Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Aerosmith or Skynyrd

Skynyrd as a whole never broke up, until, of course, literally. 

They have made a sincere attempt at regrouping, Gary had quadruple bipass. 

What, they get bonus points for effort?

I'd never rate a retarded, one-dimensional band as #1.

And while we're discussing self-destructive Southern Rock bands, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Allman Brothers. Gawd, those guys were/are good.

one dimensional maybe but the problem I run into is that IMO Ed King and Steve Gaines ( w/ the exception of Trucks and Herring ) are just better and more creative players than the guys from the Allmans, I know, let a shit storm insue,but Ed King is a god on lead guitar, period, and Gaines was too. I've played all this stuff and the problem is those retards made it sound easy, and it ain't, the Skynrd stuff is MUY hard to do right, the Allmans stuff is not , all my opinion. Having said this, it's still ZZ Top

I always had more trouble with Allman's arrangements than LS's but maybe that's just me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy, are ya doing the licks 100% as recorded? I know a Little, That Smell, Sweet Home et al, I've heard many guys rag Skynyrd and not do it right ( not that you don't ) , it's like Smoke on the Water, 9 out of 10 playing it to be funny play it in the wrong key and position

Sandy, are ya doing the licks 100% as recorded? I know a Little, That Smell, Sweet Home et al, I've heard many guys rag Skynyrd and not do it right ( not that you don't ) , it's like Smoke on the Water, 9 out of 10 playing it to be funny play it in the wrong key and position

We don't do ANYTHING 100% as recorded but I stay to the spirit of the grooves as much as possible. I Know a Little is a cool set of licks so I try to do that one pretty close to the original.

Allmans do some timing stuff like in 'Love is Everywhere' and weird scales and timing in 'Elizabeth Reed.' We do 'One Way Out' with a totally different groove.

one dimensional maybe but the problem I run into is that IMO Ed King and Steve Gaines ( w/ the exception of Trucks and Herring ) are just better and more creative players than the guys from the Allmans, I know, let a shit storm insue,

Well, I finally disagree with HHB!

Better technically perhaps, more creative I doubt. Plus, we're talking about the best American bands here, not who's a "better" guitarist...I can and do listen to numerous ABB albums start to finish, I can't handle more than 2 Skynyrd tunes in a row.

The correct :D order is:

1. The Allman Brothers Band

2. Aerosmith

3. Eagles

4. Little Feat

5. ZZ Top

6. CSN&Y

7. The Doobie Brothers

8. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

9. Chicago

10. CCR

11. Marshall Tucker Band

12. Freddie Jones Band

etc etc...

Lynyrd is down near number 59 or so, due to extremely annoying background female vocals, mundane honky tonk piano riffs, and relentlessly redneck song orientation. They rank below Big Block Dodge, Jefferson Airplane, and Loggins & Messina... :D .

edited to include Tom Petty... :D

I KNEW Bobby Mack was gonna have something to say, I see your points, but I'm in love w/ those guitar parts , BBD has got to be up there though LOL

edited to add, I hate the post crash "band" I'm talking about up to '77

Yup, I knew there was another brand in there. Thilvertone!

How could I forget Dave Van Halen? Geez-not enough caffeine I suppose!

FYI.  Gary Rossington is the only artist to have a guitar named after him by both Gibson and Ephiphone, and there is also the Epiphone Skynryd guitar.

FYI?

Um, ever hear of Howard Roberts?

epi2.jpegS_hrgib.jpgHowardRoberts.jpg

First one is a USA Epiphone with spruce top and Frequensator Tailpiece from the '60s. Second is a maple-topped Gibson. Third is a maple-ply MIK Epi.

He also had the Fusion and Fusion II with Gibson.

hrfusionfront.jpg

There there's Joe Pass.

JoePass2.jpgjoe_pass_nat_front_b.jpg

... and B.B. King

2260.jpglucille.jpg

And Ace Frehley as was mentioned before, Bob Marley, Joe Perry, Zak Wylde ... the list goes on and on.

Lynyrd Skynyrd after the crash had most of its members, but it has been nearly 30 years since that time. Not many bands stay together with the original members that long.

When we are talking about success are we talking about bands "in their day" or an overall career? We have been throwing out names of bands that have had empty years and bands that have never stopped.

I do not like the Eagles, but they are for the most part intact from their heyday. Their music has remained popular.

KISS has never broken up. They have had ups and downs but they still plug away.

