Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best Rock tone Evah!

MTM105

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8&NR=1

Sometimes I wonder if I've sold my soul for this....The whole flipping album.

Hearing the studio rendition gives me chills. Is that Vivian Campbell? What is his set up? Any secrets? Modded Amp?

Dio is touring. If I'm not mistaken, he's 67 years old. Jesus Christ.

He'll never be 1/2 the man I am, though. Literally.

Yes...That is Vivian. For the life of me, I will never understand why he joined Def leppard. Don't get me wrong, Phil Collen is *extremely* underrated, but IMHO Viv is wasted in that line-up. He is basically a rhythm player and backup singer. I guess he wanted to get paid and i cannot fault him for that. IIRC he claimed for years after he left Dio that he was completely ripped off financially by RJD. He was just a kid and it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Viv was a *huge* reason for the success of those albums and should have been compensated accordingly.

Yes...That is Vivian. For the life of me, I will never understand why he joined Def leppard. Don't get me wrong, Phil Collen is *extremely* underrated, but IMHO Viv is wasted in that line-up.

I don't consider it a waste. He is on stage with what is probably now the best Rock band playing live. (not historically, but lucratively)

He's on stage making great $, living like a rock star. Doesn't seem like he has to make any real desicions. I don't think he sold out. Just a good business decision. He's keeping the music alive, IMO. He can easially retire off of that $.

I wish it were me....

IIRC he claimed for years after he left Dio that he was completely ripped off financially by RJD. He was just a kid and it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Viv was a *huge* reason for the success of those albums and should have been compensated accordingly.

Johnny Dio is a Mafia name RJD utilized as a stage name.

You reap what you sow.

Yes...That is Vivian. For the life of me, I will never understand why he joined Def leppard. Don't get me wrong, Phil Collen is *extremely* underrated, but IMHO Viv is wasted in that line-up.

I don't consider it a waste. He is on stage with what is probably now the best Rock band playing live. (not historically, but lucratively)

He's on stage making great $, living like a rock star. Doesn't seem like he has to make any real desicions. I don't think he sold out. Just a good business decision. He's keeping the music alive, IMO. He can easially retire off of that $.

I wish it were me....

IIRC he claimed for years after he left Dio that he was completely ripped off financially by RJD. He was just a kid and it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Viv was a *huge* reason for the success of those albums and should have been compensated accordingly.

Johnny Dio is a Mafia name RJD utilized as a stage name.

You reap what you sow.

Don't think he's wasted on Def Leppard either. I think he's gotten more tasteful in his playing as he's gotten older.

I was watching CMT Crossroads Taylor Swift and Def Leppard with my wife a while back. She's into country so yeah.

I pointed out Vivian to her and told her he used to play with Dio and Whitesnake and she couldn't believe it.

Funny. I was doing some painting yesterday and had a rock radio channel on that I never listen too otherwise.

They played Rainbow in the dark and I thought that guitartone was awesome. Cant remember when I heard it last before that. I met Ronnie once, great fellow, he gave me a beer.

Funny. I was doing some painting yesterday and had a rock radio channel on that I never listen too otherwise.

They played Rainbow in the dark and I thought that guitartone was awesome.

I frequent McKays, a local used bookstore. They throw out a 1/2 ton of stuff everyday in the free book bin and I picked up a promo video collection today, one which has Dio Live Holy Diver. He looks old, maybe a few years younger for his age. But even Mick Jagger is losing his voice......I don't see how he could lead Black Sabbath with real integrity.

RONNIE JAMES DIO On VIVIAN CAMPBELL: 'I Hope He F**king Dies' - Oct. 2, 2007

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BlabberMo...ewsitemID=81899

Oct. 29, 2003

In a recent interview posted on DEF LEPPARD's official web site, current DEF LEPPARD/former DIO guitarist Vivian Campbell talked about his disdain for hard rock. "The real irony of that is I actually don't like hard rock music," he said. "I know it's a strange thing to say, but I don't really care about my past contributions. Even now I still get these guys coming up to me going 'Duuuuuuuude!', giving me the DIO devil sign and yelling 'Holy Diver!!' and 'Rainbow In The Dark, whoo hoo!!' and it's cool that they remember it, but that music never mattered to me — and still doesn't." Campbell went on to praise and rip Ronnie James Dio, with whom he had an acrimonious split in the mid-'80s, "Oh yeah, night after night, [Ronnie] was absolutely on the money," Vivian said. "An incredibly strong voice and within that niche genre of dungeons and dragons and rainbows and midgets... You know, the sorta old school heavy metal, he's an incredible talent. But he's an awful businessman and way more importantly, one of the vilest people in the industry

