there is a difference in sound is like saying a person can tell the difference between a two piece Strat and a three piece Strat body (soundwise). IMO it is all about collectibility. As far as I know, the original Gibsons Explorers were one piece. There are VERY FEW big pieces of clean Korina out there(the real stuff Gibson used not that marketing BS Black Korina/Black Limba other builders tout- Black Limba was the stuff I threw in the garbage). Head count on one piece Korina Standard owners...........

Here's a shot of one from HFC7. I was going to order one on my watson after seeing the stuff in person, but the upcharge wasn't worth it for just a cosmetic thing. I agree only someone with super-hearing would be able to tell you there's a difference.

100_0858.jpg

Yup, that's the fretboard and neck which are now attached to my Standard. It has gotten a little darker from playing. I love the way Braz looks and feels. Does it sound different or better? Not to my ears. Is it worth the upcharge? No comment. I know in combo with a korina body and a maple cap, it sounds great. I have got Braz on the Standard and an Elite which are going to be handed down to my kids, so maybe if Braz "really" is no longer used in 40 years, the guitars may be a little more special.

Archived