Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is it a Gender or a Fibson?

Mindseyes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of reminds me of the gibbo mIII that the did in the 80's/early 90s - however that body blank looks a bit close for comfort- bit close to the knuckle. Not sure what I think either - except I can't think of any of my guitar mates who would give the it time of day. Perhaps the marketing team have a lot of budget and sway with the manufacturing team... Both gibbo and fender have now got frankly massive portfolios of models/place of origin/spec options etc that I find it pretty hard to take them seriously - is this a case of defocusing on the key brand statements in order to have a mass Market appeal? I struggle to understand that there are enough buyers for a ltd edition, let alone fullproduction run - str*t/lp metalflavour passive kinman mirror plate nos roadworn Mexican built Korean produced lsr nut robot tuning Roland integrated swamp ash chambered photoflame carbon reinforced trimlok tunered relic finish modelling model. Let alone all of the above minus one featuture for a whole seperate line. Ok that's excessive - but you know what I mean...

Cynical Spodey.

Where's Murkat? Maybe he can explain the special kind of crack rock those guys are smokin'.

Like someone else over at TGP said "when do we see the Fender Jimmy Page signature?"

Okay:

Here are (ALL) the comments as of 8:30PM tonight...let's see if they stick around!

Comments

johnny beane

oh yeah!

9/22/2009 12:43:59 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Comment required! Report abuse text

Matt

Does this mean Fender gets to make single-cut style guitars now? I dunno, if I want an LP I'll buy a Gibson, if I want a Strat I'll buy a Fender. Do what you're good at.

9/22/2009 1:01:38 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Dan

Somebody call Bellview and have Henry commited.

9/22/2009 1:03:18 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

John

Anyone who remembers and respects Jimi's legacy should be ashamed to buy this guitar. How can you call a guitar a Jimi Hendrix model when it didn't even exist while Jimi was alive? I spend around $500,000 a year on guitars and musical equipment but because of Gibson's unbelievably bad descisions on new guitar models and their unethical treatment of their dealers I don't spend any of that money on new Gibsons anymore. I buy vintage or used Gibsons so that the company doesn't get any of my money.

9/22/2009 2:15:16 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

JD

Reminds me of the headstock on my Silvertone Strat-knockoff.

9/22/2009 2:28:13 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

John

necks imported from China?

9/22/2009 2:39:09 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Jamie

The extremely litigious Gibson company now goes around ripping off other companies designed.

Let's see how quickly Fender gets sued when they decide to make a single cutaway duel humbucker guitar like PRS.

Gibson should be ashamed of themselves. The only guitars I want from "Gibson" are the ones coming out of Kalamazoo since the mid 80s. Next time... Heritage will be getting my money.

9/22/2009 2:41:51 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Jimi

how dare you tarnish my legacy this way! Fail.

9/22/2009 4:00:56 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Geosh

Wow, this could be the single worst idea that anyone at Gibson has ever had!! I was starting to get back into Gibson instruments, but with "great ideas" like this coming out of the factory I don't know what to think anymore. Next will have a Danelectro clone? It can be on my list of things never to buy.

9/22/2009 5:02:18 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Joey

this is so terrible, Fender should make an angus young signature sg just to piss off gibson cuz im sure fender is angry

9/22/2009 5:19:39 PM

Report abuse

Report abuse

Jimmy St-Germain

Gibson made a big doodoo.

9/22/2009 5:28:40 PM

Report abuse

Greg M.

Are you out of your minds?

Expect to have crates of these collecting dust in that warehouse where you have to stash all those worthless "Robot" guitars!

Ever heard of something called "Market Research"?

NOBODY is going to buy this junk!

9/22/2009 5:38:05 PM

Comment required!

Report abuse text

Joel

I have never played a Gibson that I liked more than a Fender Stratocaster.

Imitation is the best form of flattery, and by doing this, Gibson is admitting that a Strat is a superior guitar. I just hope that Fender is above this.

9/22/2009 5:38:12 PM

Comment required!

Report abuse text

Ryyyan

Wow. Somebody get out the tugboat, because a large shipment of FAIL just came up the Mississippi. What an insult and obvious money grab. About as bad as the Hendrix Electric Vodka. Resign, Joanie. And Henry too-- you're both just as bad as the Wall Street speculators.

9/22/2009 5:37:54 PM

Comment required!

Report abuse text

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Jimi just rolled over in his grave and died again

9/22/2009 5:39:56 PM

Comment required!

Report abuse text

what models are those supposed to be? Any idea what the finished product will look like? For a second I thought maybe Gibson was actually going to try to put some real money into it's KRAMER line, but I guess I was mistaken.

Where's Murkat? Maybe he can explain the special kind of crack rock those guys are smokin'.

Like someone else over at TGP said "when do we see the Fender Jimmy Page signature?"

I'm located at the GCS, a totally differnent location, and totally different divsion than the USA plant...

dont drag me into that crap. how embarrasing. They (the plant) try and try. one step forward, two steps back.

what models are those supposed to be? Any idea what the finished product will look like? For a second I thought maybe Gibson was actually going to try to put some real money into it's KRAMER line, but I guess I was mistaken.

Jimi Hendrix model.

I have no commentary to offer - as absolutely nothing witty is coming to mind...

Sad. Just sad.

wtf... well I guess they offered the Hendrix estate more money... or maybe because it's a TRIBUTE model, it doesn't require that. But I'd wager it's a money thing. If any company should be doing a Hendrix reissue, it's Fender.

They should get Dweezil Zappa on the horn so they can borrow Jimi's burnt strat. Lets see their relic department pull THAT off.

It was taken down around 10pm EST.