Aerosmith is still the original band, and they never really broke up. The early 80's were screwed up for them, but there was still a band going. Today they are on top with fans from 30 years ago and new fans that are into the new stuff. They are the American version of the Rolling Stones.

Props to ZZ Top for 30+ years with no line up changes. Not wild about their 80's-mid 90's stuff though.

Aerosmith is cool until you get to the Desmond Child, Diane Warren penned shlock.

HHB speaks the damn truth about Skynryd. Take any 3 guitar players and get 'em to pull off a few covers correctlly and see what happens. I did a one off Skynyrd cover band and working out who did what was a bitch. King and Gaines are/were great lead players too.

Van Halen of course, does III count?

Not that I'm a huge fan but Metallica has sold a few in 20 years.

Skynryd for me, they never sold out . Aerosmith as much as I liked them up to the Done with mirrors album suck now, they are a bubble gum band, Perry and Whitfords guitar tone sucks, the songs suck, I hate what they've become.

"Aerosmith far surpassed Skynyrd in terms of sales in the 80s. That being said, I'm not nuts about anything they've done since 1979, though they're still one of my favorite bands. Skynyrd gets real old real fast for me and I can't listen or watch the retreaded lineups, Boston too-probably too much airplay."

"GnR is good, but I always thought that Slash was the band, not Axl-who was probably the most overrated vocalist ever."

"STP was a great band, but I don't think that they are on the same icon level as Aerosmith or Skynyrd. Cheap Trick has always been one of my favorites, but they aren't usually mentioned in the same breath as the others unless they're touring with 'em."

"In addition to the korina Vector, Brad was also touring with a korina Standard (that I got to fondle) and a korina Junior."

First, your wife is right. Second, read number #1. Your wife will always be right.

American Bands, the best is a hard choice.

ZZ Top was a great band but after Duplicator, I kinda lost interest. They have had a couple of hit and miss projects through the years but overall they have been solid.

The Eagles are probably the best band. The sound like their records. They are tremendous in concert.

I like Aerosmith. I like how they reinvented themselves. I am glad to see a sober Steven Tyler. When they are on, they are tight.

The Doors were pretty good in their heyday.

Steely Dan isn't mentioned. I have always thought they were a great band - no matter who the cast of players are. (They seemed to have worked with the best, expect Rick Nielsen - there is a joke there).

My favorite band - Cheap Trick. No surprises here.

Technically Eddie was born in the Netherlands...

he'll never make a US President, neither will Arnold.

I plead ignorance on the Signature comment....I don't even own a Gibson. I just thought I read it somewhere.

Rolling Stone mag rated Are You Experienced #1 most influential album (minus the Brits), and Allman Bros. Fillmore #2.

I would venture that the South has risen above in the arcane of rock(blues) music.

Today [Aerosmith is] on top with fans from 30 years ago and new fans that are into the new stuff.  They are the American version of the Rolling Stones.

What becomes apparent from this thread is that, although rock 'n' roll came from America, when it comes to the best bands, the Brits have it all over the US.

USA band top contenders:

Van Halen

Beach Boys

Doors

Steely Dan

Skynard

Allman Bros.

ZZ Top

Eagles

Santana perhaps?

Tom Petty 'n' the Heartbreakers

Cars

CSNY

Ramones

Jimi Hendrix

UK Bands:

The Shadows

Beatles

Rolling Stones

The Who

Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Police

Yes

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Sex Pistols

Cream

Blind Faith

Derek and the Dominos

Pink Floyd

2/3 of Jimi Hendrix Experience

Animals

Moody Blues

Deep Purple

The Hollies

The Fixx

Queen

UB40

U2

Depeche Mode

Eurythmics

The Cure

Long John Baldry

Manfred Mann

Rod Stewart / Small Faces

Spencer Davis Group

Van Morrison / Them

Yardbirds

Zombies

From a quality/influence/legacy point of view, Brit rock by and large CREAMS US rock.

The Eagles are probably the best band.  The sound like their records.  They are tremendous in concert.

I like Aerosmith.  I like how they reinvented themselves. 

The Doors were pretty good in their heyday. 

Steely Dan isn't mentioned.  I have always thought they were a great band - no matter who the cast of players are. 

+1 to those points, especially Steely Dan - no excuse for them not being on the list...

YES!!

Does Star Trek suck because Shatner sang Beatles songs?

No, it sucked hard long before Bill recorded that beat poetry shit :D . Nimoy's cover of "If I Had A Hammer" is a real jewel though.

Stike ducks to dodge flying pocket protectors.

YES!!