I always admired Viv and how he ripped with taste, back in the Dio days. However, I'm glad he's playing with Def Leppard now. I don't think it's a waste. Viv seems just to be into something different these days... and in addition he's making money, which is just great.

I can see after making a name for himself not not liking (Spinal Tap) Heavy Metal lifestyle. His point is that its a fictitious lifestyle and he no longer finds it meaningful. Perhaps Randy Rhoads found it the same way. I would imagine it's all about Alpha male syndrome.

But VC seems disrespectful not thanking Dio helping him make a name for himself. But then, Dio probably kept most of the proceeds and treated VC like a dog.

Yes...That is Vivian. For the life of me, I will never understand why he joined Def leppard. Don't get me wrong, Phil Collen is *extremely* underrated, but IMHO Viv is wasted in that line-up. He is basically a rhythm player and backup singer. I guess he wanted to get paid and i cannot fault him for that. IIRC he claimed for years after he left Dio that he was completely ripped off financially by RJD. He was just a kid and it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Viv was a *huge* reason for the success of those albums and should have been compensated accordingly.

When I saw Def Leppard last year Phil and Viv spilt the solos ca 50-50

I always admired Viv and how he ripped with taste, back in the Dio days. However, I'm glad he's playing with Def Leppard now. I don't think it's a waste. Viv seems just to be into something different these days... and in addition he's making money, which is just great.

Is he making money? Does anyone know his arrangement with the business end of things? Most of their royalties come from the albums he didn't play on, with songs he didn't write. The Stones didn't make Ron Wood a 'full member,' money-wise, for 17 years.

Is he making money? Does anyone know his arrangement with the business end of things? Most of their royalties come from the albums he didn't play on, with songs he didn't write. The Stones didn't make Ron Wood a 'full member,' money-wise, for 17 years.

While their royalties come from songs they still make a good amount of money from concerts.

I'm sure Vivian is a hired gun but the paycheck is probably pretty darned good.

I guess Viv is just a plain idiot and should walk away from playing in front of 50K live audiences...

Damn fool. What kind of life is that?

He probably wasn't getting the cut he well deserved with Dio. That is probably why he is so disrespectful to Dio. I'm sure he is very well compensated. He is laughing all the way to the bank and can care less what people think he should or should not do. When the Touring is done, or band breaks up, he'll have plenty of options to consider, one would be his bank account.

Viv considers himself to be a success. I do to. 999.99% of guitarists never reach his level. He isn't concerned what pundits think.

Here is some EARLY Dio....

th_dio-1.jpgth_dio2-1.jpg

"In a recent interview posted on DEF LEPPARD's official web site, current DEF LEPPARD/former DIO guitarist Vivian Campbell talked about his disdain for hard rock. "The real irony of that is I actually don't like hard rock music," he said. "I know it's a strange thing to say, but I don't really care about my past contributions. Even now I still get these guys coming up to me going 'Duuuuuuuude!', giving me the DIO devil sign and yelling 'Holy Diver!!' and 'Rainbow In The Dark, whoo hoo!!' and it's cool that they remember it, but that music never mattered to me — and still doesn't." Campbell went on to praise and rip Ronnie James Dio, with whom he had an acrimonious split in the mid-'80s, "Oh yeah, night after night, [Ronnie] was absolutely on the money," Vivian said. "An incredibly strong voice and within that niche genre of dungeons and dragons and rainbows and midgets... You know, the sorta old school heavy metal, he's an incredible talent. But he's an awful businessman and way more importantly, one of the vilest people in the industry"

wtf?????? last i checked def leppard is hard rock , is he saying he dislikes his current band ??????????

strange...............................

Archived