Hamer Fan Club Message Center

T-62

rugby1970

Owned several, what would you like to know?

The EQ is a parametric boost with 3 frequency controls and a gain control. they are accessed through the back plate via a small screw driver. A lot of guys find this feature to be useless and replace it with a tone control. I disagree. I found it to be awesome for a goose in volume when going to solo. I gigged heavily with mine and loved it. I had a seafoam T-62 that to this day is the best strat sounding guitar I have ever heard. I loaded it with Fralin Woodstocks and it was an amazing guitar.

The built in eq came from two different manufacturers. One, whos brand name I can not remember, was prone to failure. The other one was an EMG-circuit, (they still sell it). I have the EMG version in my T62 and it works fine. I too use it as a boost. It can be set to make my guitar sound more 80's, like a Steve Lukather type of sound from that era, or as a more neutral boost. Or I have had it set to round off the highs a bit. It's not a tone control, but I find that it can be useful in a nother type of way.

For some reason I find that the active cirquit sounds best through my Fender amps. It does not sound so good through my Marshalls, so I don't engage it when playing through those type of amps. I rather change my sound with a pedal then.

So it's accessed via toggle switch? Am I correct in stating that there is no tone control on the face of the body? One volume control knob?

Not a toggle. There are little holes in the back control plate and if you want to tweak the trim pots, you have to use a jewelers screwdriver (or somesuch object) to do it. Obviously, these settings are made to stay at the values you set and not be changed on the fly.

The mini-toggle turns the active electronics/boost on or off.

The 5-way blade switch functions like on a normal Strat.

I also found the EQ an effective addition for Tone. And the T-62's are extremely well built Strats. Simply set your EQ/Boost to where you want it for leads. Replace the back electronics plate. Then hit the mini Toggle when your ready for leads.

They are slightly smaller than a Fender Strat or a Hamer Daytona. The reason I let mine go was due to the thinner neck profile. Some may find this no issue at all. But I prefer larger necks 59 Gibson, SRV 60 Fender, Wide-Fat PRS to give you an idea. The one I owned had one of most Highly Figured necks I've sen to date. Exceptional Strat. But they contain Alder bodies, Maple [highly figured] necks with Pao Ferro fret boards.

Here's a shot of my old T-62

9ca1506e.jpg

If you look closely you see the Mini Toggle right above the pick-guard. and you'll notice the thinner horns than a Fender Strat. Some say 3/4 size of a Strat. But I don't believe thats an acurate description. They [T-62's] are sanded by hand much more than a Strat and shaped slightly different. And slightly smaller, but 3/4 I think is a little extreme. Though I could be wrong. The Bolt-On neck plate is at an angle slanting towards the neck to make upper access better than a Fender Strat. They came stock with Seymour Duncan SS1s which are nice just were not my cup of tea. Due to my 62 being the first Cherry Burst released by Hamer I didn't fool with it and left it completely stock. I sold it in collector condition to a member here back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Ya I been around here that long....on and off. The bridge Tremblo unit are Wilkinson are very good units. They come stock with Sperzel locking Tuners and a flat radius. I want to say 14 but I could be wrong. If you like thinner necks you will be hard pressed to find a nicer Strat without going Masterbuilt Fender Custom Shop.

Here's a shot of my old T-62

9ca1506e.jpg

That one looks like the evil twin brother to my T-62, could it even be the same? Did your have gold hardware, it looks like it from the pic? (Then I guess it's not the same guitar).

01-T-62-body.jpg

No it didn't have Gold Hardware. But your right, they are very very close.

Looking at the wood grain though they could very well be the same T-62 though?

MOF I believe my T-62 ended up in your country via another member here on the board. My sister did the actual S+H due to my traveling at that time. I might be mistaken with the hardware.

I wish I kept a note of the serial. But I know the way the Hamer logo layed on the headstock..............It wasn't completely flat and a little wavey. I believe by the serial it was also the 12th over T-62 built at Hamer and the 3rd Sunburst and First Cherry Burst. Looks like you've kept it in KILLER condition Bro. Kudos to you!

The eq is activated, not accessed, via the toggle as hectorp describes. Semantics, I am sure...but important to note nonetheless.

FWIW, I consider these to be in the top three guitars that Hamer has ever built.

I agree that they are among Hamer's best.

The 'appointments' (very high quality hardware, Pau Ferro fretboard, birdseye neck, specialty electronics) are superior and the design (I've heard it described a 7/8s size) is cool and comfortable.

I currently have 3.

No it didn't have Gold Hardware. But your right, they are very very close.

Looking at the wood grain though they could very well be the same T-62 though?

MOF I believe my T-62 ended up in your country via another member here on the board. My sister did the actual S+H due to my traveling at that time. I might be mistaken with the hardware.

I wish I kept a note of the serial. But I know the way the Hamer logo layed on the headstock..............It wasn't completely flat and a little wavey. I believe by the serial it was also the 12th over T-62 built at Hamer and the 3rd Sunburst and First Cherry Burst. Looks like you've kept it in KILLER condition Bro. Kudos to you!

Looking at the pattern on the pick guard I really think it is the same guitar. I got mine from J Paul in Switzerland, he's on this board as well. Perhaps he bought it from you then, I know he had it for quite a while, probably in it's case as the condition ws 9.9 when I got it.

If you look closely you see the Mini Toggle right above the pick-guard. and you'll notice the thinner horns than a Fender Strat. Some say 3/4 size of a Strat. But I don't believe thats an acurate description. They [T-62's] are sanded by hand much more than a Strat and shaped slightly different. And slightly smaller, but 3/4 I think is a little extreme. Though I could be wrong. The Bolt-On neck plate is at an angle slanting towards the neck to make upper access better than a Fender Strat. They came stock with Seymour Duncan SS1s which are nice just were not my cup of tea. Due to my 62 being the first Cherry Burst released by Hamer I didn't fool with it and left it completely stock. I sold it in collector condition to a member here back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Ya I been around here that long....on and off. The bridge Tremblo unit are Wilkinson are very good units. They come stock with Sperzel locking Tuners and a flat radius. I want to say 14 but I could be wrong. If you like thinner necks you will be hard pressed to find a nicer Strat without going Masterbuilt Fender Custom Shop.

The tremolo unit is actually an ABM fulcrum roller unit. That particular ABM unit is a very good 2-point floating tremolo design. It's smooth, the tone isn't thin, and the construction is good quality. I kind of wish Hamer had used them in more of their lineup back in the 90's. IMHO the T-62 is it's kind of Hamer's take on something similar to a Tom Anderson or Suhr guitar kind of how the Daytona is similar to a Fender Custom Shop Strat guitar. Only downside on the T-62 for me is the necks tend to be on the skinny side.

I think I owned that as well. Mine still had the list price sticker on the backplate when I sold it. That was the absolute killer figured neck on mine.

I believe I bought it from you. And your right the list price was still on the Control plate. I also left it their when I let it go. Yes...the neck was easily one of most figured maple necks I've came across to date. And the Trem unit was way ahead of its time and reminded me of Mann Made units.

Small World.

Anyway SORRY to take your tread in other directions...no harm meant!

I think I owned that as well. Mine still had the list price sticker on the backplate when I sold it. That was the absolute killer figured neck on mine.

I believe I bought it from you. And your right the list price was still on the Control plate. I also left it their when I let it go. Yes...the neck was easily one of most figured maple necks I've came across to date. And the Trem unit was way ahead of its time and reminded me of Mann Made units.

Small World.

That sticker is still there. I think it says 2 100 dollars, that was in 1991! I wonder what that would be today?

Archived