Does Star Trek suck because Shatner sang Beatles songs?

No, it sucked hard long before Bill recorded that beat poetry shit :D . Nimoy's cover of "If I Had A Hammer" is a real jewel though.

Stike ducks to dodge flying pocket protectors.

Perhaps the only thing keeping Eddie from a career resurgence is not throwing himself headfirst into a role as a bloated dot com pitchman.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but what has Skynard done since '77? I realize that they are still together (sort of), but when did they last get any radio airplay or sell a significant number of units of post Ronnie Van Zant material?

I'd put them in the same league as Hall & Oates. Still around, but playing small venues or warming up for other acts and living off old songs and royalties.

I suspect that part of my opinion may be based on where I live. Here in Minnesota, Skynard would likely be booked as a weekday State Fair headliner or into a 2500 seat arena. I suspect they could draw a bigger crowd in southern states.

I should also mention that I'm not a fan, though I will say that "Tuesday's Gone" is brilliantly written and performed.

Skynyrd had a hit single a few years back, "Red, White and Blue." After '77 was the Rossington Collins band which there was a great great album.

Allen Collins had MS and died from complications during the 80's. But he also turned out to be a loser, I think killing his girlfriend in a car while drunk and/or on heroin.

For some reason they won't let Artimus Pyle back into the band.

Donnie Van Zandt is leading vocals.

They seem like a novelty act now, but their performance in thier live DVD is worth the $. It is a before and after series.

Donnie Van Zant is the main reason I would never go to see Skynyrd even if you paid me to show up. I dig Rick Medlocke, but DVZ is the worst performer I've ever seen in my life. I saw .38 Spcl in '84 or so and it ranks as the worst show I've ever seen in 25+ years of concerts and shows. Two drummers were bad enough, but to have a little dwarfy goofball running around changing silly hats like Rick Nielsen changes guitars (and not even singing on any of the good material), it was clear that he was only in the band because of his name. He sucked BAD. I was actually getting to the point of getting pissed off/annoyed by that little f'er.

Men at Work was better and they sucked.

Arrrghheeeee (insert Howard Dean sound here)!!! I'm getting pissed just thinking about that show. :D

Today [Aerosmith is] on top with fans from 30 years ago and new fans that are into the new stuff.  They are the American version of the Rolling Stones.

What becomes apparent from this thread is that, although rock 'n' roll came from America, when it comes to the best bands, the Brits have it all over the US.

USA band top contenders:

Van Halen

Beach Boys

Doors

Steely Dan

Skynard

Allman Bros.

ZZ Top

Eagles

Santana perhaps?

Tom Petty 'n' the Heartbreakers

Cars

CSNY

Ramones

Jimi Hendrix

UK Bands:

The Shadows

Beatles

Rolling Stones

The Who

Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Police

Yes

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Sex Pistols

Cream

Blind Faith

Derek and the Dominos

Pink Floyd

2/3 of Jimi Hendrix Experience

Animals

Moody Blues

Deep Purple

The Hollies

The Fixx

Queen

UB40

U2

Depeche Mode

Eurythmics

The Cure

Long John Baldry

Manfred Mann

Rod Stewart / Small Faces

Spencer Davis Group

Van Morrison / Them

Yardbirds

Zombies

From a quality/influence/legacy point of view, Brit rock by and large CREAMS US rock.

UB40? Eurythmics? There are some reaches on that list. Howabout The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones? Black Flag? Grand Funk? Ratt? The Ventures? Night Ranger? Dead Kennedys? Band Of Gypsies? Television? Toto?

Umm where would Spinal Tap fit in?

Donnie Van Zant is the main reason I would never go to see Skynyrd even if you paid me to show up. I dig Rick Medlocke, but DVZ is the worst performer I've ever seen in my life. I saw .38 Spcl in '84 or so and it ranks as the worst show I've ever seen in 25+ years of concerts and shows. Two drummers were bad enough, but to have a little dwarfy goofball running around changing silly hats like Rick Nielsen changes guitars (and not even singing on any of the good material), it was clear that he was only in the band because of his name. He sucked BAD. I was actually getting to the point of getting pissed off/annoyed by that little f'er.

Men at Work was better and they sucked.

Arrrghheeeee (insert Howard Dean sound here)!!! I'm getting pissed just thinking about that show. :D

I've got a hunch that MTM105 is mistaken. I think RONNIE is singin' for Skynyrd these days, so you might have gotten all riled up about nothin'!

And I agree about Donnie ... that guy sucks MAJOR donkey!

Archived