Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Can someone fill me in on the Rio Grande pickups?

Still curious about a GenTex and a BBQ in a goldtop Studio Custom, what with the rock maple top and all.

Hey Tom - I think I tried a BBQ in that very guitar and found it too dark and full. Of course everyone's tastes and ears differ, but that's what I recall...

I put a Texas/BBQ pair in a Dean EVO and they were too dark for that guitar. This leads me to believe that they won't sound good in an all mahogany guitar.

I was going to go with Rios in my 82 special because I didn't really care for the stock dimarzios. Greg suggested Voodoo's would be better and this guitar woke up big time.

Guest galejt

I was going to go with Rios in my 82 special because I didn't really care for the stock dimarzios. Greg suggested Voodoo's would be better and this guitar woke up big time.

I did the same thing, same guitar, same source and I find new things to like about them each time I play it.

Jim

I put a Texas/BBQ pair in a Dean EVO and they were too dark for that guitar.  This leads me to believe that they won't sound good in an all mahogany guitar.

YEP! I Ended up putting Voodoo's in the EVO and it was like magic to my ears. ;)

What Voodoos you guys using? I have mostly singlecut guitars and may try a set!

I picked up a zebra pair of Rios at the local shop and was surprised they carried 'em! I'll have 'em installed one day soon - been so busy lately and sick!

Sounds like some feel the C-5 is like the BBQ? Interesting. I have had the C-5 in my LP and found it very nice, smooth ans warm, but bright at times. Nice natural mids and not overbearing.

Guest galejt

[armswaving wildly] Ooo. Ooo. Me, me, me. Call on me! [/armswaving wildly]

60s neck and BCR custom wind bridge. Do I get a gold star?

Call him. 717-730-9775

Wow, I installed the Rios into one of my guitars and they sound THICK and fat! I really like how harmonics jump off the fretboard! Kind of dark at times but I'll have to mess with the EQ to clean it up a bit. They have a lot of sizzle, like a Pearly Gates.

Greg......will you be in the shop on Friday? I want to call about the Vodoo greg wind and how it compares to the Rios. Thanks bro.

• 2 weeks later...
The coolest thing about the Greg spec'd bridge pup is that it sounds friggin awesome with tone rolled all the way off.  Sounds kind of wah-ish.  Try that with your average pickup and it sounds like poo, IMO.

Interesting...I have used pickups as well that do that wah or awl thing when rolled all the way off! the sign of a good pickup that interacts well with the tone pot. The BBQ doesn't do that but still interacts better than the Duncans I've used. If the BBQ did that it would be perfect.

I hear guys say the BBQ/Texas are dark, but as Greg pointed out to me....just adjust the height and the screws and you shuould be able to achieve what you want. The Rios rock and man do they sound huge in the mix with the band! I wish they did that wah/awl sound when rolled off like the Voodoos and others I've tried. But, to be honest.....how often would I use that....well, maybe. :lol:

Bottom line, on 10 - these Rios blow down doors and they still darken up if need be with the tone roll off. :P:rolleyes:

And now for something completely different: Rio Grande BASS pickups. I'm a low-end thumper, and have a couple of basses w/ Rio Grande Powerbuckers, which each look like two Jazz pickups clamped together. The basses happen to have toggle switches (wish they had a pan pot, but can modify if desired), and I've never heard instruments that sound so radically different in each of the three toggle positions. They're extremely potent, warm and fat (even the bridge p/u solo) and suit my style perfectly (I play with a pick, striking near the neck joint, a la Joe Osborne, although he's not an influence). Any further custom-made instruments I order...guitar or bass...will most likely have Rio Grandes.

Hey Birthday HFCers,

I say "Happy Birthday, get busy, get naked, it's your birthday!!" (4x while doing the Cabbage Patch dance) LOL It was my birthday a few days ago so I wanted to wish all of you Aries a "Happy Birthday". So when is my Hamer T-51 coming in the mail as my birthday present? LOL

Guitar George

• 1 month later...

Hello peeps! I was thinking about replacing all my pickups with Rio Grandes! Bad move? I just love the dark warmth of the BBQ/Texas set in anything I use it! Anyone done some looking into the more expensive WCRs and other boutique guys? I tend to have some bright guitars and am thinking that is part of the reason i enjoy the Rios. :D:D

No expert here, but when I asked Greg about the BBQ vs. a Duncan C5, he said that even the Rio Grande guys said they were virtually indistinguishable. I had a C5 handy, so that settled that for the particular guitar in question (StevieDamnClay's otherwise EXTREMELY bright-sounding '98 Phantom Custom).

I ended up selling the Rio's. I prefer the Custom 5.

But each to it's own. Let your ear be the judge.

disturber

Archived