I don't think they were expecting a 95% negative reaction!

Kind of shows how out of touch that particular part of the company is - as one commenter mentioned, I'd think you'd see if anybody would want it first before going into full production. An overwhelmingly negative response on the first unveiling is not a good sign.

I am not a Gibson basher, for the record. They have many great guitars and do many things well and have for years. I have owned plenty, still own the first LP I bought almost 30 years ago and like a lot of stuff they make.

THIS is just stupid.

I'm located at the GCS, a totally differnent location, and totally different divsion than the USA plant...

dont drag me into that crap. how embarrasing. They (the plant) try and try. one step forward, two steps back.

Sorry Pardner, didn't mean to offend. I should have qualified that "They" better. I totally mean the upper echelon, not the guys down on the shop floor.

My apologies!

Paul Smith must be getting a laugh out of this. :)

Pics are still up - wonder if this cynical gender-bender is going to see the light of day.

guitar-004.jpg

Consider how much wood they've got to shred now. They could make matchsticks out of them that qualify to light big Havannas. Any better ideas?

I don't know, watching the model languish and fail (like the robot, darkfire, GOTM etc) will be satisfying enough.

edit:

Why is it unsurprising that every single guitar in Wildwood's blowout list (bar one Ric) is a Gibson?

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/blowout/

Lol, lots of Robot guitars on blowout.

The headstock is reversed, but should'nt a Jimi guitar have the lower horn on the upper side longer on the low side, as he played the strat upside down. Gibs*n got it all wrong on this one. That headstock looks like it was designed by someone who likes to smoke the bong.

Couple of points: just my $0.02:

1. finding fault with Gibson here is like finding fault with anyone who capitalizes on a potential profit making opportunity. If the Hendrix estate came to me with an offer to capitalize on Hendrix' legacy, you better believe I'd come up with something - Hendrix' legacy (from a pure marketing standpoint) is an absolute cash cow waiting only to be milked. Now, putting the emotional attachment back into Hendrix' legacy, what a misstep for the Estate: asking anyone but Fender to put out this guitar is a shame. Of course, we don't know if Fender was approached and declined, but, again, given the potential, I can't help but assume the Estate chose Gibson only on the basis of what was in it for them rather than historical accuracy. That is a shame and I believe will result to their detriment rather than their benefit ((Fender lower per-piece return + huge volume) > (Gibson higher per-piece return + low volume)) - my opinion.

2. a disconnect between Gibson's management and its market seems rather evident given the line of recent missteps. The fact that such marketing flops as the Roboguitar and this odd duck have been brought all the way (well, nearly all the way in the most recent case) to market makes it seem like they are holed up in a room and the committee is believing their own BS rather than performing basic and necessary due diligence in the market.

To me Gibson has an advantage on other companies Gibson just doesn't seem to get. I can take any guitar any where and no one makes a comment, but when I pull out my Gibson non-guitar playing people take notice. Everyone knows the mark and, whether accurate or not, the non-guitar playing public (especially those over the age of say, 50) holds it in high regard. Marketing missteps and the perception of QC problems (whether valid or not) in the regular production lines can and will erode this very quickly. Whereas the prior generation believed in the Gibson name, folks my age and younger have a hard time pulling the trigger on non-CS Gibsons without playing them first (a problem many other companies just don't have).

And, whether you like or appreciate Juszkiewicz and his team or not, from the standpoint of corporate turnaround (i.e., return to shareholders) this Gibson thing has worked out marvelously. If I were to get his ear and if he cared to listen, I'd recommend he stop with trying to develop the newest goofy guitar and get back to basics. Use the other brands (and he has a ton of them now) to develop robots, zoot suits, etc., and concentrate on making the best Les Paul, SG, Firebird, etc. in the market. Milk the legacy. Expanding the legacy is watering it down.

Again, just my $0.02. YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.

Hey if Gibson wants to make a setneck strat style guitar I say go for it. Nobody else is doing it. Maybe Jimi secretly wanted a 24.75" scale set neck strat; maybe he told his family that; maybe they just made the shit up. "Inspired by" models...hey it's working for Dimebag.

To me Gibson has an advantage on other companies Gibson just doesn't seem to get. I can take any guitar any where and no one makes a comment, but when I pull out my Gibson non-guitar playing people take notice. Everyone knows the mark and, whether accurate or not, the non-guitar playing public (especially those over the age of say, 50) holds it in high regard.

Ah, but maybe they do get it. Maybe that's the market they're going for: non-guitar playing baby boomers with lots of cash to spend on things that remind them of their youth who could care less whether it says Fender or Gibson on the headstock, as long as it looks like what Jimi played at Woodstock.

Make no mistake, there are plenty of lemmings who will buy these. This ain't the Robot Guitar.

Gibson has simply purchased another "brand". Unfortunately, it is the Jimi Hendrix brand as being put forth by his family and others that seek to profit from and carry on his musical legacy. Releasing music is one thing (even if it may not have been something Jimi would have wanted to be released?) but selling his name to attach to a guitar he never played is something else entirely. I could come up with a new variety of LSD and say "Hey man, Jimi would have totally grooved on this!" but hey, he is dead and there is no way to prove speculation like this.

Not to dis the family, because I can't know their intentions or mindset, but when I see things moving from "what the artist actually used" to "inspired by", it takes on a whole different meaning. One of pure speculation and likely greed.

Seeing the response to this, it is obvious that those who have respect for Jimi and his contribution to music see this in a negative light. NO ONE can speak for Jimi, no matter how close they were or how visionary they claim to be with regard to his likely progression as an artist or cunsumer of musical instruments.

I hope this crashes and burns hard.

Z

Archived