Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Aerosmith or Skynyrd

I know this is really juvenile....

I am a Skynyrd fan. My wife is an Aerosmith fan. Like, who cares? Anyway, I try to think of other bands which originated in the US who have become more successful, and I really can't. I understand that success is a loose term.

Boston had a good run, but only one good album. You could argue Guns-n-Roses, but they are a train-wreck and I don't know if they are still together. Bon Jovi...I don't think so. Springsteen? Doubt it. I am from NJ, by the way.

It seems that most of the great bands came from across the lake...or down under.

Brad Whitford plays the new Korina flying V, by the way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerosmith far surpassed Skynyrd in terms of sales in the 80s. That being said, I'm not nuts about anything they've done since 1979, though they're still one of my favorite bands. Skynyrd gets real old real fast for me and I can't listen or watch the retreaded lineups, Boston too-probably too much airplay.

GnR is good, but I always thought that Slash was the band, not Axl-who was probably the most overrated vocalist ever.

STP was a great band, but I don't think that they are on the same icon level as Aerosmith or Skynyrd. Cheap Trick has always been one of my favorites, but they aren't usually mentioned in the same breath as the others unless they're touring with 'em.

In addition to the korina Vector, Brad was also touring with a korina Standard (that I got to fondle) and a korina Junior.

To me Skynyrd was the most "American" band of the two, Aerosmith has much more "british" influences.

The ultimate "American" band for me was the Lowell George period of Little Feat.

But this is an opinion from over the pond....

I am a Skynyrd fan. My wife is an Aerosmith fan. I try to think of other bands which originated in the US who have become more successful, and I really can't. I understand that success is a loose term.

Boston had a good run, but only one good album. You could argue Guns-n-Roses, but they are a train-wreck and I don't know if they are still together. Bon Jovi...I don't think so. Springsteen? Doubt it.

It seems that most of the great bands came from across the lake...or down under.

Brad Whitford is plays the new Korina flying V, by the way.

For 'American-ness,' for record sales, I don't see how you top Bruce.

Of course, if you say success = record sales, then Michael Jackson is your winna. :D

Funny. While having breakfast this morning, I put a live DVD of LS, and thought, these guys are IT.

But, apart from their forced lineups changes, they have taken a "niche" aproach to their music, while Aerosmith have taken a more "universal" -read commercial- approach, so I guess most people would go for them instead.

Tasty, tasty players, with great hooks and tone.

Tasty, tasty players, with great hooks and tone.

Who? Skynard, Aerosmith, or both?

I am a Skynyrd fan. My wife is an Aerosmith fan.

Your wife is right.

Top-of-the-head US bands I'd rank above Skynard:

In addition to those already mentioned:

Beach Boys

Grateful Dead

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

The Cars

Talking Heads

Alice Cooper

REM

I believe that the Eagles do have a position in the top three.

But they broke up for about 2 decades and were pretty bitter about it and it seems there were a lot of egotistical madness. Aerosmith did the same thing.

Skynyrd as a whole never broke up, until, of course, literally.

They have made a sincere attempt at regrouping, Gary had quadruple bipass. I might see them at McCoy in Aug., but that is because I am on mission and I won't have anything better to do.

FYI. I read that Gary Rossington is the only artist to have a signature LP named after him by both Gibson and Ephiphone, and there is also the Epiphone Skynryd guitar.

Um, OK then Kiss wins hands down!

Paul Stanley has had guitars made as "Paul Thanley" models from Ibanez, Washburn, either Framus or Hofner (it's hard to keep tabs on that) and probably Danelectro and Fender too by now.

Ace has the Ace Frehley Model LP from both Gibson and Epiphone too and that was well before Rossington.

Kiss is a bunch of six foot, hot look "All American M(e)n", baby. :D

They've sold more board games, bubble gum cards, coffin coolers and mylar posters than Skynyrd has sold LPs. :D

They have made a sincere attempt at regrouping, Gary had quadruple bipass. 

What, they get bonus points for effort?

I'd never rate a retarded, one-dimensional band as #1.

And while we're discussing self-destructive Southern Rock bands, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Allman Brothers. Gawd, those guys were/are good.

Paul Stanley has had guitars made as "Paul Thanley" models from Ibanez, Washburn, either Framus or Hofner (it's hard to keep tabs on that) and probably Danelectro and Fender too by now.

Don't forget Silvertone, his last endorsement before I blinked. Remember, he can play anything he wants. He CHOOSES Silvertone.

They have made a sincere attempt at regrouping, Gary had quadruple bipass. 

What, they get bonus points for effort?

I'd never rate a retarded, one-dimensional band as #1.

And while we're discussing self-destructive Southern Rock bands, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Allman Brothers. Gawd, those guys were/are good.

one dimensional maybe but the problem I run into is that IMO Ed King and Steve Gaines ( w/ the exception of Trucks and Herring ) are just better and more creative players than the guys from the Allmans, I know, let a shit storm insue,but Ed King is a god on lead guitar, period, and Gaines was too. I've played all this stuff and the problem is those retards made it sound easy, and it ain't, the Skynrd stuff is MUY hard to do right, the Allmans stuff is not , all my opinion. Having said this, it's still ZZ Top

+1 for the Cars

in defense of the Eagles and their break up, they did come back with, IMO, their best album. Hell Freezes Over is classic

and yeah, Skynyrd is one dimensional, but they've managed to sail a long damn way on one dimension.

what about Creedence? The Police? U2?

KISS may very well claim the title.

But is anyone able to listen to their music without taking Valium?

Even Ozzy had to admit what they did professionally was amazing.

I'm putting in a +1 for Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers as at least a top 5. I'm seeing them tonight again, so I'm a bit juiced up, but he's charted more than LS and probably sold more records (pure guesswork on my part!).

As far as Gib/Epi endorsers getting sig models - there's also an Epi Zakk Wilde sig model, and just for laughs, there were Elvis signature editions on both sides of that fence too!

It's gotta be ZZ-Top, IMO. Aerosmith is up there too, although I've never particularly liked the sober version. I prefer when Aerosmith was still a rock band.

Archived